• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

The Inevitable 2022 Pros Switching Sponsors Thread

I wonder how much this affects newer players vs older players?

I know I never bought a disc in my life because Climo threw it. Or any other pro. I understand fans, but I don't understand imitation just because someone else uses it.

I would say the effect can be spelled ...youtube and discgolf videos.

I played in the 90s but i never saw discgolf on Tv , , so back then i had no idea how Climo was or what he threw.

Personally I could care less about what models or brands the top players are using. Keep in mind I'm focusing this on probably a small handful of players…but in reality they're no different than the rest of us…just trying to maximize their situation within their profession…which happens to be throwing frisbees.

It's business just like anything else, so to say Innova is dead in the water if Ricky goes to DD, or Prodigy is in trouble because they lost a bunch of talent isn't necessarily true. Gotta figure, it's been a crazy 2 years. I'd imagine every manufacturer is in a completely different place right now than they could have ever imagined prior to Covid.

I'm sure Innova paid a lot of attention to sales numbers before and after Paul left. Gotta figure, we're the oddball minority of dg'ers who debate this stuff. There are a ton of players out there who have no idea who he is. If Ricky does end up at DD that just means they believe they're going to see a return on investment where Innova may not.

Or think of it this way: MVP has talked about ramping up production capabilities something silly like 1000% between more warehouse space, more equipment, and a larger staff. All that costs money. Each manufacturer is in a unique situation of what makes the most sense for them in order to grow their business. Choosing to reinvest in other aspects of the business and not sponsorship isn't the end of the world.

Why would they? I feel like most companies that make sunglasses straps make the sunglasses too. He's making them bank.

Roll tide!!

True. If Matty O had a way to keep his glasses on his face, we wouldn't have such great thumbnails for those Jomez videos

I know I never bought a disc in my life because Climo threw it. Or any other pro. I understand fans, but I don't understand imitation just because someone else uses it.
I don't know about you, but anymore at events I'm part of a small circle of disc golfers that kinda look around and go "who are these people?" :| For a long time we were small enough that disc golf was like a family. It's not anymore.

Back when we were a family, I could throw a Viper because everybody else does and Dave McCormack could look in my bag and go "Why do you have a Viper? You can't throw that. Get a Cyclone" and I'd go get a Cyclone. Then 10 years later I could look at a guy and go "Why do you have a Firebird? You can't throw that. Get an Eagle" and the guy would go get an Eagle. I was like the big brother or long-winded uncle in the family, helping the new guys. I helped a lot of guys build a bag like that. That's how it was a lot of the time.

Even when the "big time player throws this" thing would happen, it was more like "I met Timmy Gill and he was crushing these Flashes" and you could go "You aren't Timmy Gill and you need to get some XL's". After a couple of months of trying to be Timmy Gill, they would come around.

Now? Nobody cares what I think. They watched somebody's in the bag video so they are going to throw a Luna and they don't care that a Roach is cheaper and will fly identically for them. Who am I, anyway? I don't get them (you would have had me at "cheaper") and they don't get me.

So if they aren't going to listen to me or people like me, they are going to listen to somebody. There are 70 Kajillion in the bag videos by people Ive never heard of for a reason.

I would say the effect can be spelled ...youtube and discgolf videos.

I played in the 90s but i never saw discgolf on Tv , , so back then i had no idea how Climo was or what he threw.

This is true.

As a newer player, I don't try to bag discs because a particular pro throws the disc, but seeing/hearing coverage talk about a particular disc can inspire me to buy the disc to try.

I was looking for mids and picked up two buzzes and two truths to compare as well as a pig. Not feeling much love for the pig and I'm kind of bummed because I like the feel, I just don't seem to have the arm for it. The buzz seems a bit more OS than the Truth to me so I'm bagging Truths.

Does anyone have info from golf, that do average joes care what pros swing with or swing at, and buy accordingly?

Its just that were talking about cheap roundy pieces of plastic vs what do the good clubs cost? 2K?

Now? Nobody cares what I think. They watched somebody's in the bag video so they are going to throw a Luna and they don't care that a Roach is cheaper and will fly identically for them. Who am I, anyway? I don't get them (you would have had me at "cheaper") and they don't get me.

Roach prices are up due to f'n Bro-D. I like RB for putting and it's either a Bro-D or limited run. Luckily I love the ledgestone run this year and grabbed a few.

Also have a few 2020 McBeth TS Lunas in storage as a hedge against inflation.

Similarly, saw a thread on reddit where a dude was posting proudly about building his bag for years with mystery boxes. How do you build a bag from mystery boxes..... for years? Don't you ever find a mold you really like?

Does anyone have info from golf, that do average joes care what pros swing with or swing at, and buy accordingly?

Its just that were talking about cheap roundy pieces of plastic vs what do the good clubs cost? 2K?

"What's in the bag" is a thing in golf as well, although I don't think it's pushed as hard as it is in disc golf

I was in a league for a number of years (20 years ago) where people loved to show off their new equipment that Tiger, Phil, Vijay, or whoever else put their name on. Played with a guy that insisted on having whatever had Tiger's name attached to it. Each season something new would come out, and he wouldn't get better, but he kept buying the latest and "greatest" lol.

Roach prices are up due to f'n Bro-D. I like RB for putting and it's either a Bro-D or limited run. Luckily I love the ledgestone run this year and grabbed a few.

Also have a few 2020 McBeth TS Lunas in storage as a hedge against inflation.

Similarly, saw a thread on reddit where a dude was posting proudly about building his bag for years with mystery boxes. How do you build a bag from mystery boxes..... for years? Don't you ever find a mold you really like?
My actual answer to beadless OS putter is Warlock. Most people would never know the difference from the flight. You can buy them cheap all day long. Archer/Arrow; I'm sure a top player could swap a Luna or P2 for a Warlock and just keep rolling. Gateway doesn't sponsor anyone, so no one throws it.

The mystery box dude is a thing, though. I used to play with a guy in the 90's that spent hours roaming around the shule looking for discs; he proudly announced every round that he had never paid for a golf disc and his entire bag was discs he found. That was more of his goal than throwing well, so that Hammer with the dog chew marks on it was his midrange and it's really didn't matter if he could have thrown a Roc and scored better. Those guys are out there; marketing can't account for them.

100% certain. New drivers, new irons sell all the time because the pro's endorse them. And balls are probably even more likely to be selected because some pro talks about how great the spin and control is.

I think some of is....it works for them, it should work for me. Then there is the....I'll be a fan and support <whomever> by buying stuff with their name or what they use. Happens with every sport....that's why Nike sponsored Tiger Woods at the beginning of his golf career....fans would buy Nike gear just because of Tiger.

New (?) rumour: Mason Ford and Valerie Mandujano to DD... Maybe the two other DD has said was coming, beside the two Big ones.

If Cat goes to Discraft i´m surprised. . Cat and Paige in the same team . . with Uli as Captain?!?

Or, with Cat and Cam out, the Captain makes a surprise pivot back to Prodigy. Calm down. Not predicting. But definitely don't see those three coexisting under one roof.

If Cat goes to Discraft i´m surprised. . Cat and Paige in the same team . . with Uli as Captain?!?

I had the same thought about Uli, but....

They were both on Prodigy together. And Austin Hannum was on Discraft with Uli.

They don't have to coexist. People put waaaay too much weight on the meaning of "team" to sponsored players.

certainly this is true, but that doesn't mean it doesn't impact the players relationship with the sponsor.

Latest posts