• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

The Inevitable 2022 Pros Switching Sponsors Thread

5zws4d.jpg

As the contracts start to become more and more valuable, you will probably start to see buy out clauses for leaving early....

As of now I"m guessing there is very little detriment to leaving or being asked to leave

People are questioning the 'value of contracts'.

Nikko's contract with Westside was extended to 2023. Now he's no longer with Westside. Did the contract really have any meaning to either one?

Ricky had 5 years left with Innova. He's no longer with Innova. Did the contract really have any meaning to either one?

Catrina left Prodigy....I don't know if she still had time on her contract or not...so that could be different.

In disc golf, does a sponsor contract really have any value/meaning to either side? It doesn't appear to since contracts are being 'dropped/ignored' frequently. The contracts seem to be more of an agreement of convenience until something better comes along.

The Upshot video on sponsorship implied that in the past up until Paul went to DC that most of the deals were just verbal agreements.

Gotta figure, if you're doing more formal contract stuff you're starting to add legal costs. Multi year deals weren't common then either, so probably not worth any additional legal costs given the types of sponsorship dollars involved at the time for a single year deal.

Even if multi year deals were becoming more common, from the manufacturer's perspective it's a value situation. Do you think the likelihood of a player leaving a verbal agreement is worth the money you'd be putting towards the legal component to prevent it from happening? A couple years ago I don't think any of the manufacturers were too worried about it, but the combination of Paul's move to DC and the Covid boom changes things.

Other companies saw how much the move did for DC and now they want a piece of the action. It does look a bit bad to see players jumping ship after it appears they're still under contract, but right now at least I'd question how air tight most of those contracts really are. I would expect that to change going forward though, and you'll start seeing deals going the full length because contracts will be much more thorough and have penalties explicitly written in them.

In disc golf, does a sponsor contract really have any value/meaning to either side? It doesn't appear to since contracts are being 'dropped/ignored' frequently. The contracts seem to be more of an agreement of convenience until something better comes along.

It seems to be mostly benefitting the players, so they have some guarantee. We don't know the ins and outs of negotiations that go on that allow the players to play for new sponsors. It is fairly well known in sports though that if someone is not happy on a team, expecting 110% out of that player is a waste of time. In college football, there are starting to be more significant buyout clauses if coaches leave early. Maybe DG will start seeing that.

It could also be simply that companies are like--"Hey, if company B wants to bankrupt themselves and pay you a million a year, or $250K a year, or whatever, then they can do it. One less competitor in 3 years."

It is still very hard for me to grasp how any one player could add one million bucks to one of these company's bottom line profits for a given year. Maybe they do, I just can't see it though.

This really will be an interesting study to see what happens to disc golf after the Covid surge subsides. I'm not sure I've seen any activity explode as this has. Some got the buzz like biking after Lance Armstrong, but not many people could afford to go buy a racing bike.

Another example, whitewater paddling..... Deliverance the movie was '72, I got out of the Navy in April '76 and bought my first canoe. When I first started hitting southeastern rivers I knew almost everyone I'd run into. Check out the put-ins for any good water now on a pretty weekend. [emoji106][emoji41]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This really will be an interesting study to see what happens to disc golf after the Covid surge subsides. I'm not sure I've seen any activity explode as this has. Some got the buzz like biking after Lance Armstrong, but not many people could afford to go buy a racing bike.

Golf when Tiger came on the scene? I'd like to see those participant numbers.

I was a pre-teen then, and all of my friends started golfing and this was in a white, working class neighborhood.

Catrina to DD never made sense to me because there would seem to be an on-camera (YouTube marketing) expectation that, from a distance, does not fit her at all.

I would think she might like not being a manufacturer's FPO focus, instead just getting to focus on winning tournaments..

The Upshot video on sponsorship implied that in the past up until Paul went to DC that most of the deals were just verbal agreements.

Gotta figure, if you're doing more formal contract stuff you're starting to add legal costs. Multi year deals weren't common then either, so probably not worth any additional legal costs given the types of sponsorship dollars involved at the time for a single year deal.

Even if multi year deals were becoming more common, from the manufacturer's perspective it's a value situation. Do you think the likelihood of a player leaving a verbal agreement is worth the money you'd be putting towards the legal component to prevent it from happening? A couple years ago I don't think any of the manufacturers were too worried about it, but the combination of Paul's move to DC and the Covid boom changes things.

Other companies saw how much the move did for DC and now they want a piece of the action. It does look a bit bad to see players jumping ship after it appears they're still under contract, but right now at least I'd question how air tight most of those contracts really are. I would expect that to change going forward though, and you'll start seeing deals going the full length because contracts will be much more thorough and have penalties explicitly written in them.

I saw a comment on Reddit that said Innova is preparing legal action against DD (not Ricky). no source or anything but I think we need more drama this off season so I'm choosing to believe it for now

"Sometimes its hard to say goodbye but we have nothing but positivity, love and support for Hailey king.

Discraft and Hailey King have decided to end our 2 year contract with each other early. This was not a easy decision but we wanted to support Hailey through some changes in her life and both Discraft and Hailey felt it was good for her to experience something new. We want to thank her for an amazing 5 years and wish her luck on this new journey.

We will always be rooting for you Hailey!" - Discraft Disc Golf

what do you mean tampering?

Not sure on what basis Innova could challenge DD. They have/had a "contract" of some sort with Ricky. Unless they have some sort of non-compete between manufacturers, then what is "tampering"?

Some Innova fanboys have been watching too much NFL converge lately. Not aware of any agreement between manufactures that states they are not allow to contact players already under contract.

Some Innova fanboys have been watching too much NFL converge lately. Not aware of any agreement between manufactures that states they are not allow to contact players already under contract.

Which sounds a bit like a Rico violation based on my TV law degree.

Yeah I'm not sure if I buy Innova going after DD. Any agreement would be between Ricky and Innova, unless the contract specifically had something in it saying the new sponsor would be responsible for covering any potential loss incurred by the early termination. It very well could, but for Ricky to not disclose that to DD in the negotiation stages just seems unlikely.

There's not a union and firm dates marking timeframes where sponsors can approach players, so I don't know if you can necessarily accuse DD of tampering. That would imply rules were broken, and as it stands right now the dg scene is pretty much the Wild Wild West.