• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

The Inevitable 2022 Pros Switching Sponsors Thread

This is the most boring sponsor thread in the last 5 years. by far.

Is this exciting enough for you?

10best-bbq-headshot-pecan-lodge-facebook_55_660x440.jpg

Well the lifetime worth millions deal (that was barely celebrated by the sponsor) pretty much killed the speculation part of this thread. My guess, 30k for 50 years rounded up to 2 million.

Didn't she flip her fierce into oblivion a couple times on up shots too? Seemed like I watched a couple where I was thinking why didn't she just throw something OS like a Zone

Didn't she do that on the last hole at Worlds also? Tried to throw a flat shot with the Fierce instead of playing a gentle hyzer with a Zone like Paul did when he had basically the same shot left to get up and down to tie JC.

How long is Missys deal with Discraft? and Eveliinas and Hennas with Innova?

And are we not at a point where many players will have a hard time signing with a top brand. . . the top brands have many players to choose from so why keep players that dont perform?

And, why give pros big money to sell discs.....when they have no discs to sell?

How long is Missys deal with Discraft? and Eveliinas and Hennas with Innova?

And are we not at a point where many players will have a hard time signing with a top brand. . . the top brands have many players to choose from so why keep players that dont perform?

Top players (really most of the people out on tour) will have no issues- their compensation is trending upwards as well. Wouldn't surprise me to see some companies back off on the local/regional pros though.

Will MVP be getting some more top pros?

I don't necessarily think James nailing the "Holy Shot" to win World's will generate an influx of talent. James' refusal to retire that Envy, indicates that he has no confidence in any suitable backup. Not exactly a ringing endorsement. Whereas, if he put that on the mantle and transitioned well into a backup, that would inspire confidence to others that they can easily pickup a money throwing putter from MVP.

No doubt MVP sales have been tremendous, so I don't think at this time it would even be prudent to recruit more spendy free agent tour players. I believe the only way a top touring player is joining, is if MVP is offering the best package. If they are already selling near capacity, I would think they'll hold off on any splash acquisitions.

I do predict them shifting some of their players up and down on their tier system. I would promote Raven Newsom to their Premier team and demote Dollar & Castro to Pro team for performance/unlikeability.

Top players (really most of the people out on tour) will have no issues- their compensation is trending upwards as well. Wouldn't surprise me to see some companies back off on the local/regional pros though.

This totally makes sense to me. I can see where manufacturers want to put $$$ into players they think will move product. That's going to be the higher profile touring players (which doesn't necessarily mean the very best or winningest players ...although they will certainly be "high profile").

Sure, all the touring pros are great players, and some may not be that much better than quite a few local pros, but it's about visibility and being able to influence buyers. Players with big social media followings and higher profiles simply reach moar people on a regular basis.

That said, if companies start to reduce financial support for local, non-touring pros, the jump from the local circuit to the national scene becomes that much harder to make.

I don't think we'll see any big movement among the top tier names, closest would've been Calvin but he extended through 2023 I believe after some chatter last offseason that Trilogy was chasing him.

Any big moves will be from guys like Anthony Barela, Mason Ford, Joel Freeman, Andrew Marwede, Nathan Queen, Ben Callaway, and maybe a couple others I'm forgetting. Basically anybody who has had some great results this season and looking for a bump in sponsorship.

It looks like on the women's side Missy is year to year? Only saw news discussing her initial move to DC, didn't mention it being multi year. I'm sure DC will want to keep her, but she'd be a huge pickup for anybody. I've always thought Lisa Fajkus finishes fairly consistent and was kinda surprised that she's still on Team Champion.

Especially if we're going to see a shift as a result of the NT being taken over by DGPT.

Or perhaps less activity with local pros and instead lore focus on young up and coming juniors?

Why retire it? He just cashed it in from 250'. It was reliable enough that one time, why not another? Maybe just don't throw it when it could get lost.

Oh I get why he's throwing it. I get separation anxiety just thinking about not being able to throw my go-to discs. I still believe it would be in his and MVP's best interest to retire it. Let's say he can shave a stroke off every tournament by using his old Envy instead of a fresh disc. That may yield him slightly more tourney winnings, but he could potential earn quite a bit more money by increasing the marketability of the plastic he is throwing.

Look at McBeth for instance, he can cycle fresh plastic in and out without missing a beat. This demonstrates that his discs perform as required right off the shelf, which inspires confidence in the consumer. This no doubt boosts sales and keeps consumers buying fresh plastic, padding his pockets.

At this point in disc golf, our touring professionals can make a lot more coin through marketing tactics than from tournament purses. Wysocki, Sexton, Uli, and others have realized that and are now shifting their efforts accordingly.