• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

The Inevitable 2022 Pros Switching Sponsors Thread

Wonder if Cat and her new sponsor is waiting for everybody else to be done so her contract is the only one left to talk about?

Can´t wait for Las Vegas and to see all the players play with "new" discs.

And for the first time in a VERY long time. . ALL of the top 10 rated FPO players in the World are signed up to play in Las Vegas

One notable exception, and I know she is not in the top 10, is Kona Panis.

Took longer to post the link than it probably would take others to google it themselves?

Regardless, point is…until just very very very recently handshake deals is how the entire sport operated. Things are a changing…

For better or worse nobody knows.

Sorry, should have said please post a link.

I agree with your point—as the sport becomes more legitimately professional meaning money, lawyers will get involved and it will become messy.

Sorry, should have said please post a link.

I agree with your point—as the sport becomes more legitimately professional meaning money, lawyers will get involved and it will become messy.

Which surprises me to hear that several of these Pros switching sponsors are walking out on the last year, or more, of their previous deals. :|

Maybe those previous deals were just done by a handshake and not too enforceable?

Which surprises me to hear that several of these Pros switching sponsors are walking out on the last year, or more, of their previous deals. :|

Maybe those previous deals were just done by a handshake and not too enforceable?

Agreed.

And I glossed over the second point which was the impact on amateur events. I can understand someone that lives in Emporia feeling shut out of an event that was created by and for ams being a little chapped.

Can´t wait for Las Vegas and to see all the players play with "new" discs.

And for the first time in a VERY long time. . ALL of the top 10 rated FPO players in the World are signed up to play in Las Vegas

You just know there's going to be some top players out there struggling with new discs.

Very odd that Kona isn't signed up for this.

Big deal signing, big money and not playing the big inaugural event of the year?

Really starting off hot.

You just know there's going to be some top players out there struggling with new discs.

Big deal signing, big money and not playing the big inaugural event of the year?

Really starting off hot.

that is interesting. It's a big arm course, so seems like it would be a good place for her to start.

To provide some back story for the newer faces:

Bowling Green Ams was THE amateur tournament of the year for the longest time. Bowling Green was the am equivalent to USDGC if you were trying to get sponsorship eyes on you, and for everybody else it was a giant party.

Glass Blown Open started to be held the same weekend, Trilogy is born, and Emporia becomes the dg Holy Grail for ams. Smallest field in the last 3 years was just under 1100 players, largest just under 1400. Field is being cut in half for what originated as a big amateur tournament and became a big pro event everybody complains about because of the golf course and 30mph winds.

Maybe it's a bigger deal where I'm at because we're smack in the middle of BG and Emporia, both just a couple hours away. People would take a week off work and make it a big dg vacation.

In order to meet the DGPT guidelines changes had to be made, effectively cutting out the people who built your event from the ground up. Those are the things that will stick out with people and make them never want to come back.

All I'm saying is growing pains are coming.

Growing pains are to be expected. DD's problems still probably pale compared to when the BG TD cancelled the tournament and ran off with everyone's money.

Remember when PP signed with DC. She wasn't going to play GBO that year.
Then Covid. Then they came up with the DDO. And when CBS Sports was going to show footage, PP was playing.
I believe PP was not thrilled about going back to Emporia. But she changed her mind when "mainstream" coverage was brought into the picture.
So maybe Kona doesn't want to play in an Innova event until later in the year (if at all, haven't looked at her PDGA page to see what she is playing)? Maybe there's some bad blood. Just my 2 cents.

Really starting off hot.

Looking at players registered in FPO, Kona would be 11th on list ranked by PDGA rating. With Valerie M included Kona would be ranked 12th. I am curious to see if her social media presence makes up for that somehow, contract wise. I see her posts on Facebook from time to time although it doesn't seem too earth shattering.

Not entirely certain "why" she changed her mind, just remember that she wasn't going to play.
Yeah, I think a couple of others were not going to play, maybe PM, and maybe Missy Gannon?

Really starting off hot.

Colten is playing and they are still touring together. So, this could easily be an unwillingness to play an Innova event. It doesn't look alike any of the events that she is currently signed up for are Innova sponsored.

Latest posts