• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

The Inevitable 2023 Pros Switching Sponsors Thread

Forward progress (backwards) on military uniforms is the logic.

People in the know on that end will easily spot it, but those same people usually take offense for those type of customs being used with the incorrect context.

Dammed if you do, damned if you don't.

Last edited:
Funny side note on the military and/or flag symbology usage...

Has anyone else been called out for displaying the Innova "Air Force" logo? I have always liked that stamp, and I have a shirt with that logo. A friend of a family friend once asked me if I'd served in the Air Force because I was wearing that shirt... [awkward face] nope!

I respect the US Air Force 100%. My brother in law is actually deployed overseas currently with the Air Force doing EOD work. Can't wait to have him back home.

But I never thought the Innova stamp was referencing that branch of the US Military! I just thought Air Force... frisbees flying through the air, man.

Has anyone else been called out for displaying the Innova "Air Force" logo? I have always liked that stamp, and I have a shirt with that logo. A friend of a family friend once asked me if I'd served in the Air Force because I was wearing that shirt... [awkward face] nope!

I have been asked "Are you in the Air Force?" or "Were you in the Air Force?" three different times over the years while wearing one of those shirts.

It's likely a visa issue. Simon is a German citizen. As far as I am aware, his wife and son are not.
Probably a spur of the moment trip they just couldn't get approved for.

Unless he plans on spending months there, visa shouldn't be an issue.

Passports, maybe.

Duuudes, his wife and kid are literally in one of his Germany videos, being filmed by someone not them in a place that doesn't look like their home. He also talked in another video about scheduling a trip to Germany to a) let his family meet his son and b) have a second wedding over there for his family and friends in Europe.

Do you think he just brought a photograph and had a bachelor's party v2 instead? :rolleyes:

Duuudes, his wife and kid are literally in one of his Germany videos, being filmed by someone not them in a place that doesn't look like their home. He also talked in another video about scheduling a trip to Germany to a) let his family meet his son and b) have a second wedding over there for his family and friends in Europe.

Do you think he just brought a photograph and had a bachelor's party v2 instead? :rolleyes:

This thread reminds me of that Uma Thurman / Mia Wallace quote from Pulp Fiction:

"When you scamps get together, you're worse than a sewing circle."

Rando redditor is doubling down on Simon to MVP. Claims to have a reliable source, willing to have account banned from r/discgolf.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221229-202922_Reddit.jpg
    Screenshot_20221229-202922_Reddit.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 168
  • Screenshot_20221229-202955_Reddit.jpg
    Screenshot_20221229-202955_Reddit.jpg
    86.7 KB · Views: 148
  • Screenshot_20221230_072402.jpg
    Screenshot_20221230_072402.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 143
Doesn't this seem like Paul/Ricky all over again? Seems impossible that the person would leave their disc sponsor, but it's such big news that people can't keep their mouths shut, so it leaks.

I respect the US Air Force 100%. My brother in law is actually deployed overseas currently with the Air Force doing EOD work. Can't wait to have him back home.

But I never thought the Innova stamp was referencing that branch of the US Military! I just thought Air Force... frisbees flying through the air, man.

It's probably people who don't know what the U.S. Air Force insignia looks like and just see the words. It doesn't look anything like the Innova Air Force emblem. And there are lots of clothing items out there you can buy with U.S. Military insignia to support the military. Doesn't mean you served, but it could be a family member or friend served or is serving and you are supporting them. I'm retired from the U.S. Air Force and don't see any issues with the Innova Air Force symbol/stamp; nor do I have an issue with non-military folks wearing t-shirts, hats, etc with military insignia on it in support of our troops...as long as they don't claim to be in the military. There is a huge difference in wearing clothing with U.S. military insignia and wearing a military uniform.

I live 5 minutes from an Air Force base and am mindful of when I wear mine. Haven't been asked by anybody but I've definitely noticed people looking at it.

For what it's worth mine is a really old one that's navy blue with the gray section up along the shoulders, so the color scheme matches up.

Add to that Simon's trip to Germany....was it to discuss his decision with his family so they aren't taken by surprise? Or to get their input?

I think if Simon leaves DM, it will be a financial decision. He does have a new family and needs to support them. He travels a lot and while he makes money from his YT videos...that and his DM sponsorship may not be enough to actually support his family as well as he would like to be able to do.

I hate to assume anything but he has driven an Audi R8 in some of his videos so he's probably doing just fine financially. But you're right in that he deserves to pursue a more lucrative situation if given the opportunity

I bach'ed it for a week this fall while the mrs took the kids to visit her sister and BIL. It was great. I did miss them by the end of it but it was a good break. I'm a firm believer in the philosophy that if you can't be happy apart from each other for a bit, you're going to have issues.

What if you can't be happy when you're near each other :p

I hate to assume anything but he has driven an Audi R8 in some of his videos so he's probably doing just fine financially. But you're right in that he deserves to pursue a more lucrative situation if given the opportunity

I believe his actual vehicle is an Audi S5 ($55k) and not a R8 ($158k) or A8/S8 ($87k/$120k). 'Affordable' for someone making $150k+ a year I think.

Simon is signed up for this NZ Discmania sponsored B-Tier in Feb. '23 with Avery Jenkins and Nate Perkins - https://www.pdga.com/tour/event/63057

I'm not sure what model his car is, but I do seem to recall he bought it before he got married and had a kid....

Anyways....it's all conjecture.

OK, I can't resist joining this discussion/speculation any longer....

Simon mentioned during an interview this year that DM's performance bonus structure is heavily weighted toward winning, with very little payout for other places.

When you combine this with disc sales, he probably did about as well in 2022 as he ever has with DM. And odds are against repeating.

So from a financial standpoint, a move probably looks more attractive.

Plus, a new family and new house? Look for income that isn't as dependent on winning multiple events.

OK, I can't resist joining this discussion/speculation any longer....

Simon mentioned during an interview this year that DM's performance bonus structure is heavily weighted toward winning, with very little payout for other places.

When you combine this with disc sales, he probably did about as well in 2022 as he ever has with DM. And odds are against repeating.

So from a financial standpoint, a move probably looks more attractive.

Plus, a new family and new house? Look for income that isn't as dependent on winning multiple events.

MVP is a good fit in that regard. They hired Conrad and told him they didn't care if he won. Conrad lived up to his end. Simon could too!!

Latest posts