• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

The Inevitable 2023 Pros Switching Sponsors Thread

That's why the Berg is the best, it didn't need a pro to become a cult.

cult is a good definition. "a misplaced or excessive admiration for a particular person or thing."

the thought of a disc that's made specifically to not fly well (berg, stego, etc) is like nails on a chalkboard to me.

cult is a good definition. "a misplaced or excessive admiration for a particular person or thing."

the thought of a disc that's made specifically to not fly well (berg, stego, etc) is like nails on a chalkboard to me.

Berg flies exceedingly well depending on how you throw it. It's getting most of my approach shots inside 200' these days.

Are there numbers that back this up? I feel like I'd be surprised if they had any drop in sales, considering the sport's general explosion in numbers. Obviously they're not the titan they once were relative to the other manufacturers in the game, but isn't their customer base still growing?

I don't think he was saying Innova's sales took a big hit. He was talking specifically about sales falling off for the Nova overmold disc. I don't know if that's true or not, but I don't see many of them on the course any more.

I don't think he was saying Innova's sales took a big hit. He was talking specifically about sales falling off for the Nova overmold disc. I don't know if that's true or not, but I don't see many of them on the course any more.
Oh ****. Yeah I completely misread that.

What does Powergrips team mean. .?

POWERGRIP ADDS LIZOTTE, SEXTON, KOLING, BLOMROOS, SALONEN, AND MORE

As we inch closer to the start of the 2023 professional disc golf season, we are excited to announce five outstanding additions to Team Powergrip for the upcoming year.

At Powergrip, we call ourselves a "Pretty Good Disc Golf Shop" and after many discussions, we believe we've compiled a "Pretty Good Disc Golf Team". — In fact, you could say this is the nicest group of disc golfers you can find around the world.

https://powergrip.fi/blog

What does Powergrips team mean. .?

POWERGRIP ADDS LIZOTTE, SEXTON, KOLING, BLOMROOS, SALONEN, AND MORE

As we inch closer to the start of the 2023 professional disc golf season, we are excited to announce five outstanding additions to Team Powergrip for the upcoming year.

At Powergrip, we call ourselves a "Pretty Good Disc Golf Shop" and after many discussions, we believe we've compiled a "Pretty Good Disc Golf Team". — In fact, you could say this is the nicest group of disc golfers you can find around the world.

https://powergrip.fi/blog

Are you asking or explaining? Just in case you are asking....those disc golfers support the PowerGrips store (https://powergripusa.com/). They will probably have the logo on their shirts somewhere. It's kind of like Drew Gibson and Infinite....yes, Infinite makes discs, but they also sell discs and other related items. Drew, as part of his sponsorship, can't say "buy this disc from store X, he has to say to buy the disc from Infinite.com. Or buy this shirt from Infinite.com." Same with the PowerGrip team, they will be 'guiding' you to buy all things disc golf from PowerGrip.

Disc golfers having a 'side' sponsorship from an online disc golf store seems to be happening more and more often.

Wonder if any disc in history has had a worse sale drop than the NOVA?

I like charts, so here's our Nova sales since 2016. Sales of them got cut in half when McBeth left. We sold a whole 9 of them last year.

I would have to dig deeper than I want to to find stuff that fell more. Dynamic as a whole looks like the Nova chart so I'm sure there's some DD molds that could compete with the Nova chart.

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    15.2 KB · Views: 118
Gannon Buhr just posted a reel that he is leaving Prodigy. While he didn't announce it, I can't imagine him going anywhere but Discmania.

So is he switching sponsors this season? It seems really late... but then again with his talent, he'll be fine no matter who he ends up with... and he will have the ability to throw as much as he needs and recover fast because of his age and health.

Wow, that is a surprise considering his dedication to Shusterick as a mentor. Although, Prodigy didn't seem a like a brand that would really push his social media or give him his own line of discs. Gannon def puts in the work to be successful and seems to have fun doing it. He'll be a great get for any manufacturer.

When Ricky left Prodigy to Latitude the first time, he didnt announce until the Aussie Open. McBeth went and posted something on his socials about "I can confirm that no Prodigy player is here".

So as long as its before the first tournament of the year, I think guys will continue to push announcements.

Also some dont want to be in the flurry of announcements that are in the first of the year.

Yeah I think the delay on this is the domino effect of Simon going to MVP.

DM obviously received some cash for Simon breaking his contract, on top of freeing up what they were expecting to pay Simon this year. Gannon was the easy choice for a couple of reasons.

Probably took a while to get the negotiations settled. I'd fully expect DM to have a release of some type ready for the announcement also…gotta capitalize on the news. Just one of those no need to rush it, take your time and do it right situations.

Thinking out loud here - Seppo Paju retires from touring to focus on Prodigy Europe, and I understand sales are pretty strong there. Discmania opens a big facility in Colorado, moves production around, and released entirely new lines of products after the Innova divorce. They don't seem to be selling as much and just lost their biggest name, and Gannon is still an unknown as far as a "name" to sell plastic. Blowing that $1mil on him doesn't seem to make as much $$ sense without some way for DM to recoup that if he doesn't meet such and such performance/sales expectations.

I have no insider info but going to Lone Star if they have the money offer, or to Innova to play the long game seem possible.

Yeah I think the delay on this is the domino effect of Simon going to MVP.

DM obviously received some cash for Simon breaking his contract, on top of freeing up what they were expecting to pay Simon this year. Gannon was the easy choice for a couple of reasons.

Probably took a while to get the negotiations settled. I'd fully expect DM to have a release of some type ready for the announcement also…gotta capitalize on the news. Just one of those no need to rush it, take your time and do it right situations.

Can't wait for the hastily sourced bottom stamp version of whatever mold they have a lot of in storage.