• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

The Insider Show - USDGC 2015

Did Jamie even know he DNF'd? How do you not mention that after the interview?

I worked with DG Planet last year at USDGC and although they had some hiccups with the live stream the camera work was on point. Crazy John is not good and neither is David Greenwell. One is, well Crazy, and the other is super negative. With that being said both are better on camera than Jaime. He is great when he can sit behind the scenes and do day after shows but he needs a lot of work in front of the camera. Terry, as has been stated, is far more natural as the "talent". I am curious to see how the live stuff turns out. Smashboxx has done ok, but they had the same issues DG Planet had with signal interference. When you have 100's of cell phones on a course and wireless cameras, things tend to get wonky.

Yea, this insider show is definately a let down, I keep watching it in hopes that it will be news and coverage about what happened that day and it just keeps being 90% filler material. This would be a good show to watch if it wasnt geared towards the round coverage at the USDGC. Just give us round highlights, stats, and the after round interviews. We dont need anything else.

I get it, I do. I understand their vision and where they want to go...all of it.

But that doesn't mean I have to like it.

There is a good chance the segment was taped prior to the event or Wednesday.

I know, that's why I said AFTER the interview which was all shot yesterday after he'd already pulled out.

I get it, I do. I understand their vision and where they want to go...all of it.

But what good is all of this insider coverage without actual tournament footage? I feel like all this time and effort would be much better served on a 10-minute recap show of the top couple of cards. Make a storyline out of it, much like a postgame wrap on a sports program, complete with highlights and post-round interviews. Then, if that doesn't take the whole time, maybe give a preview of the key holes for tomorrow's rounds.

I think something like this - something we already see in the sports world - would make things come off more professionally. I know it probably isn't as sexy, but we don't need sexy in disc golf coverage. We need disc golf in disc golf coverage.

Yeah i actually dont get the vision at all. Seems blindly done really. The feeback was there to improve well b4 work started on this usdgc series from EOs.

I am a fan of the Insider show. The only thing I would like to see added is a quick rundown of the leaderboard.

Note: I am coming from the view that this is aimed to be more of a radio show with video enhancements (ie. ESPN radio shows).
The actual footage comes in the full round videos.

I agree with the masses on this one. Everything about this production is poorly thought out. It made me angry watching it. Aside from the stat graphics (which were decent visually but ruined due to the presentation) everything else in these 20-30 minute pieces; the music, the awkward interviews, etc. leaves a lot to be desired.

It's bad enough the players are throwing over parking lots and around baseball fields in a "Major", ya know? We already look bad….come on, throw us a fricken bone here.

I agree with the masses on this one. Everything about this production is poorly thought out. It made me angry watching it. Aside from the stat graphics (which were decent visually but ruined due to the presentation) everything else in these 20-30 minute pieces; the music, the awkward interviews, etc. leaves a lot to be desired.

It's bad enough the players are throwing over parking lots and around baseball fields in a "Major", ya know? We already look bad….come on, throw us a fricken bone here.

I agree for the most part, the concept for the Insider Show is decent, but it has some improvement to be made. I like the stats portion, and there's some pretty good footage in the sights and sounds segment. I don't want to criticize too harshly about anything because whether I like it or not, I know the guys are working hard to produce content. That being said, I think Jamie is better off camera. His commentary on the stats is fine, and I imagine some commentary on actual golf footage would be good too, but in front of the lens he seems unnatural and stilted. Its nothing to be ashamed of, everyone has different strengths. Anyone ever see Climo on the disc golf fundamentals DVD? Legendary disc golfer he may be, TV personality he certainly is not. And like others have said, I feel the interview portion is largely gratuitous, especially if these shows are supposed to be for those not in "the spot."

And yes, as to Winthrop being the site of the most prestigious event in our sport, I've always had issues with that. Parking lots and baseball fields are bad enough, but when the top player in the world has to deal with a neighbor's dog barking during his drive we're undeniably still a small potatoes sport.

I always find teeing on hole 2 funny with that dog. Normally, someone gives that dog a treat to silence em during the drives. Still...right before that first rd. coverage McB on hole survived the duck razz.

I watched it today and I had to stop about halfway through the interviews. The professionalism is just horrendous. The main commentator sounds like he was reading from a Dr. Seuss book, the interviews were beyond awkward due to the questions asked, the show was clearly tailored towards Innova and Discmania and could have cared less about actual coverage, and the music was way to "PUMP YOU UP". To top it all off they only showed a handful of actual throws from the day, I want round coverage!

We, as sport, really need to look to the PGA coverage and figure out what we are trying to do with disc golf coverage. They have multiple cameras capturing multiple different shots and they are able to 'bounce' from card to card showing good or bad shots. We won't have as many cameras as ball golf does but it can't be that hard to have 2-3 cameras out there showing CONSTANT action. I would be nice for the PDGA to take some membership fees and put it towards hiring a professional camera crew to showcase larger tournaments. Hire Marty, Jomez, Disc Golf Monthly (Jimi and Cubby as commentators) and maybe a couple other guys to work in collaboration and I bet that we could have top notch coverage.