• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] The latest runs of Innovas blizzard discs. Huge problems?

tarel

Double Eagle Member
I don't know what migrant worker they have at the factory right now but I felt about 40+ discs today that were blizzard and each of them the bubbles on the rim were exposed like Loraine swiss cheese or you could press into the rim and have it concave deep, and was terrible, worse than any x-out I have ever seen. What is wrong with these discs? I can't be the only one that is seeing these pop up. I know the first couple batches of blizzard discs were extremely different these are plain poor manufacturing to meet demand its not like there was any quality assurance being done just press and out the door.

I am not some anti Innova fanboi or anything of the sort but these latest runs are freaking garbage and should of been melted/scraped or sent to the f2 store.

You should not be able to press into the rim and have it concave like a sponge. This was for all molds I saw today not just 1 pressing.

Terrible

:thmbdown: :thmbdown: :thmbdown: :thmbdown: :thmbdown:

Ummm...that's most blizzard discs...they feel flimsy because they're so damn light. Blizzard discs have pretty much been that way from the start...not just recently. I personally keep both a katana and a wraith in my bag and they're both really bubbly in the rim.

As long as they fly well I really don't care if I can easily pop the top in. It comes right back to shape.

I don't think Tarel is talking about the top being poppy

he's talking about the rim...which should be firm...being mushy
I believe

I've noticed a difference. The first one I got was from the first runs and a boss at 138 grams. Bubbles in the rim were not "popped" and the flight plate had bubbling but still somewhat firm. Also a 150 Destroyer that was equally good. Later on I tried a Katana and Teedevil both of the quality you speak of. They are erratic at best in flight nothing like the first two were.

What do you expect? Its a stupid idea. Instead of finding better materials than can be molded and turn out lighter, they went with some silly gimmick.

I don't think Tarel is talking about the top being poppy

he's talking about the rim...which should be firm...being mushy
I believe

This felt like a dry sponge, i was able to press into it and it went in where it should not holes were present in many spots on the rim. not the air bubbles which you can feel Im talking about what you would feel by litterly pushing into a sponge.

This felt like a dry sponge, i was able to press into it and it went in where it should not holes were present in many spots on the rim. not the air bubbles which you can feel Im talking about what you would feel by litterly pushing into a sponge.

I have felt these as well. You can push your fingernail into them and leave a nice indention. It sucks that the technology is not consistent.

Innova must not have any sort of quality control at all.

We just got 25 custom Blizzard Katanas for our club and many had exposed bubbles on the outside edge, very rough and spongy. There was also at least one smudged stamp with a big fingerprint on it.

I would never buy one (for a couple reasons), but other people just don't seem to care and they are selling fast. They're just crazy for that "lizard" plastic with the bubbles.

I got a 140g boss in the mail today, all the bubbles where in the rim unlike my last one which had bubbles in the middle flight plate. It doesn't really bother me at all, it flies great and absolutely bombs. I threw one today and didn't hit it just right, it was a little too high and it still went as far or farther then any disc in my bag and I have to nail those just right to get the D. I can't wait to hook up a good drive with it. Still a great, predictable and super long bomber.

So stop throwing Blizzard discs. Or send Innova an email if you're that concerned... /thread

It's Innova, the Wal-Mart of disc golf. They can afford to create mass produced crap because people buy it... And if people don't buy the crap, they buy enough other stuff that they can afford to cover their losses.

Holy cow, I thought the new runs were completely awesome, but I only throw two molds...

I had a early run max weight(157) katana in hot pink that ripped. Domey, but it rips. So I ordered three newer max katanas in hot pink... Guess what? They are flatter than schnock hock! Now I have three gorgeous flat blizzard katanas that make me want to have sex with stuff all over the place. They fight so hard when they slow down. You can just blast them and they always come back. No bubbles at all in any of the flight plates. I couldn't really tell they were blizzard except for the weight and stamp. Perfect hot pink too! Easy to find in the gnarly devils club of Kincaid and snow when it isn't june, july, or august..

I'm finding when I go get discs that some of the blizzard models have different flight plates in the same model and weight. When I was picking out my Krait, I found one that was shaped like a Katana (real tall in the middle). It looked like a bubble was trying to pop out through the flight plate. Don't know if that's normal or not. The one I got flies real nice, though. Guess I got a good one. :thmbup:

We got some blizzard stuff in our shop due to demand and these things are horrible. There are cracks in the wing, popped bubbles all over, just all around poor quality. I honestly cant believe people buy some of this stuff.

I think it's funny that people refer to these discs as blizzard technology, whereas it's just a bunch of damn air bubbles in a disc. Of course there are bad runs. I'm sure that Innova is trying to increase production to meet demand, and in the process their QC has gone out the window. Blizzard technology? Bah!

I've run and processed nitrogen filled parts and if you guys think its gimmicky or that its just air bubbles your nuts.
Sure when it runs smooth its great but when it doesn't (which is often) its definitely one of the biggest pain in the ass processes to deal with. You try keeping thousands of gas bubbles from escaping through the surface :\
From the second the gas enters the plastic all it tries to do is escape, its like an air bubble under water it doesn't just hang out and wait for the part to cool it seeks out the surface. So you run the mold cooler to try and freeze off the gate and entire surface of the part, only now you have problems with short shots and sinks because the plastic cools too fast. It can be a never ending circle of problems with every fix causing a new problem.

So yeah it is actually pretty impressive that they can pull it off.
But that doesn't excuse the piss poor quality control, ever. As someone stated earlier, this is about getting parts out the door. If you want better quality its kind of on you to not accept the junk they're sending you. Injection molding is no different than any other business, customer demand always trumps quality. If every shop in the country is ordering hundreds of these a week innova is going to let a lot of junk slide to meet your demand. If every shop in the country refuses to accept the defective parts then they'll only ship good discs, and you'll be waiting..

Damned if they do, Damned if they don't

Latest posts