• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

The lost art of course reviewing

I lost two yellow discs last Saturday, within three holes of each other.

Deep, deep leaves all across the fairways in Baltimore. No significant rain or wind, so they were like an ankle-deep carpet in many of the places I threw my discs.

The worst part is that you'd think I would have learned my lesson after losing the first one....

I could hear the blue, pink and purple discs in the bag all laughing at me.

...took me what seemed like 20 minutes searching for a BLUE disc I teed off with buried in a thick covering of leaves on the fairway the other day. I currently bag some orange and green discs too (please don't laugh). It's that time of year and I know whether it is purple, hot pink, or blue- I am going to have a rough go at times searching for my lie.

...took me what seemed like 20 minutes searching for a BLUE disc I teed off with buried in a thick covering of leaves on the fairway the other day. I currently bag some orange and green discs too (please don't laugh). It's that time of year and I know whether it is purple, hot pink, or blue- I am going to have a rough go at times searching for my lie.

Pennsylvania here, ymmv.

I find Hot Pink is good all year around and my whole bag is filled with it after I figured out I really, really, really hate spending time searching discs. Bright almost-construction green is surprisingly good all year around exept in high summer when the sun is at a lower angle to really shine through grass or leaves. Out of the three primary colors, our eye perceives greens the best (probably to do with evolution in the savanna?)

I almost never bag purple or blue. I find them to be the dimmest to our eye receptors.

Construction orange is normally good but really bad in autumn/leaves. Same goes for red.

What really helps is if the disc in question glows with a UV light (365 or 395nm). What happens is the sun also emits some UV bandwidth as well and the UV discs reflect it into visible light, effectively doubling the normal visible brightness of a disc - even in barely lit forest outside. You can have the same discs, same model, and in the cheap plastic and yet it can be a coin toss if it glows. Store lights often don't help to differentiate as they contain no UV, but it's easier to tell out in the sunlight. Or take a UV flashlight and put the disc(s) in a bucket/igloo/dark and test.

Photographed are three piles of discs under UV, a mix of colors (all have some orange disc in them) and different results. Right is brightest, left side is mid-tier. Mid/Darker blues, red, or purple discs almost never light up, strangely enough yellow or white discs neither -- but that's due to the plastic formulation typically used rather than colors themselves. Some greens, pinks, orange, and baby blues do.

Attachments

• IMG_5312.jpg
    IMG_5312.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 28
Last edited:
I had to say good-bye to one of my favorite beat in yet still somehow OS Champion Roc3's due to losing it in the leaves about 2 weeks ago.

Literally watched where it landed on an uphill shot too and still couldn't find it after like 25 minutes of angrily searching. Fall disc golf can be pretty unforgiving sometimes.

Pennsylvania here, ymmv.

I find Hot Pink is good all year around and my whole bag is filled with it after I figured out I really, really, really hate spending time searching discs. Bright almost-construction green is surprisingly good all year around exept in high summer when the sun is at a lower angle to really shine through grass or leaves. Out of the three primary colors, our eye perceives greens the best (probably to do with evolution in the savanna?)

I almost never bag purple or blue. I find them to be the dimmest to our eye receptors.

Construction orange is normally good but really bad in autumn/leaves. Same goes for red.

What really helps is if the disc in question glows with a UV light (365 or 395nm). What happens is the sun also emits some UV bandwidth as well and the UV discs reflect it into visible light, effectively doubling the normal visible brightness of a disc - even in barely lit forest outside. You can have the same discs, same model, and in the cheap plastic and yet it can be a coin toss if it glows. Store lights often don't help to differentiate as they contain no UV, but it's easier to tell out in the sunlight. Or take a UV flashlight and put the disc(s) in a bucket/igloo/dark and test.

Photographed are three piles of discs under UV, a mix of colors (all have some orange disc in them) and different results. Right is brightest, left side is mid-tier. Mid/Darker blues, red, or purple discs almost never light up, strangely enough yellow or white discs neither -- but that's due to the plastic formulation typically used rather than colors themselves. Some greens, pinks, orange, and baby blues do.
Fluorescence is key

I've lost a hot pink disc in leaves before, might be the most infuriating way to lose a disc??

Unrelated, I love how the brightest, most neon Champ plastic discs that seem to glow during the day are nearly invisible at night/dusk. It seemed counterintuitive to me but I learned real quick.

Got my first thumbs down on a review of a small, not-so-great 9er at a high school.

Not quite sure why but I guess it's bound to happen eventually. I'll still keep on truckin' and reviewin' though.

At one time I use to get upset about thumb down votes. Now I don't even care. I write a review I felt like writing at the time. Sometimes I ramble on a bit.

I have been so busy these days I have not written very many reviews unless I really feel like I need to trash a course. Those are actually my favorite reviews to write. I know I am going to get thumb down votes and I don't care.

FYI, I had a review removed on UDisc of a course I trashed. I did appeal to UDisc and they put it back up.

Reaeched Bronze status today after submitting my tenth review.

Probably going to stick to reviewing courses that haven't been reviewed or have a couple of reviews.

There's a few courses I've played where the last 4+ reviews were bad homer ones that have screwed up the actual rating so might need to balance a few out so people don't show up disappointed or leave feeling shortchanged.

Walking all the holes should be sufficient, no need to play. Just imo.
That's actually a brilliant point. Walking all the holes may afford the least subjective way of judging a course. I like it !

I've lost a hot pink disc in leaves before, might be the most infuriating way to lose a disc??

Leaves are the worst. I once lost a disc on a home course I play often. I seen where it landed and it had no brush or obstruction that close to it, maybe 5 feet away, it was just grassy-level growth and short. Spend a good time looking for it. It just disappeared like David Blaine in a wide open course with just a few hints of connected forest for a bit of shot shaping.

Everytime I played that hole, I kinda looked. Two years passed and in spring I was standing near the spot it landed and there was a weird sway where I just stepped. Dug a bit. Darned thing somehow landed at a shallow angle and just slid under the loose roots of the local growth just under the ground! :doh: I never had that happen before or since, hopefully it's just a fluke occurence and not a common thing in semi-swampy ground.

I keep hoping sound beacons get cheap. That company's been out of stock forever and it really looks like nothing more than a dollar store item, pricing it more than a low-end disc ain't gonna cut it. Hope someone makes 'em $4 ea and sell them in packs of 5 for $20.

I'll bump my own thread, mostly because I don't know where to put this.

I'm just curious who actually gets the courses put on the map now. I've uploaded 6 or 7 in the last few days. I'm still not seeing them on the browse map. I get that it isn't going to be done instantly, especially for the crap 9's I'm adding :D

I believe that it was Tim, and Tim only, doing that previously. I could be wrong on that. But with no Tim, then who's doing this now? I'll add a couple more tonight and probably wait and see if they show up before adding anymore.

did you include lat/long on the course info page? if not, the course will not show up on the map

did you include lat/long on the course info page? if not, the course will not show up on the map

When did this become a thing? I've never done that before. I've never had a problem until recently when adding courses. Appreciate the Intel

he was

he also put a significant amount of time into the "directions" portion too despite 99% of people using gps now a days

Interesting. I'll have to go back and add those. I've never done that before. It won't let you add a course without directions though.

I usually use gps like everybody else, but there have been a few times where the directions came in handy.

This all day. I have occasionally been absolutely screwed by GPS.

***For me, directions to the first tee, from the entrance of the park, is one of the most valuable pieces of information in a review***

he was

he also put a significant amount of time into the "directions" portion too despite 99% of people using gps now a days

The "directions" part is the scorn of me when adding new courses.

I absolutely suck at typing out the directions even with Google Map basically telling me what to type lol. Shoutouts to timg for picking up the slack :thmbup:

Latest posts