• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Discraft] The MANTIS 8>

Emoney

* Ace Member *
I didn't really see a obvious dedicated thread for the Mantis. So decided to make one for when\if it returns (since it has been MIA for over a year).

Thoughts and opinions are welcome.

I finally bit the bullet and overpaid for 2 first run Z Mantis on ebay...just so I can have this amazing fairway back in my bag.

Hopefully Discraft makes these again soon in Big Z and Z...as well as some special runs (please Swirly Z or Glo Z).

Ulibarri has now made the community very aware of this sleeper fairway. We have all seen him lacing his green Big Z all over the place.

Cmon Discraft....let's get these in peoples hands!

Flight numbers 8/4/-2/2

The mantis is one of my favorite molds, I much prefer it to the undertaker. I'm getting afraid to throw mine when they are no where to be found right now.

As with all Discraft, there are plans for a special Ledgestone edition. For the mighty Mantis, I understand it will be one of the actual player's pack discs. Not sure what plastic or whatever.

I really hope that once Ledgestone is over Discraft will get back to making normal, stock discs.

lulz i have a green big z i found almost a handful of years back that i never have thrown

does that mean its going for $100 shipped like the black paul macbeth zones

I still have a Bowling Green Ams Glow Mantis in storage. I'll probably never throw it again though because finding them has been an absolute joke for too long. I moved on to other molds.

If anyone wants a mantis and doesn't want to overpay for it, check out the DD Maverick.

I have a couple of Gateway Spears as my Mantis backups (I bag a beat in Big Z). The Platinum is domier and a little more HSS while the HD I have is flatter and flippier.

So they released some Uli stamped Swirly Z Mantis and some Les White Swirly Z Mantis for Wave 4 of ledgestone...(still some Les White left as of this post).

I snagged 3 heavy Les Whites...

Boy do I hope they mold up like the First Run Z I have. Finally decided to take one of my minty FR Mantis out for a test drive after not bagging one for years and coming off a back surgery....

WOW.... I really can't explain how good this disc is.... I couldn't throw a bad shot with it and the glide is unreal. It is so workable for an 8 speed with a reliable late fade.

Iam never one to hype discs...there are usually plenty of molds now that can replicate any shot you want BUT for some reason the Mantis is perfect for my throw... I was dumb to get rid of the ones I had years ago to try and build a weird bag...won't make that mistake again...

Few discs have blown my mind over the years. The Buzzz was first...Wizard second...Mantis 3rd...Sol 4th...these molds won't be leaving my bag again.

Hopefully anyone here that tried to get a Mantis got one.

All is right with the world...well...disc golf world ;)

Will have to see how these stock Mantis mold up

Finally got my LS Z Swirl Mantis in the mail. Going to be trying these out against my FR Z.

Plastic feels stiffer(which I like). Little less dome than my FR Z. Got to see how they fly!

Attachments

• 20210816_135027.jpg
    20210816_135027.jpg
    79 KB · Views: 54
Discraft has some z line mantis' on their site currently.

Also have to show this again... ppl paying over $30 on ebay for stock Z Mantis...

They are available for $16.99 on the Discraft site.

Also have to show this again... ppl paying over $30 on ebay for stock Z Mantis...

They are available for $16.99 on the Discraft site.

Only down side is that it does take about two weeks for discraft to ship out. But I know most people have been waiting for over a year what's another two weeks?

Finally got my LS Z Swirl Mantis in the mail. Going to be trying these out against my FR Z.

Plastic feels stiffer(which I like). Little less dome than my FR Z. Got to see how they fly!

These look really nice. Makes me wish I had ordered a few, but I got some Melton Mavericks instead since they were actually available in store locally.

I got a couple of the Uli Z swirl mantis recently, I haven't thrown it much yet but the few times I have so far I've been a bit surprised by the stability of them. I was expecting a flight something like a tick faster FD, but these are more of a dead straight with reliable finish disc, more like a beat in FD2 or a fresh dx teebird (where it has glide, but you can still count on that hyzer finish)

I went from having no disc in that slot in my bag to now having the AB Teebird 3 and the uli mantis fighting for that same slot.

So after throwing my Z Swirl Mantis against my FR Z...the Z swirl is def beefier. It's more Lazer straight with a good amount of fade...

My FR Z is very glidey and has -1 turn pretty easy.

These 2 will compliment each other...I also have a domier Z swirl I will have to throw. The one I'm throwing now is pretty flat...

Curious how the new stock Z are flying. May have to order a few for ****z and gigs

The stock Z Mantis are great. It will be a glidey neutral fairway for most arms. Give it power and you get a nice slow turn with a healthy fade at the end.

This is a true fairway disc. You can work so many different angles and lines.

Fresh Z flight# imo is

8/5/-1/2

Last edited:
All is so right with the world!!!

Discraft just released a limited run of Big Z Mantis on their site!

This is what they had to say:

"Due to a overwhelming amount of request for the Big Z Mantis we have decided to run a limited amount for throwers to stock up on! If the demand continues we will consider bringing this back as a stock item. This run features a mini Big Z Mantis stamp in the top right corner"

So we got the stock Z release, Swirly Z, and now Big Z... if you haven't tried a Mantis, now is your chance.

Picked up the new run of big z today. I have a stock z in my bag currently that is my stable fairway. Hopefully this run of big z is slightly less stable than the stock z's.

Picked up the new run of big z today. I have a stock z in my bag currently that is my stable fairway. Hopefully this run of big z is slightly less stable than the stock z's.

If not, they should beat in quicker either way... I got 3 ordered.

I hope more ppl start throwing the Mantis...what a great disc for the majority of players arm speed. The Mantis did fill a gap in Discrafts lineup until Paige released the Passion. These 2 molds may overlap in ppls bags. So I think the Mantis may not get the popularity it deserves.... oh well....

Thank you Paul Ulibarri for bringing the Mantis back from the dead.

Last edited:

Latest posts