• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Discraft] The MANTIS 8>

Yeah I bag both the passion and mantis currently. The passion is less stable than my mantis and will turn and have a mellow fade back when thrown flat.

I have a lot of different Mantis in different plastics. But they have been largely replaced with the DGA Pipeline, which feels great in the hand and is pretty reliable. Feels better than the Passion also. Even so, I am still a fan of the Mantis!

To me the dga undertow is more comparable to the mantis, both have a nice turn and huge glide.

To me, the Mantis has a workable understability that my Pipeline never had.
The Mantis seems to hold a line better when thrown hard. Has a slower turn to it imo.

Excited to see how these Big Z fly. I will have to do a FR Z/Swirly Z/Stock Z/Big Z comparison..

After throwing the flat Swirly Z I have, it's my least favorite so far....overlaps my Volt. Idk if it's because it's flat? But it doesn't have that slow-rolling turn my Z's have.

Is the Mantis going OOP?

Nah. Discraft has z in stock on their site. I'm assuming they probably have a full production run of ESP soon. Discraft said big z will be in limited runs as of now. Possibly be in full production if the demand is there

I doubt they will do an ESP production run, I don't think the ESP plastic and the Mantis mold work well together, I have 3 of the Ledgestone ESP runs from last year and they are 3 very different discs.

So I have thrown the Big Z Mantis quite a few times. Plastic is on the stiffer side and out the box flies with a -1 turn(for me). Still great glide though.
I love that these start out a little more stable. They should beat into workhorse fairways.

Only thing I wish is that this Big Z plastic was softer. To give me that bit of extra feel.

I love these...have 3...hope to get more

I have 2 ace race Mantis, a Pro X misprint, and a Big Z. I've only thrown the Ace Race ones because they are awesome - 150 class Ti, and stable. My son throws a Big Z, and it has a great flight.

Looking for something slower than undertakers and less stable than eagles to slot in the bag. I've been kicking the tires online between the mantis and XL, but need some answers. Anyone have some experience throwing both? Not sure if the speed of the mantis will stable it up quicker on softer throws. Also wondering if the XL is still in regular production? I've only been able to find it in ledgestone Ti and a few lighter Z. For reference I like to use my US fairway as short as ~225-250, and find my undertakers no matter the wear tend to still flex out at that range/slower arm speed. I also am tired of seasoning and losing light star eagles haha.

Last edited:
Looking for something slower than undertakers and less stable than eagles to slot in the bag. I've been kicking the tires online between the mantis and XL, but need some answers. Anyone have some experience throwing both? Not sure if the speed of the mantis will stable it up quicker on softer throws. Also wondering if the XL is still in regular production? I've only been able to find it in ledgestone Ti and a few lighter Z. For reference I like to use my US fairway as short as ~225-250, and find my undertakers no matter the wear tend to still flex out at that range/slower arm speed. I also am tired of seasoning and losing light star eagles haha.

A Stalker may be what you want if you want to stay with Discraft, they power down better than a Mantis or XL in my opinion. They aren't very understable when new though.

If other brands are an option, a River would be my top recommendation.

I've only thrown one, recent Z Mantis, but it was less stable than Undertakers, but not by a ton (I've thrown and bagged 4-5 Undertakers in the past).

Mantis and Undertakers have the same rim width, and a similar hand feel. So I wouldn't really call an Undertaker "faster".

I'd personally suggest going with something more available than a Mantis. Most folks would bag a Heat or a Stalker to be a less stable compliment to an Undertaker (if they were determined to stay with Discraft).

Plenty of stock Z Mantis to be had at almost any online store.

I'm guessing a light (<170g) Z Mantis would do the trick.

A Stalker may be what you want if you want to stay with Discraft, they power down better than a Mantis or XL in my opinion. They aren't very understable when new though.

If other brands are an option, a River would be my top recommendation.

Not married to discraft at all, just the only brand that local shops carries. Probably will just end up going with a Leo or F7 lol

Apparently not a very popular thread, but I just picked one up and I had some questions...

I've got a slightly pearly greenish Z Mantis marked 175-176 in weight. Brand new.

I thought I might just be struggling with it, since I'm still adjusting to disc golf life with way less power, so I put it in the hands of one of Discraft's pros, and it was flying identical to my ESP Avenger, even for him.

Isn't the Mantis supposed to be understable? Do I have a mutant one, or do I need to throw it at 10,000 trees before it gets flippy (I love Z plastic, but I hate that it almost never breaks in)?

Apparently not a very popular thread, but I just picked one up and I had some questions...

it's nothing against the mold itself, but discraft hasn't made very much stock available for about 3 years now. I know I couldn't find a single Big Z Mantis, across about 15 retailers that I checked for about a year - and I needed them because I lost my most beat in one and only had 1 other. Myself, along with many others, probably moved on from the mold due to lack of availability.

The Mantis isn't really that understable, but it does have some high speed turn. It's more of a 'line shaping' disc.

it's nothing against the mold itself, but discraft hasn't made very much stock available for about 3 years now. I know I couldn't find a single Big Z Mantis, across about 15 retailers that I checked for about a year - and I needed them because I lost my most beat in one and only had 1 other. Myself, along with many others, probably moved on from the mold due to lack of availability.

The Mantis isn't really that understable, but it does have some high speed turn. It's more of a 'line shaping' disc.

What's discraft got for flippy fairway drivers, these days, that isn't a tweener like the Glide or Archer? A Stalker is too stable for what I need right now. Would I be looking at the Sting, at that point? I used to throw an XL for this slot, but I'd really rather not throw out of production plastic...

What's discraft got for flippy fairway drivers, these days, that isn't a tweener like the Glide or Archer? A Stalker is too stable for what I need right now. Would I be looking at the Sting, at that point? I used to throw an XL for this slot, but I'd really rather not throw out of production plastic...

I'd look elsewhere tbh. Discraft is essentially all rare/OOP stuff currently. Sting and Archer, No.
A DGA Pipeline might fit the bill. Never thrown one but may be a fit. Other than that I got nothing.

I throw DD Mavericks (slower), Roadrunner's (faster) and Stags (what you're looking for). The Stag is basically OOP. Roadrunners are decent currently. Maverick's are hit and miss. Sneaky option is a Mint discs Jackalope.

you could look at a DGA Vortex, but there isn't a lot besides the Heat in that 'flippy off the shelf' fairway slot.

I'd look elsewhere tbh. Discraft is essentially all rare/OOP stuff currently. Sting and Archer, No.
A DGA Pipeline might fit the bill. Never thrown one but may be a fit. Other than that I got nothing.

I throw DD Mavericks (slower), Roadrunner's (faster) and Stags (what you're looking for). The Stag is basically OOP. Roadrunners are decent currently. Maverick's are hit and miss. Sneaky option is a Mint discs Jackalope.

I tend to agree with wolf. I love Discraft and throw a lot of it, but that speed 6-7 fairway driver slot is not one of Discraft's strengths. For understable, a Pro Leopard is the bomb diggety, and I also bag a Neutron Relay on occasion when I need something really flippy. I think current runs of the Relay may not fly identically to mine though. Give the MVP and Relay forums a look if interested.

I do really like the Stratus (when available) and have used the Archer and Sting. But they're not really fairways.

Latest posts