• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

The more I play the worser I get

R-Ogre

Double Eagle Member
Any other rec players have this problem? Example: last summer I played at least 2x a week and did lots of putting and field practice. Learned a lot more about how discs fly, got started on throwing putters and mids, all the things you're supposed to do to get better. By the end of summer I was throwing higher scores than I used to when I'd play maybe every other week and not touch a disc in between.
Another example: I played 2 times between Thanksgiving and this weekend. Went out for Friday afternoon and threw a personal best from one set of tees.

I don't have that exact problem, but what affects me and could be hurting you as well may be joint or muscle fatigue.

For me I can play sever rounds per week, but if they are too bunched up or on a demanding course I can begin to aggravate my many old sports injuries and cause lower back or shoulder discomfort that makes me more ginger when preforming some throws. That's why some days I can throw 500+ and others making it over 400 is a struggle.

It's also possible that you have picked up superfluous actions or bad habits while practicing. I have a friend who played a ton in a short period and added this looping action to his reach back that while to probably felt good was costing him 20-30ft on his backhand drives.

If you have the ability to video yourself it could be a good idea to compare shots of when your clicking vs not and see if there is a physical manifestation, or if it's purely a mental issue.

For me it's two things. Muscle fatigue and mental expectations/pressure. For muscle fatigue, I notice a significant jump in distance if I take a few days off. I've got to believe this is affecting my accuracy too.

For the mental side of things: when I'm practicing a TON, I tend to put more pressure on myself to execute that perfect shot that I was working on in practice. If I haven't played in a while, I tend to throw the more comfortable shots and put less pressure on myself. Typically that means better execution and lower scores.

Bottom line: don't overdo it, give yourself some time to recover, and try not to overthink things. When you're keeping score, take the shot you're most comfortable with. Not necessarily the "ideal" or "perfect" shot for the situation.

Any other rec players have this problem? Example: last summer I played at least 2x a week and did lots of putting and field practice. Learned a lot more about how discs fly, got started on throwing putters and mids, all the things you're supposed to do to get better. By the end of summer I was throwing higher scores than I used to when I'd play maybe every other week and not touch a disc in between.
Another example: I played 2 times between Thanksgiving and this weekend. Went out for Friday afternoon and threw a personal best from one set of tees.

I had this problem in ball golf. The more I played, the more pressure I put on myself to be good. I thought things like "you practice way too much to still be this bad" and such. Basically I allowed the space between my two ears to make me worse. Now that I only play maybe 2x per year, I don't care how bad I am...which means I actually can shoot similar scores to what I did when I played every week and hit the driving range regularly.

I haven't had this issue in disc golf though. For whatever reason, I don't apply the same pressure to myself as I did in ball golf. I can go out there and have fun, even on the rare days that I shoot 10 strokes worse than my average. Playing without pressure is a wonderful thing.

I had this problem in ball golf. The more I played, the more pressure I put on myself to be good. I thought things like "you practice way too much to still be this bad" and such. Basically I allowed the space between my two ears to make me worse. Now that I only play maybe 2x per year, I don't care how bad I am...which means I actually can shoot similar scores to what I did when I played every week and hit the driving range regularly.

I haven't had this issue in disc golf though. For whatever reason, I don't apply the same pressure to myself as I did in ball golf. I can go out there and have fun, even on the rare days that I shoot 10 strokes worse than my average. Playing without pressure is a wonderful thing.
Oh don't get me wrong-I don't have to throw well to have a good time. It's just embarrassing to go play with buddies who throw a couple times a summer and lose to them....

I don't have that exact problem, but what affects me and could be hurting you as well may be joint or muscle fatigue.

For me I can play sever rounds per week, but if they are too bunched up or on a demanding course I can begin to aggravate my many old sports injuries and cause lower back or shoulder discomfort that makes me more ginger when preforming some throws. That's why some days I can throw 500+ and others making it over 400 is a struggle.

It's also possible that you have picked up superfluous actions or bad habits while practicing. I have a friend who played a ton in a short period and added this looping action to his reach back that while to probably felt good was costing him 20-30ft on his backhand drives.

If you have the ability to video yourself it could be a good idea to compare shots of when your clicking vs not and see if there is a physical manifestation, or if it's purely a mental issue.
If there's fatigue, it's subtle, because I don't notice being physically tired on the course unless I play back to back rounds (our course has some ridiculous hills).

Certainly I have bad habits-when I started 17 years or so ago me and my buddies all just sort of learned on our own-I'm just not sure how much playing more would change those habits.

Film yourself and take a look at your form. We all get creeping form flaws that go un-noticed. It's surprising how much you can learn/unlearn thanks to video proof.

Oh don't get me wrong-I don't have to throw well to have a good time. It's just embarrassing to go play with buddies who throw a couple times a summer and lose to them....

That sure sounds like you're putting pressure on yourself to perform well...which typically (for me anyway) is a surefire way to make sure I don't perform well.

Up to a certain point, I think you will frequently get worse scores in rounds of disc golf as you get better. At least it was that way for me. The reason: I am a decent athlete, and when I started playing disc golf I was able to quickly adapt to make repeatable, accurate throws. I wasn't throwing far, but I knew where the disc was going. When I started to actually learn how to throw properly, I went through a long period of highly fluctuating scores that were often worse than when I started working on technique.

Not sure if that applies to your situation, but I definitely went through it.

I think that maybe just relaxing is a good start. Just remember why you play this sport. For fun I imagine. So, go have fun. Laugh off the bad throws, make a joke... nail the next shot maybe.

DG is just one of those sports where your thoughts can tank everything. Feel the mojo, feel the land, feel the air... huck that disc like it wants to go farther, accurate, to your intended landing zone. Or, not... have fun. The discs will fly for you one way or another.

Lots of (good) practice helps getting better overall, it doesn't necessarily make you shoot hot rounds.

I think the problem lies more on the mental side, more mental fatique than physical fatique. Most athlets reduce pracitce before tournaments, not only for phyical but also for mental recovery.

However, the results may not be that much connected to the amount of playing. I had phases of good scores and ones of bad scores unrelated to the amount of rounds I played. Sometimes it just works, sometimes it's only worser ... worser than worstest ...! ;-)

In my experience, the better my driving form gets the more dysfunctional my putting becomes. Maybe that has something to do with it?

I've noticed that in many activities over the years (darts, pickleball, ball golf, etc.).

I attribute it to when you start out after a winter layoff you are using your natural aptitude for the activity, then you start to trying to improve yourself and things get worse.

Kinda agree with others that the getting worse is almost needed before getting better if you are going to make the plunge...but it is this last part that is critical.

If you are a rec player at any activity maybe just pick one small thing to improve on, but just go have fun. Being rec, not sure it is possible to improve 15 different mechanics since you won't be practicing them.

I get this. Testament is my rating drop of 15 points from 2018 to 2019. I also deal with this during my casual rounds, with a friend or two or alone (playing against the course and my score).

I've also been trying to assess myself these days. I find that I have a consistency issue (shocker) where I am either putting well or driving well, but they don't seem to coincide.

I really think it's a head game! When you are playing and not caring, you might not be focusing on the minute aspects to a throw or putt. But when you "care," you might overthink one small thing that gets in your head and effects everything else.

Gotta go out and play comfortably and not overthink it. Stay out of your head!

I've noticed that in many activities over the years (darts, pickleball, ball golf, etc.).

I attribute it to when you start out after a winter layoff you are using your natural aptitude for the activity, then you start to trying to improve yourself and things get worse.

Kinda agree with others that the getting worse is almost needed before getting better if you are going to make the plunge...but it is this last part that is critical.

If you are a rec player at any activity maybe just pick one small thing to improve on, but just go have fun. Being rec, not sure it is possible to improve 15 different mechanics since you won't be practicing them.

This is probably the most likely. Instead of throwing the same disc on the same line that I've used on this course the last 10 years I'm discing down to mids a lot, trying some flat understable backhands instead of torque monkey anny forehands, using the other two sets of teepads, etc.

Don't keep score. At least for awhile.

I do that from time to time, and it's weird how it gets me into a more relaxed "Hey let's just chuck some cool shots" way of thinking.

Of course these days, that's all I'm doing anyway. :)

Another viewpoint - familiarity is a problem. It's much too easy to play/practice repeatedly and 'ease off'. For example, you play the same course three times a week. You know which disc you need for each throw and where it will land. Tee off with Driver A backhand and it will land in that area. Throw midrange X forehand and land within Circle 1. Putt for par. You know that combination will work and happen without thinking about it, so that's what happens. However, today you go out and there is a slight wind or it's humid, cold, whatever....now the flight path/distance/grip changes and you end up doing worse than normal. It's because you knew how each throw would go since they have always gone that way.

Then you take a break from the game and come back....now you need to think about each shot and remember what you did in rounds before.

It might even just be your walk/run up....maybe you slack off when you play more frequently....just get to the lie and make your throw....then after you have had a break, you practice your throw/walkup/runup before actually doing it.

It's the same with everything....the more familiar we become with doing something, the easier it is to 'skip' steps - which can lead to a worse end product.

This happened to me a bit, it was because I started running longer putts, trying to throw in from 100+ feet out, and bombing drives.

The other day I shot -4 on my home course, the first time I played I shot +28 (one year ago). I literally played to par all of the holes, ended up with a few birdies, got a nice score. The next day, I shot even. I blew up two holes "going for it" and ended up with the dreaded 40 foot back to back shots that would not go in.

In trying to get a -5, I took a risk and ended up with an even score. I think its normal to fluctuate as you progress. Look at your rounds and be honest with yourself. Try playing the course humble, you will be surprised what playing it safe does for your scores!

When my game starts going south, I slow things down and do what I do best. In my case, that's throw putters and mids.

I have literally taken every disc out of my bag that wasn't a putter or mid and played like that. It takes away the birdie potential on some holes but it pretty much almost guarantees me a par. So, when I have a stretch where I keep shooting over par, I basically play a few rounds of par golf until I'm confident and shooting even or just under par. Once my confidence is back up, I can put the drivers back in the bag and get back on track.

Fatigue is very real in disc golf. Some days I'll be out there throwing hard, and the distance simply won't be there. I actually throw best when I've had at least a week between sessions. Losing 100' on a bad day vs a good day isn't an exaggeration either.

Mental fatigue is a thing too. Some days your brain checks out and you start making stupid mistakes on the course.

If you're noticing a regression after a spate of heavy play it might be time to rest a bit. Take a couple weeks off and let your body and mind recover.

Latest posts