• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

The Most Difficult 1st hole you have ever played

Local to KC metro probably Water Works hole 1 long (par 3, 470' downhill) and Black Hoof hole 1 blue->blue (par 3, 430' downhill wooded) mainly due to difficulty getting to the putting area for birdie off the tee is hard to execute consistently.

Woodhenge hole 1 is tough but a par 4 so managing a birdie isn't unrealistic with a little practice to get the right shots/landing zones. Any kick will take birdie out of play for the most part.

Blue tee for Harmony Bends hole 1 (par 5, 833') is a tough birdie and easy bogie. Hard to execute the tee shot and approach shot to get a 3rd shot that can land on the green for a putt.

Camp Jordan Hole 1 was challenging tee shot with no warm up to start a casual round. A ~180' tunnel shot over a mud pit to get into the open and then a open 280' second shot for a par 4 according to the tee sign. Wasn't too different than the 2nd picture in mid November the only time I played in terms of the rough & foliage density and mud pit.
Hole #1 Tee Sign
Hole #1 Tee: Basket is through the tunnel and then about 300ft to the left

Hole 1 at Harmony Bends, Columbia, MO is the hardest I've played. Most courses seem to have a hole 1 on the easier side of the difficulty spectrum (relative to the course difficulty overall).

Someone mentioned Woodhenge in Smithville, mo. Great hole on a great course.

The first hole at Oakmont Country Club in Oakmont, Pennsylvania, USA. This hole is known for its tight fairway, deep bunkers, and an undulating green that can make putting challenging right from the start.
Sounds like a ball not disc golf hole?

Blue tee for Harmony Bends hole 1 (par 5, 833') is a tough birdie and easy bogie.

Camp Jordan Hole 1 was challenging tee shot with no warm up to start a casual round.
Can't argue with either of these, solid choices. Other possibilities:

Goat Hill #1 is a long, windy par 4 that plays into a small, sloped green. Easy for your approach to turn into a bogey or worse nightmare.

If it's your first time at altitude, Beaver Ranch hole 1 is daunting. Plenty of rough to get into when your disc inevitably hyzers out, plus you'll be lightheaded after climbing the significant elevation.

Hole #1 at Clark's Run.

Tight fairway for your first shot. Kick behind the hollies on the left and it almost a guarantee 5. Slightly raised basket with a sloping green makes approaches and putting touchy as well.
That is most assuredly a tough hole! I would have to give it some thought, but it is definitely a candidate for the most difficult hole 1 in Virginia.

Goyne Park Richmond Virginia #1 long tee less than 300 feet tunnel fairway on top of a Dam.
Goyne 1 Long is definitely one of the most difficult hole 1s in Virginia!
When I played it I just dinked a putter trying to keep it in bounds and settle for a par.

Honorable mention: Sugaree in Newland NC in a previous vintage when it was a par 4 playing to the green that is now on 1A. You had to execute 2 very well executed shots to avoid going down into deep woods and be in range of the basket.

Side note: when I play Sugaree I still combine 1 + 1A to make hole 1, a par 4. That 1A green is jaw dropping!

Honorable mention: Sugaree in Newland NC in a previous vintage when it was a par 4 playing to the green that is now on 1A. You had to execute 2 very well executed shots to avoid going down into deep woods and be in range of the basket.

Side note: when I play Sugaree I still combine 1 + 1A to make hole 1, a par 4. That 1A green is jaw dropping!
my second biggest dg regret is not bringin my personal phone with to take pics of sugaree when i was there

what an amazing place

That is most assuredly a tough hole! I would have to give it some thought, but it is definitely a candidate for the most difficult hole 1 in Virginia.
IMO Hole 1 on Lair is more difficult than Hole 1 at Clark's. Hole 1 Lair consistently plays as the second most difficult hole on that course relative to par. In some ways the 2 holes are fairly similar. Question becomes whether the added length/extra shot involved on the Lair becomes an opportunity to save a previous mistake or screw up a previous good shot. At CR a good drive pretty much puts par in the bag. Goyne/Ecoff #1 is silly but is more difficult than either of them imo.

IMO Hole 1 on Lair is more difficult than Hole 1 at Clark's. Hole 1 Lair consistently plays as the second most difficult hole on that course relative to par. In some ways the 2 holes are fairly similar. Question becomes whether the added length/extra shot involved on the Lair becomes an opportunity to save a previous mistake or screw up a previous good shot. At CR a good drive pretty much puts par in the bag. Goyne/Ecoff #1 is silly but is more difficult than either of them imo.
Many excellent thoughts, as usual. I need to chew on Clark's 1 vs Lair 1 a little bit more. They are both tough.

Also, I agree that Goyne 1 is brutal and overly punitive.

If I ever figure out how to simply search for a specific course, by name, I will drop a couple pics and holes.

If I ever figure out how to simply search for a specific course, by name, I will drop a couple pics and holes.
That's a good point. The easiest way I currently know to search for a course by name is go to Courses > Filter > Course Name.
Does that make sense?

Latest posts