• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] The mythical Innova ROC

Looking at picking up a couple Rocs. How do the non-color Glow DX Rocs fly?

https://www.marshallstreetdiscgolf.com/product/glow-dx-roc
for reference

The glow DX don't fly any different than a standard DX. I do find the grip a little better on the glow DX than the non-glow.

I have two types of DX glow- normal ones with a dome and flat ones. The ones with the dome have a little more glide and maybe a hint more stability compared to the flat ones.

If I had to stick numbers on a DX Roc fresh off the shelf I'd probably give it a 4/5/-.5/1.5 kind of a flight. My flat ones are probably closer to a 4/5/-1/1.

If I had to stick numbers on a DX Roc fresh off the shelf I'd probably give it a 4/5/-.5/1.5 kind of a flight. My flat ones are probably closer to a 4/5/-1/1.

Funny, I just searched this thread to ask about the flight of new DX Rocs, and the last post pretty much confirms what I wanted to ask about.

I'm committing to throwing just base plastic putters and mids for the remainder of the winter since my game is trash when I'm all bundled up and slipping all over the teepads. I just picked up a pretty domey 176 DX roc and am pleasantly surprised about how nice it flies compared to my ESP Buzzz and Eclipse Hex. Not quite as comfy to grip as the Hex, not as stable feeling as the Buzzz, but there is something special about it. Might be the effortless glide.

Anyways, I was noticing that on a good rip my Roc has a pretty significant high speed turn. Definitely not the 4/4/0/3 as claimed. I'd say its closer to the 4/5/-1/1 as ray1970 described. A lot more touchy and sensitive than a Buzzz or Hex.

Is that normal?

Not that I'm concerned. If I can work on my throws and dial in a really smooth clean release with the Roc, that's only gonna help level my game up. Gonna order a pile of F2 Rocs and Roc3s from the factory store and have fun with those and my Wizards this winter.

Funny, I just searched this thread to ask about the flight of new DX Rocs, and the last post pretty much confirms what I wanted to ask about.

I'm committing to throwing just base plastic putters and mids for the remainder of the winter since my game is trash when I'm all bundled up and slipping all over the teepads. I just picked up a pretty domey 176 DX roc and am pleasantly surprised about how nice it flies compared to my ESP Buzzz and Eclipse Hex. Not quite as comfy to grip as the Hex, not as stable feeling as the Buzzz, but there is something special about it. Might be the effortless glide.

Anyways, I was noticing that on a good rip my Roc has a pretty significant high speed turn. Definitely not the 4/4/0/3 as claimed. I'd say its closer to the 4/5/-1/1 as ray1970 described. A lot more touchy and sensitive than a Buzzz or Hex.

Is that normal?

Not that I'm concerned. If I can work on my throws and dial in a really smooth clean release with the Roc, that's only gonna help level my game up. Gonna order a pile of F2 Rocs and Roc3s from the factory store and have fun with those and my Wizards this winter.

When you say 'good rip' does it mean as hard as you would throw a higher speed driver? 4 speed rating means the DX Roc should be hitting those flight numbers just a bit past the speed you throw putters. Anything past that is overpowered and will straighten out the flight unless you adjust with more hyzer. I usually judge a mid range based on standstill/1 step type throws to slow down my release speed.

Premium plastic Buzzz or Hex will have a bit wider rim compared to the shrunk DX plastic. Thus why they get rated at 5+ speed in my mind.

Certainly there are less OS brand new DX Rocs off the shelf so maybe you just got one of those. Great variety for those that can differentiate the flight based on each disc's physical characteristics.

I was a Buzzz thrower for a long time and fairly recently started throwing Rocs. When I figured out you can't strong arm them like a Buzzz, everything changed. Such a versatile disc, even if it doesn't go as far as a driver....

Tangentially related, I've always wondered why that's a good thing. I get having the control of a mid at driver distance, but that just leaves a gap in distance between putter and fairway for me. Right where the Roc fits in.

When you say 'good rip' does it mean as hard as you would throw a higher speed driver? 4 speed rating means the DX Roc should be hitting those flight numbers just a bit past the speed you throw putters. Anything past that is overpowered and will straighten out the flight unless you adjust with more hyzer. I usually judge a mid range based on standstill/1 step type throws to slow down my release speed.

This is interesting to think about! So, a good rip for me is a nice strong clean throw with good snap. I may indeed be overpowering the Roc compared to a throw with a Buzzz. I feel like I need to give my particular Buzzz a really strong throw to get the intended flight out of it.

Best analogy I've probably had over the years, especially for dx rocs is they like to be thrown like a putter where a buzzz prefers to be thrown like a driver.

Give the roc like 70-80% with some height to let the glide kick in and they can go far.

I like this, and now see that this is a better approach to throwing a Roc.

I was a Buzzz thrower for a long time and fairly recently started throwing Rocs. When I figured out you can't strong arm them like a Buzzz, everything changed. Such a versatile disc, even if it doesn't go as far as a driver....

Tangentially related, I've always wondered why that's a good thing. I get having the control of a mid at driver distance, but that just leaves a gap in distance between putter and fairway for me. Right where the Roc fits in.

Yup, I might be strongarming the Roc, throwing with the same power and expectations as a Buzzz.

Thanks yall! Very illuminating.

Weird, I've always used Rocs for those full rip shots my putters wont get to - around 275-375 feet (lower end of that lately :\ ). I've had a couple that would turn, but most will hold the line on even the hardest throws. That's the Roc's thing. No turn like a Buzzz.

Best analogy I've probably had over the years, especially for dx rocs is they like to be thrown like a putter where a buzzz prefers to be thrown like a driver.

Give the roc like 70-80% with some height to let the glide kick in and they can go far.

height and a smidge of nose up to unlock that great glide. I have a buddy that's an avid Buzzz thrower and always comments my Roc shots get to the same spot but totally different flights.

I have 2 on the way!

Is that normal?

Bonus
The Roc will mature with use and maybe by spring you will begin the beauty of cycling...

Latest runs of KC Roc's feel like DX? In fact I'm wondering if I have a DX Roc with the KC stamp? I have never had a KC Roc before, so I have no baseline for how it should feel, other than comparing it to my DX Roc of course, and blind folded, I'm not sure I could tell the difference...

The DX and KC plastics are a little similar. Most of my Rocs are newer (within the last four years or so) and I would say the KC is slightly slicker, a little firmer, and kind of waxy compared to the DX. The DX is a little softer and has a better grip right off the shelf. They differences are slight though as far as the feel of the plastic.

The DX and KC plastics are a little similar. Most of my Rocs are newer (within the last four years or so) and I would say the KC is slightly slicker, a little firmer, and kind of waxy compared to the DX. The DX is a little softer and has a better grip right off the shelf. They differences are slight though as far as the feel of the plastic.

Came here to second this. The biggest difference is in the durability between the two. KC will hold up a lot longer than DX will. It's really amazing plastic.

Hey all, just checking in with my progress throwing that roc. Thanks for all ya'lls replies and insight to my question from about a month ago. I've been throwing my dx roc better and better. It getting beat up and flying soooo nice. Liking it so much that I picked up another dx, a KC, and a dx roc3.

Throwing only Rocs and Wizard this winter has taught me a lot about smooth swing and clean release. It really does have a magical flight too, I've been easily putting rocs in places that I used to struggle to hit with fairway drivers.

In fact, I just shot my best score ever on my local course yesterday using just a KC roc, a beat DX, and my trusty SS Wizard. (Its not a short pitch and putt either - good variety of trees, tunnels, and long open holes.)

Another, probably coincidentally weird thing: every time I miss a putt with my Wizard, I toss the roc from the same spot and it goes in easily. Friggin "player two" phenomenon I guess. (Or maybe I need to switch to a shallower/glidier putter.)

Anyways, I've never gotten so confident or reliant on a disc before than I have with the Roc. I'm strangely in no hurry to add fairways or distance drivers back into the mix.

Last edited:
Hey all, just checking in with my progress throwing that roc. Thanks for all ya'lls replies and insight to my question from about a month ago. I've been throwing my dx roc better and better. It getting beat up and flying soooo nice. Liking it so much that I picked up another dx, a KC, and a dx roc3.

Throwing only Rocs and Wizard this winter has taught me a lot about smooth swing and clean release. It really does have a magical flight too, I've been easily putting rocs in places that I used to struggle to hit with fairway drivers.

In fact, I just shot my best score ever on my local course yesterday using just a KC roc, a beat DX, and my trusty SS Wizard. (Its not a short pitch and putt either - good variety of trees, tunnels, and long open holes.)

Another, probably coincidentally weird thing: every time I miss a putt with my Wizard, I toss the roc from the same spot and it goes in easily. Friggin "player two" phenomenon I guess. (Or maybe I need to switch to a shallower/glidier putter.)

Anyways, I've never gotten so confident or reliant on a disc before than I have with the Roc. I'm strangely in no hurry to add fairways or distance drivers back into the mix.

This is awesome! I love the Roc/Wizard combo.

I'll make an absolute shameless plug for two discs that I designed to pair with this duo.

The Scale is our putter that has a putter bottom & a top I designed. It's more OS and has less glide than a Wiz while feeling nearly identical in the hand.

The Gila is a fast, OS mid that was designed to be a faster beefy Roc flight. I throw my Gila when the wind is up or I need a lower line than a Roc. It's also great for FH shots.

Both of these discs were made to be perfect pairs with the Wiz/Roc without encroaching on their glory.

Give them a whirl if you want to continue to dial in your PnA & Mid game before you add drivers back in. As always we have promo code DGCR live at Reptiliandiscgolf.com

Thanks for listening!
- Sincerely, a Wiz/Roc fanatic

<trim>
<trim>

Rocs can work well as putters, particularly for longer flatter lines under bushes, limbs, etc. A potential problem is that they'll fly farther past the basket than a conventional putter on a miss.

Before switching, evaluate the "second player phenomenon" by letting first player use a roc as a putter and second player uses a wizard. Smart money follows second man. ;)

Now that I've started throwing Rocs, I apparently need to try a Wizard again. I'm just really loving throwing my JK Aviars and they're fairly similar, though I do like Gateway's plastic better.

Before switching, evaluate the "second player phenomenon" by letting first player use a roc as a putter and second player uses a wizard. Smart money follows second man. ;)

You're absolutely right, of course. It really is a matter of me needing to spend more time at the practice basket working on my putting. A friend also suggested that I try out a lighter putter, instead of throwing a max weight Wizard all the time. Makes sense.

My beat DX roc does putt remarkably well though. For a one-disc round I'd probably grab it or my fresher KC.

GGGT had a $1 auction recently with some gems and I won an X-Out 20yr of Roc for less than $20 with shipping. I noticed its San Marino tooled. What can I expect from it? I did a little digging around this forum and it looks like they might be less OS than Rancho. Is that true?

Latest posts