• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] The mythical Innova ROC

I suppose the re-introduced Sanny Roc also would have had a fundamental problem with who we are as people. "Here is this BRAND NEW disc designed for the MODERN PLAYER made from the HIGHEST QUALITY SEXY SWEDISH PLASTIC...or you can buy this discs designed in 1989 that does the same thing." :\

I'm running into this right now...I have a bit of expendable disc money and want to try one of those Berry mids from Clash. It's a Buzzz, I know it's a Buzzz...but still. It's new and sexy and it's not currently overused by every McWannabe at the course.

I remember the one I had having a crazy dome on it. I'm comfortable with some dome...but this was just excessive.

I went out of my way to find low dome Sanny Rocs for quite awhile.

The Ontario Rocs just always had domes, couldn't be helped.

ROC's ROC!!!

Attachments

• 20230201_131016.jpg
    20230201_131016.jpg
    159.1 KB · Views: 80
Oh. My. God. I am kicking myself for not touching a Roc in over 15 years. They are insane. So buttery smooth, so much glide. Overstable but effortlessly controllable.

Liking the DX more than the KC Pro, might be the extra grip. I don't like throwing DX generally, but will have to make an exception for the Roc.

So, I put away my Rocs for a while during the winter...off the tee, I didn't have as much control with slick conditions, so I went for something a little grippier and easier to throw. I played a round with a few Rocs today to get back some control and aced with my 20yr star Sanny Roc. Looks like they're going back in the bag! They're just so good

So, I put away my Rocs for a while during the winter...off the tee, I didn't have as much control with slick conditions, so I went for something a little grippier and easier to throw. I played a round with a few Rocs today to get back some control and aced with my 20yr star Sanny Roc. Looks like they're going back in the bag! They're just so good

Time to update your signature...

The Champ Roc3 I have is pretty overstable, but it has a pretty glideless flight that goes fairly straight, but then just decides it's done flying and dumps left (RHBH). Did I get an anomaly? I'm getting my DX and KC Rocs out to 300 fairly easily, and this thing does not want to fly.

The Champ Roc3 I have is pretty overstable, but it has a pretty glideless flight that goes fairly straight, but then just decides it's done flying and dumps left (RHBH). Did I get an anomaly? I'm getting my DX and KC Rocs out to 300 fairly easily, and this thing does not want to fly.

My Big Bird stamped Roc3 is really flat, it flies overstable with less glide than what you would consider out of a Roc. My 2x Jolly Launchers flies more normal, with a fairly straight flight and decent glide. Your disc sounds kind of untypical for a Roc3. Does it have an unusual geometry?

My Big Bird stamped Roc3 is really flat, it flies overstable with less glide than what you would consider out of a Roc. My 2x Jolly Launchers flies more normal, with a fairly straight flight and decent glide. Your disc sounds kind of untypical for a Roc3. Does it have an unusual geometry?

Not that I can tell, it seems pretty normal. It feels good in the hand and looks even all the way around the rim.

That's wims' 2x! I have two Roc3s, one in Champion that I'm asking about here, and one in DX that I'll work in once my normal Rocs are starting to get beat.
I had a gooniebird-stamped Roc3 that I thought was kinda overstable for a Buzzz-type disc until I got a glow Roc3 that was a dumpy overstable glideless brick. At the same time I had a lighter domey gooniebird-stamped Roc3 that was pretty flippy. It was like playing Russian Roulette. That pretty much ended my Roc3 experimentation.

It was 10 years ago, though. Roc3's don't have a bad reputation for being wildly inconsistent, so later runs must be better than those early ones.

I had a gooniebird-stamped Roc3 that I thought was kinda overstable for a Buzzz-type disc until I got a glow Roc3 that was a dumpy overstable glideless brick. At the same time I had a lighter domey gooniebird-stamped Roc3 that was pretty flippy. It was like playing Russian Roulette. That pretty much ended my Roc3 experimentation.

It was 10 years ago, though. Roc3's don't have a bad reputation for being wildly inconsistent, so later runs must be better than those early ones.

What did you land on?

Early Roc3s were a little varied. Dave D addresses it in a PDGA forum post. I think it had to do with the new Jolly Launcher plastic and the new 3-tech was still a learning process. I had some 2x and 3x Roc3s that were weirdly understable and others were bricks. The early runs even have "plus" rims when they were molded up right, as per Dave.

What did you land on?
I was already throwing Rocs. I was just trying the Roc3 to see if it fit in the five-Roc rotation. It didn't. I just went back to throwing five Rocs. Sometimes I throw four Comets and a Sentinel. I've had those two basic setups going for a couple of decades. Sometimes I try new discs just to see what is what, so I've tried mixing in a Buzzz or a BuzzzSS or a Roc3 or a Mako3 or a Bard or a...you get the jist. In the end I never feel like I'm gaining anything I couldn't get out of the Rocs or Comets I was already throwing and just go back to what I always do.

I was already throwing Rocs. I was just trying the Roc3 to see if it fit in the five-Roc rotation. It didn't. I just went back to throwing five Rocs. Sometimes I throw four Comets and a Sentinel. I've had those two basic setups going for a couple of decades. Sometimes I try new discs just to see what is what, so I've tried mixing in a Buzzz or a BuzzzSS or a Roc3 or a Mako3 or a Bard or a...you get the jist. In the end I never feel like I'm gaining anything I couldn't get out of the Rocs or Comets I was already throwing and just go back to what I always do.

I'm my relatively short foray into throwing Rocs, I came to a similar conclusion. Rocs and I never clicked until I forced myself to learn them and I'm glad I did. The Roc3 I originally posted about was supposed to fill the OS slot and it's not quite working for me. It's either too dumpy powered down or too straight when thrown hard. I have a 2017 USDGC champ thrower Roc that's similar: beefy, but doesn't really push forward well. Maybe I just need to learn to manipulate my Rocs more, but a fresh KC isn't quite overstable enough for what I'm looking for. I've tried a RocX3 and hate the feel in hand, sadly. If I see anything in the used bin that might work, I might try it, but I'll keep working with the Rocs I have for now.

This is what the Roc3 was designed for - less glide and faster speed with the flat top & produced in premium plastic blends (less shrinkage as the plastic cools).

DX Roc3 will be less stable by a few ticks - closer to 5/5/-1/2 out of the box. Hard to match the glide and torque resistance from DX/KC Roc with a flat top disc.

I'm my relatively short foray into throwing Rocs, I came to a similar conclusion. Rocs and I never clicked until I forced myself to learn them and I'm glad I did. The Roc3 I originally posted about was supposed to fill the OS slot and it's not quite working for me. It's either too dumpy powered down or too straight when thrown hard. I have a 2017 USDGC champ thrower Roc that's similar: beefy, but doesn't really push forward well. Maybe I just need to learn to manipulate my Rocs more, but a fresh KC isn't quite overstable enough for what I'm looking for. I've tried a RocX3 and hate the feel in hand, sadly. If I see anything in the used bin that might work, I might try it, but I'll keep working with the Rocs I have for now.

The answer you seek is a Z Wasp. Very similar feel to a Rancho Roc but a tick more OS than a fresh KC and is not dumpy.