• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] The mythical Innova ROC

Funny story on that one, I thought I had two yellow first run DX Gators with the CoC stamp in an old collection of first run discs. I was going to give one to a guy; turns out I had stuck an SE Super Roc in the wrong box a long time ago.

Otherwise I would have thrown it a long time ago!

I'm not sure if they were all the same run or not, but the first bunch of SE Super Rocs I saw had the CoC stamp. Later I saw them with the bar stamp that actually said "Super Roc" on them. At the time we thought they were two different runs, but they all could have been from the same run for all I know.

Anyway, the one I posted I got around '98 I think. The bar stamped ones that said "Super Roc" on them turned up later, but I'm not sure how much later. I thought they were different runs becasue the later ones had great, great bulletproof plastic (at least bulletproof for the time.) The CoC ones were not that durable. They both flew like beefy Rocs; really good throwers. I was more into the 8X's though so I didn't really kill myself to get either kind of the SE Super Rocs; I'm pretty surprised to still have one.

The one I saw was white and chalky. Was the CoC stamp.
I missed the opportunity to snag it.
Thanks for the info threeputt.

The durability thing might have been a color thing. All the CoC ones I had were yellow; all the bar stamped ones I had were white. The color additive might have made a difference.

The one in the picture is plenty chalky. I think they all were. It looks shiny becasue I can't take a picture. :|

plh check indicates slightly higher or equal to the yellows. keepers for sure, MUCH flatter than the yellows, hardly any pop to them. they're lighter, but as long as all my mids are between 170-175 i think i'll be alright. as long as i'm throwing consistent weights, the weight itself doesn't bother me as much as the PLH does.

i believe i now have 13 rocs?

time to hunker down for a while and start breaking them in.

I've had many different Rocs over the past few years, several DX, one R-Pro+, a couple of Champ R3s and currently in trying out one of the Champ usdgc Roc+, it's got a little dome and is a little OS at low speeds whih I'm liking.

It's being pitted against my Yao and Z Buzzz. We shall see who wins.

I put together a list of discs preferred by the top pros, and they all carry 3-4 Rocs, with different weights, types of plastic, and wear levels, do maybe the answer is to not pick just one.

Part of what makes Rocs so good is that they're useful across their entire lifespan. It's why you see multiples in the bags of those that use them. It doesn't make much sense to pick multiples until your current one starts seasoning. You want cycles, not multiples of the same disc in similar states of wear.

I got to feel the MarshallST flat top roc from my friend today and noticed it had a nice straight rim. Not slanty like the new factory run crap they produce nowadays. :) Are they all like that?

I got to feel the MarshallST flat top roc from my friend today and noticed it had a nice straight rim. Not slanty like the new factory run crap they produce nowadays. :) Are they all like that?

No. I have one in the bag and a new one and both have slanted rims. It doesn't affect me much though. I wish they'd run them again. I'd like a white one.

In a sad bit of news, I threw my trusty Roc into a lake over the weekend with almost no chance of retrieval. I thought that since this thread shows some clear knowledge on the disc I might be able to get an idea on what version/style/etc that I actually had to be able to replace it.

I obtained it at a Worlds Biggest event sometime in the 2000-2006 era (best guess is 04) so that was the stamp on it. It was pretty flat and moderately stable at 171g.

Suggestions on a replacement version? My bag usually has a Comet and a Buzz and the Roc was the perfect complement for something inbetween them. I really hated my friends Roc3, FWIW.

I have absolutely fallen in love with the XT Rocs from the Factory store. They have a REAL flat top, which I haven't seen on a production rancho in years. The rims are pretty "plussy" but they are flat and STABLE! The plastic is kinda different, feels like a really firm R Pro to me or almost Vibram-ish. They are awesome rocs and I as long as I can hang onto them I think they will last me a really really long time.

In a sad bit of news, I threw my trusty Roc into a lake over the weekend with almost no chance of retrieval. I thought that since this thread shows some clear knowledge on the disc I might be able to get an idea on what version/style/etc that I actually had to be able to replace it.

I obtained it at a Worlds Biggest event sometime in the 2000-2006 era (best guess is 04) so that was the stamp on it. It was pretty flat and moderately stable at 171g.

Suggestions on a replacement version? My bag usually has a Comet and a Buzz and the Roc was the perfect complement for something inbetween them. I really hated my friends Roc3, FWIW.

If you've been throwing that Roc for 10+ years there isn't another Roc you can buy that will fly like it right off the shelf. Seasoned Rocs are amazing, but you have to spend the time to season them...

DX doesn't take long to beat in - I say just find a DX Roc that feels good in your hand in the same weight range and throw it as much as you can - it should be good to go by mid-late summer.