• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] The mythical Innova ROC

Yeah, if your old Roc was BETWEEN a Comet and a Buzzz in stability, I would assume it had been well broken in. Most Rancho Rocs start out a bit more overstable than a Buzzz in my experience. I would second the recommendation for the XT Ranchos from the Innova Factory Store: they are pretty nice Rocs and the plastic feels great (to me). DX is hit or miss; if you find some DX in the store that really feels nice to you, go for it, but it varies a lot from run to run and some of the recent stuff is really waxy feeling and not very durable. A KC Pro Roc would also be an option, although you're going to have to beat it in for a while to get the flight you're looking for (although I could probably say the same for the XT).

Ah, my comment about XT rocs looks like a reply to the guy asking about rocs. My bad. That was just supposed to be general Roc love, not a recommendation.

Good. Because any Rancho Roc, even DX, is going to take a while to sit between a Buzz and a Comet. And DX Rocs have to be picked by feel.

Going that far back, I was thinking it wasn't the Rancho mold at all. Or it was just 10-12 years old. I have KC Rocs that turn over and are less stable/OS than a buzz, but they have 4+ years of use on them.

so it seems like my options at this point are to either order 6-10 different roc's from the interwebs or just dig my old shark out of storage and hope it still flies at all...

the factory store doesn't seem to have a whole lot going in roc territory right now, plus i would feel compelled to spend $75 for the free shipping and end up with a whole lot of options. i just don't know what i'm going to do now!

should probably figure something out because i just played a terrible round at my regular spot and i don't want to blame it on the missing slot, but....

Find a Play It Again Sports in your area and dig throught their used stuff. I find nice "seasoned" rocs in there all the time. I use them to supplement my roc cycle when I loose one.

Going that far back, I was thinking it wasn't the Rancho mold at all. Or it was just 10-12 years old.
The Roc went to the Rancho mold in 1997. The re-created San Marino and Ontario molds didn't show up until 2009 and 2007 respectively. If he had a 2004 World's Biggest Roc, it was fo' sures 100% a Rancho. The Rancho was the only Roc they made then.

The pro shop has a pretty healthy selection of McPro Roc3s under the tour series category. This is the roc that re-converted me back from the buzzz after 5-7 years. Great grippy blend of plastic (like DX) but stiffer and longer lasting (like KC Pro). And they're FLAT for a very comfortable grip. Really nice disc.

The Roc went to the Rancho mold in 1997. The re-created San Marino and Ontario molds didn't show up until 2009 and 2007 respectively. If he had a 2004 World's Biggest Roc, it was fo' sures 100% a Rancho. The Rancho was the only Roc they made then.

Thanks for dropping knowledge! :thmbup:

Or get a San Marino Roc...

The Ontario Roc is what comes to my mind. I recently got two DX (one beat and one new) through a trade and they really remind me of a Comet, especially the beat one. Thrown on a hyzer it flips flat and glides for miles. They are nothing like a Rancho.

I haven't beaten in any of my San Mario's yet but out of the box they seem to be like a seasoned Rancho.

YMMV. :hfive:

The Ontario Roc is what comes to my mind. I recently got two DX (one beat and one new) through a trade and they really remind me of a Comet, especially the beat one. Thrown on a hyzer it flips flat and glides for miles. They are nothing like a Rancho.

I haven't beaten in any of my San Mario's yet but out of the box they seem to be like a seasoned Rancho.

YMMV. :hfive:

Thats a very accurate sumation IMO

I love freshie Sannies

Or get a San Marino Roc...

The Ontario Roc is what comes to my mind. I recently got two DX (one beat and one new)

I think this has been my problem/confusion/etc the whole time...

Not that it's a bad thing, but it really seems like they all vary so much and ordering something online like this kind of scares me.

Chances are I will still end up ordering 4-6 total discs and just run with em. Whatever I don't like i'll pawn off to some newbies who need a better mid game! The beauty of this game is I have come to terms with spending upwards of $75 in a clip for something new to play with.

Recently found a used "Multi-purpose" Rancho Roc at the local Play it Again. Why can't dx plastic still feel this good. It is really grippy, slightly gummy, still stiff and very durable. Way better than current run, I bagged it next to my McPro Roc 3 and Champ Roc3 (slight dome, very overstable) and am loving the combo

i got some older dx rancho rocs if anyone is interested. At least I think they're older. One is a glow. They're both pretty stiff/durable but not overly, pretty grippy, not slick.

Recently found a used "Multi-purpose" Rancho Roc at the local Play it Again. Why can't dx plastic still feel this good. It is really grippy, slightly gummy, still stiff and very durable. Way better than current run, I bagged it next to my McPro Roc 3 and Champ Roc3 (slight dome, very overstable) and am loving the combo

I love finding those at my local PIAS. People throw them away just cause they look a little old. The most recent I picked up is perfectly stable, and really shows NO turn. I was honestly hoping it would to use as my flippy Roc.
That older buttery DX is really some awesome durable plastic. Its almost like its self-healing. It will get a nick in it, but it just smoothes over and disappears with a little time.

My favorite Roc ever was a pretty flat yellow MultiPurpose 12x KC Pro... It felt like Soft Butter in the hand but was stiff and grippy. Straight as an arrow, 0 Turn 0 Fade, could absorb as much power as I gave it. But she shattered last month on tree :(

Any new KC Pro's coming out flattish? Its been DomeCity last few times I checked.

My favorite Roc ever was a pretty flat yellow MultiPurpose 12x KC Pro... It felt like Soft Butter in the hand but was stiff and grippy. Straight as an arrow, 0 Turn 0 Fade, could absorb as much power as I gave it. But she shattered last month on tree :(

Any new KC Pro's coming out flattish? Its been DomeCity last few times I checked.

All the KCPro's I have seen have been pretty domey. I lucked up and got me one last year that is still pretty fresh and is pretty flat.

I also dropped my Star San Marino Roc for that Fresh KC Pro Roc I got last year. I wanted to keep the same feel in the hand when switching Rocs so I pulled it.

Now I'm rocking 3 KCPro Rocs and a Champion Roc3 for my Rocs now.

All the KCPro's I have seen have been pretty domey. I lucked up and got me one last year that is still pretty fresh and is pretty flat.

I also dropped my Star San Marino Roc for that Fresh KC Pro Roc I got last year. I wanted to keep the same feel in the hand when switching Rocs so I pulled it.

Now I'm rocking 3 KCPro Rocs and a Champion Roc3 for my Rocs now.

^Marshall Street has a lot of Flat Top KC pros, they even have flat top glow KC, and their standard DX flat top rocs. I almost bought a bunch. But decided to try out the DX Roc3 and McPro Roc3.

the one thing with those super domed KC Pro rocs that I love is the glide is epic. I have a buddy that loves super domed KC Pro's and when I throw them it glides just as far as fairway drivers with the same rip.

I just ordered some DX Roc3s from the innova pro shop. I'm curious at how they'll break in/season. I've compared the McPro Roc3's to Flat Top KC Pro Rocs and they are eerily similar (i know they're different molds but you can hardly tell) and their flights are very similar too. I'm sure the DX Roc3 will be similar to the Flat Top DX rocs.

^Marshall Street has a lot of Flat Top KC pros, they even have flat top glow KC, and their standard DX flat top rocs. I almost bought a bunch. But decided to try out the DX Roc3 and McPro Roc3.

the one thing with those super domed KC Pro rocs that I love is the glide is epic. I have a buddy that loves super domed KC Pro's and when I throw them it glides just as far as fairway drivers with the same rip.

I just ordered some DX Roc3s from the innova pro shop. I'm curious at how they'll break in/season. I've compared the McPro Roc3's to Flat Top KC Pro Rocs and they are eerily similar (i know they're different molds but you can hardly tell) and their flights are very similar too. I'm sure the DX Roc3 will be similar to the Flat Top DX rocs.

Oh yeah I complete forgot about the glideyness of the domey ones. My 11xRoc I use is on the medium scale for wear and that sucker is dead Straight glidey and has just a small fade at the end. It's my most used Roc in my bag.

I may have to check out Marshall street and see what they got. Thanks :D

KC pro is mega dome city right now :sick:

If you want flat rocs just pull the trigger on the XT rocs from the pro shop