• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] The mythical Innova ROC

Plus molds area staple of Innovas at this point. Either get used to it (aka get over it), pay a bunch for collectors, or switch brands.

Seriously. I got into disc golf after they were basically the norm so I don't mind them at all. But I could see how it would be frustrating to players that were accustomed to how they used to be. Manufactured products change over time and are not the same as they "used to be", for the better or worse. I feel the same about New Balance shoes as some people do about "the plus molding" of Innova.

Plus molds area staple of Innovas at this point. Either get used to it (aka get over it), pay a bunch for collectors, or switch brands.

The slightly plus mold annoyed me at first. Its probably a sign that I'm getting old. When I threw the roc3 for a little while the angle of the rim didn't bother me at all. I have no problems with other Innova products with the same angled rim. Oh well...

Yeah the plus or "wonky" rim bothered me initially but I pushed through the barrier and now I can effectively throw production Rocs without batting an eye. Feels good to not be an elitist anymore with Rocs as the plastic has actually been coming along nicely on the latest runs.

Yeah the plus or "wonky" rim bothered me initially but I pushed through the barrier and now I can effectively throw production Rocs without batting an eye. Feels good to not be an elitist anymore with Rocs as the plastic has actually been coming along nicely on the latest runs.

Bingo. People need to suck it up, it's not THAT big of a difference. The actual Roc+ is much worse.

Bingo. People need to suck it up, it's not THAT big of a difference. The actual Roc+ is much worse.

It's not a BIG deal, but it just doesn't feel as good to me. I always feel like I can hold onto a vertical rim to that magical 3/4 o clock position more easily. I fully admit this may be purely psychological. Just discussing it; wasn't trying to say it is world ending.

Edit: the actual Roc+ is MUCH MUCH worse. Word.

I too throw all production Rocs. I love'em! I recently received a 11x and guess what? There's slant in the rim. :clap:

It isn't that big of a difference. But over 300 feet of flight a tiny difference of release angle gets amplified. I make 95% from 15- 20 feet. But only 50% from 30-35 feet. I throw my plussy KCs when I play courses with lots of water. Put a plussy yellow KC in the drink at Trojan Park in Rainier Oregon yesterday, not a single tear was shed.

I'd have gone in that radioactive sludge after a good one though....

I stopped caring about the "plussy" rims the moment I collected 3 aces on the same "plussy" Roc within the same year. There's no such thing as a bad Roc just a Rocs you haven't become familiar with yet.

I stopped caring about the "plussy" rims the moment I collected 3 aces on the same "plussy" Roc within the same year. There's no such thing as a bad Roc just a Rocs you haven't become familiar with yet.

The new DX and KC Rocs I have fly great despite their plussy rims. I'll give you that for sure.

Ive never cared about plus rims. I threw one for about 2 years and loved the thing. The plus rims to me are all just mental.

The plus rims are fine. The problem starts when you have 3-4 Rocs in your bag and no two rims feel the same. A bag full of either would be better than a mix. But I will happily take your straight rims and trade you all my plussies....

You could throw legacy ghosts...I have a few icons(star) 1st runs with the ghost stamp and it is noticeable how straight the rim is compared to the rocs I have.

I have a stack of Ghosts and that is what I throw. But i hadn't thrown Rocs in a while and wanted to try them out again.

For some I know Roc's are an acquired taste, but it was love at first throw for me. I bag 3 DX Roc's and I am waiting on my MB Roc3.

For some I know Roc's are an acquired taste, but it was love at first throw for me. I bag 3 DX Roc's and I am waiting on my MB Roc3.

They were definitely an aquired taste, but today I nailed metal from the tee on three holes I haven't before. Glad I gave them more chances.

i love and hate rocs. i love love the flight of a good dx roc. its magical. but i hate dome. hoping the roc3s I've acquired fixes that even though i know its not a "real" roc per say.

every disc golfer should throw rocs at some point in their throwing career

I now use KC pro rocs so much. Just the run of the mill stuff available now. There's the usual "roc" shots 220-290ft wooded fairway shot.

But a couple of shots I use KC Pro rocs on where I didn't before:

- the 300-320ft wide open fairway shot. before if it was wide open and a little over 300ft I'd use a fairway driver (like a FD/Teebird or PD) or Distance Driver (Destroyer) on a hyzer line. now I can just throw a gentle hyzer high with a KC Pro roc as hard as a want and it'll get there for a putt. with the fairway driver or distance driver I could get there but sometimes the skip is too big and it flares 50ft away, or I buzz saw it and it hyzers out too early, or I blow past it with a distance driver because I didn't put enough hyzer on it.

350-400ft down large hill shot, a lot of courses have these, where theoretically you can get pretty much any disc that distance. Drivers are especially touchy because you actually have to turn them over some or they hyzer out early, but you can throw a nice floaty roc down that elevation and watch it float all the way down just as far as a good distance driver.

350-400ft down large hill shot, a lot of courses have these, where theoretically you can get pretty much any disc that distance. Drivers are especially touchy because you actually have to turn them over some or they hyzer out early, but you can throw a nice floaty roc down that elevation and watch it float all the way down just as far as a good distance driver.

I love Rocs for this shot. It feels like they just want to hold the line they are released on, and it feels so much easier to hit the landing zone without drifting off really far. For down hill and tail wind shots Rocs can be magical.

Any thoughts on the XT rocs from people that have put them through their paces?

I like the feel and grip of XT plastic in the hand better than a lot of DX. However, my experience is that the flight plate of XT discs warps easier on tree hits than DX does, and thus they beat in faster. Also, if you're talking about the XT Rocs in the factory store, they are flat tops which exhibit the differences in wear that have been discussed ad nauseam in this forum in reference to flat top Rocs.

All that being said, I did have an XT factory store Roc for a while that I really liked until I lost it in a huge blackberry thicket on a big downhill hole.

Latest posts