• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] The mythical Innova ROC

The flat top Rocs are not as overstable as the regular ones. Glow doesn't seem to make much difference. The more domey regular KC Rocs are more overstable but I've still never really found them to be all that overstable. Just workable all around solid mids that holds their stability for a long while. They are certainly not like a Buzzz OS or a Verdict or a Gila. Honestly I've never really understood the 3 fade rating on the Rocs. Just tradition I suppose.

I agree with this.^^^^

I bought a few flat Rocs because I heard so many rave about them, I didn't care for them at all. Traded them away.

I like my Rocs with a little dome and I have found the domier, the more stable they are. The most stable/overstable Roc I own is a pop top KC, that and Star Ranchos.

I agree with this.^^^^

I bought a few flat Rocs because I heard so many rave about them, I didn't care for them at all. Traded them away.

I like my Rocs with a little dome and I have found the domier, the more stable they are. The most stable/overstable Roc I own is a pop top KC, that and Star Ranchos.

Same reason I bought one lol. My glow dx roc has a pop top and it flies just the way I want it to. The flat kc does feel great even if it's not as os :(

I lost my trusty star san marino a week ago and was looking through the bullpen this morning and picked up an r-pro I haven't used in awhile. They just feel so nice in the hand. Are they still in production? Innova's site lists a Pro Roc in the plastics but not the R-pro specifically.
Saw a bunch at Wal-Mart last time I was there

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I agree with this.^^^^

I agree with you for the most part, but I've come almost full circle on flat top rocs. They were my transition to rocs from buzzes, years ago. I found that they weren't as stable too, and when they wore in, they didn't get sweet like a regular roc, but unpredictable. I transitioned to regular rocs and have pretty much stayed there, but I got a flat top this year again and its found a place in the bag. When new, they have the all the HSS, but not the LSS. That makes them great for power straight shots, which is how I like to play tunnel shots. I can rip it as hard as I want and trust it won't turn, but then not fade too hard out at the end either. I've found myself going to it more and more for that shot. But again, the downside is that they don't really have that magic cycle, so you use one, wear it in, then chuck it.

You can get a regular roc to do the same thing for the most part if its in that part of the cycle, but its nice to know I can just pick up a flat top any time I need.

Last edited:
Chick it till it breaks I hope, the beauty of KC pro is they keep integrity till they die. I have one that's from the multipurpose days, it's down about 6-8 grams but still has a touch of late fade.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Noooo! I lost my most used, most seasoned, starting to get silly magical flippy DX roc on Sunday. I kicked off a tree and went into the remainder of an old junkyard. We all looked for quite a while but came to agree it was swallowed by a tangle of rusty old car parts in a deep ditch.

I got out a flat top DX from the car, threw a couple hard spike hyzers and tried to tune the rim a bit. It's not the same... but it will be. I didn't like the flat tops before, but they are straighter, and seems like I can get it back in to the US roc slot. For now I'm putting the QMS back in to cover that shot, but hope to work in this flatty and another so I know I have a backup.

Noooo! I lost my most used, most seasoned, starting to get silly magical flippy DX roc on Sunday. I kicked off a tree and went into the remainder of an old junkyard. We all looked for quite a while but came to agree it was swallowed by a tangle of rusty old car parts in a deep ditch.

I got out a flat top DX from the car, threw a couple hard spike hyzers and tried to tune the rim a bit. It's not the same... but it will be. I didn't like the flat tops before, but they are straighter, and seems like I can get it back in to the US roc slot. For now I'm putting the QMS back in to cover that shot, but hope to work in this flatty and another so I know I have a backup.

I do the same with the QMS. Not in the bag always, but one of the best gap fillers to keep around.

I do the same with the QMS. Not in the bag always, but one of the best gap fillers to keep around.

When I used to lose a Roc, a Comet would ALWAYS fill almost any gap. Now I have many Rocs.

Comets are the thing I miss throwing the most.

Haven't thrown comets much, may need to try and dig one up in a used bin or something to check it out.

Comet flies basically the same lines as a beat Roc it's just noticeably slower so it doesn't quite get the same distance. A little more glide a little less speed.

I do not agree. Comets always went farther for me. If you lock them into flat, they just go go go.

comets get further for me too. well potential distance if there's not too much wind.

comets also need less arm speed to get the same distances for me. they are just more touchy

that being said a perfectly seasoned roc is almost the same.

For me, comets do seasoned roc things, but they require more touch, but less power. Pick your poison. If you like the finesse play, bag a comet, if you like the power play, bag a seasoned roc for that slot.

I agree that the comet has more distance potential, if you catch it right and it rides that air, it will just-keep-going. As a practical matter though, for my game, the roc is more reliable in a power distance shot.

So everybody that cycles Rocs. How many Rocs do you think is the perfect number to cycle? Right now I roll with a USDGC Champion Rancho Roc, (Overstable) KC, (Straight) KC & a (Flippy) KC. I also bag a Recon Mortar, I mostly throw it forehand though. I've been thinking about adding in another KC/DX Roc. I'm just curious how many Rocs other people carry in their bags.

There are currently:
USDGC Champ Roc
Star San Marino Roc
On the over side of stable KC pro (this one is being cycled in)
Straight KC pro
Flippy XT

There is likely some overlap (ok, there really is).. but i don't care. There are a few flat topped KC's at home that the XT has shoved out for the time being.

There isn't really a "magic" number. I guess basic would be 3. I carry a backup or 2 with me. Mostly to toss around after my real shot to season in, but occasionally there's a quirk with one that just works. Short answer I have 5 right now. 2 mf for OS, one of which is slightly more beat. 1 r-pro and 1 DX, and one beat KC.

I carry 3; A beat DX, Seasoned KC and a New DX.
When my beat DX becomes really beat, I plan on bagging 4!

Comets are further for me as well. You'll know when you have good form, because it'll just gliiiide. A seasoned Roc/Ghost is the next closest thing. It just requires a little less touch, little more power. Both are great and have a spot in my bag.

There isn't really a "magic" number. I guess basic would be 3. I carry a backup or 2 with me. Mostly to toss around after my real shot to season in, but occasionally there's a quirk with one that just works. Short answer I have 5 right now. 2 mf for OS, one of which is slightly more beat. 1 r-pro and 1 DX, and one beat KC.

You carry two Metal Flake Rocs? Are they Roc3s? I don't think I've ever seen a MF Roc that wasn't a Roc3.

Latest posts