• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] The mythical Innova ROC

Wait a second, I just thought about it.

Maybe the + mold was considered RC2 if it was a modified Rancho mold, then this change could be RC3.

Still RC3 would make more sense than Roc 3. Maybe the Big Bird stamp is a misprint, if they just added a 3 behind the Roc and future stamps will say RC3. Probably just wishful thinking though that Innova would follow a clear and logical way to name and identify their discs.

I believe that Dave Dunipace said that this is the the 3rd version of the Rancho mold, so it's called a RC3 or Roc3. Either one works.

Going into my second month of this new hobby and I keep hearing about the ROC. Usually in a low respectful tone with everyone nodding their heads in agreement at this sacred flyer. Please educate me.

What is your experience with this disc and what are the different variations (ontario vs classic)? What is your favorite plastic and weigth.

I also can't help but notice Innovas love of R-O-C (CRO, ORC).

Thanks for the education.

Kev.

Question, is it 4.6 months or 4.6 years you've been into 'this hobby?'

Anyway, no matter, my two cents on the Roc: most (most) die-hard Roc-ers are old(er) school players. I have some sort of bio-mechanical deficiency...I generally can't make any Roc, in any plastic, from any CA town, behave. I don't care for them. Just personal preference. I'd say do what the others are saying, drop $7 on a DX and see how it works for you.

But (again, IMO) there are too many better mid-range choices out there now to mold yourself (pun intended) into a 'roc man' just because of its 'aura.'

Wait a second, I just thought about it.

Maybe the + mold was considered RC2 if it was a modified Rancho mold, then this change could be RC3.

Still RC3 would make more sense than Roc 3. Maybe the Big Bird stamp is a misprint, if they just added a 3 behind the Roc and future stamps will say RC3. Probably just wishful thinking though that Innova would follow a clear and logical way to name and identify their discs.

I thought it was b/c:

1) "Classic" Roc, fairly recently re-released, but the orig is version 1.0, re-release as "classic" 1.1
2)Rancho/Ontario etc Roc, more or less versions 2.0, 2.1, 2.2, etc
3) the Roc3, a bit "faster," supposedly flatter/mildy beefier rim, hence version 3.0

So in that line of thinking of the Rancho molds you have the standard DX Rancho, you have the KC Pro Rancho, you have the R Pro Rancho then you have the Champion Rancho (RC3) mold.....but haven't we forgotton the past Champ Rancho molds from 2001 through 2011 in the USDGC rocs that were Rancho molds? Then what about the SE Rocs that were Rancho's too. Each Roc listed above is different and have different domes, different noses (some are blunt, some are thin or sharp), some are flat tops, etc... THIS IS WHERE I'M CONFUSED!!

AHHHHHHHHHH..my mind is beginning to hurt...I love them all but need clarification on the different Rancho molds.

Last edited:
lol...isnt it rancho mold,rancho + mold and then RC3 mold..that would be 3 versions of the rancho?

It isn't variations of rancho/san marino. It's:
-Classic Roc (small diameter)
-Big Diameter Roc (Rancho/San Marino/Ontario)
-Roc 3 (Which is really just a champion plastic flat roc (like the old ching mold, or the flat DX that East factory makes))

It isn't variations of rancho/san marino. It's:
-Classic Roc (small diameter)
-Big Diameter Roc (Rancho/San Marino/Ontario)
-Roc 3 (Which is really just a champion plastic flat roc (like the old ching mold, or the flat DX that East factory makes))

also if what your saying were to be true..id would be called the ROC6 or something

The other thing about the Roc is skill level. The fact that this thread exists demonstrates how varied the Roc is. Inconsistent IF you think of the Roc as one disc. What the Roc seems to me to be is an entire line of similar mids.

For a newer player, and i'm still somewhat in that category, it's just unnecessarily, ridiculously confusing. Highly skilled players/long time Roc throwers, who've been around for much of it's history, are more apt to be able to make any single mold work for all their mid-range needs, but I'm not that guy.

lol...isnt it rancho mold,rancho + mold and then RC3 mold..that would be 3 versions of the rancho?

I see where you are going but if you look at all the different types of Rocs out there....DX, KC Pro, R Pro, Champ and CE (old school 2001-2005 USDGC), Champ (2006 to present USDGC), SE and SB Rocs.....each Rancho mold is different in some way....some have blunt noses, some have sharp noses, some are domey and some are flat....it seems like there are more than 3 different Rancho molds out there....

The other thing about the Roc is skill level. The fact that this thread exists demonstrates how varied the Roc is. Inconsistent IF you think of the Roc as one disc. What the Roc seems to me to be is an entire line of similar mids.

For a newer player, and i'm still somewhat in that category, it's just unnecessarily, ridiculously confusing. Highly skilled players/long time Roc throwers, who've been around for much of it's history, are more apt to be able to make any single mold work for all their mid-range needs, but I'm not that guy.

i have to agree..the roc world can be very confusing,but all u need to know is u can do everything with a rancho..most champs= super overstable,KC pro=overstable,dx=stable,beat dx=understable

but its not called ROC 3..its RC3 as in Rancho Cucamonga 3

Exactly...if the company itself can't even figure out how many versions there are....?

Hot mess, IMO.

To OP: keep your buzzz, get a Fuse for US mid. If the Roc works out as an OS mid, beautiful. I'm still trying to solve that hole in my bag. Right now I'm using a combo of a champ Rhyno and a perfectly flat Firebird, depending on shot/distance.

In spite of my venom-spitting on the Roc, I'm going to give the new one a shot (eventually) to see if the talk is true, that they're flat, HS stable, with a nice late-ish fade...but I'm skeptical.

yeah but all those are just little tweaks..rc3 is the 3rd definatively different rancho mold

i have to agree..the roc world can be very confusing,but all u need to know is u can do everything with a rancho..most champs= super overstable,KC pro=overstable,dx=stable,beat dx=understable

Just because i'm a sucker, I do have a couple 12x KCs. I do use it for shorter thumber/'hawks/trouble/'trick' shots.

I just can't get the roc to work for me RHBH, and in today's market, why force it?

I see where you are going but if you look at all the different types of Rocs out there....DX, KC Pro, R Pro, Champ and CE (old school 2001-2005 USDGC), Champ (2006 to present USDGC), SE and SB Rocs.....each Rancho mold is different in some way....some have blunt noses, some have sharp noses, some are domey and some are flat....it seems like there are more than 3 different Rancho molds out there....

Sounds like you may be somewhat conflating "molds" and "blends/plastics."

i agree..much in the same way that i cant throw a buzz..it seems to evacuate my hand prematurely..i feel like i need that bead and some feel like the bead is a doomsday device

When will
All the people come to realize that Innova
Suffers from consistency issues?
Purchase a WASP

For all the arguments about Roc vs Buzzz, they are not the same type of mid.
A Wasp is a Roc that never changes and you dont have to know what city, year, or who was president when it was made. They are all the same.

i like the "consistancy issues"..it allows me to find multiple discs in a mold im comfortable with that fly differently..seems like a winner to me..if i went with a wasp id have to have 2 to 3 other different molds that i may not be comfy with.

also z plastic feels so slippery in my dry hands

I will always have at least 2 Rocs in my bag no matter what other mids I may have in there from different companies. The Roc is without a doubt the best mid ever made from any company. People can preach about the Buzz (great disc and I have one in the bag) or the Wasp or Hornet or blah, blah blah...The Roc can handle anything...period!! Here is list of the mids in my bag:

175g Glow 10x Replica KC Pro Roc
174g DGCR Flat Top DX Roc
173g JO Champ Roc (on the sidelines 180g 4X Kenny Glow and 180g 2005 ZD Champ Roc)
180g Ontario Zone Drive Roc
173g Icon Ghost
173g Glow Z Buzz

That's right....6 mids which enable me to handle every situation imaginable...plus I have the DX SM Cobra and Champ Stingray in there too...I love my mids...I can do damage with these suckers on any course and in any condition...you may that there is some major overlap in my bag but...I like those overlaps...gives me options on what I want to happen.

Last edited: