• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] The mythical Innova ROC

That's odd. My champ roc flies like a freak beefy DX roc. Very HsS, but straight with a glider hook fade off to the left at the end. It's overstable for sure, but not drop out of the sky overstable.

Well my Champion Roc isn't stupid OS like a Justice or anything, but even on an anhyzer release it will turn back to the left pretty quickly. That can be useful for certain shots, but it's not really what I was looking for in a midrange when I got it, and given that it's Champion plastic it's not easy for me to beat it to straight either.

Well my Champion Roc isn't stupid OS like a Justice or anything, but even on an anhyzer release it will turn back to the left pretty quickly. That can be useful for certain shots, but it's not really what I was looking for in a midrange when I got it, and given that it's Champion plastic it's not easy for me to beat it to straight either.

What Roc is it? What year/stamp?

Mine is a rings roc, it's definitely got less glide than a DX or KC, but it's got glide. It flexes out of an anny but not aggressively. I'd say the overstability is most similar to a Q sentinel, not on the gator end of the spectrum. I'm throwing rocs about 280-300 currently.

Admittedly I don't throw the champ that often. I'll throw a fresh DX for a left finish most of the time, BUT on those lines where I need straight for 220-240' then breaking left hard, or throwing a hard high line hyzer that is gonna hold that hyzer and not budge, the champ roc can't be beat.

FYI - I tried tossing a fresh R3 and a probably 6.5/10 DX Rancho in the dryer for an hour. My hypothesis was that if I could artificially knock a significant amount of stability of either of these, I would be satisfied in my quest for a roc that beats into the magic sweet spot quicker.

They came out somewhat scuffed, and it would seem that the R3 in particular had some areas around the rim that had been bonked the requisite amount to bend the PLH down slightly, which is what I was looking for.

Anyway, I took them out to the course and...
no apparent change in flight path. Straight to fade, like a slower, brand new Z buzz essentially. Not anywhere close to the flip up to forward fade I wanted. :wall:

I picked up a 171 gram rancho on a whim this weekend, which if I decide to go down the path of a cycle will be a welcome addition. I may also have to try a DX VRoc sometime as it sounds like a pretty legit mold. For now, however, I think I'll skip the rocs and roll with comets plus an overstable bookend.

Try a Shark 3, No dome like a Shark but is more like a beadless low dome to flat ROC in shape. It flies like a more Overstable Buzz but not a true OS Buzz. Only flaw, the Shark 3 only comes in Champion still.

Last edited:
Anyone have any more info on the 01 remake rocs? Were these all supposed to be board flat? I found one that has a subtle dome and just has the * and weight penned on the back. Any other identifying factors? It's gummy, but not bend in half gummy.

I have a couple, the first ones were the dayglow super beef flat and gummy ones. I've got a few of the royal blue flat ones also, probably not quite as gummy or beefy but still very nice.

All of those were confirmed remakes...i know they came from dgu. I've snagged 2 others locally, another dayglow but low 170s that isn't as flat and gummy as my other remakes but marked as such. Definitely not your average hot garbage super dome star rancho. The other was a flat white one that isn't as gummy as my confirmed remakes but just as beefy and not marked like a remake.

From what i gather there wasn't one giant run that was dubbed the "remake run". I believe these are ones ran as usdgc star rocs over the years that were probably found and they decided to release them bit by bit as a limited release. The first ones i remember seeing were the dayglows, probably how they got called remakes...similar color and beefy.

Anyone have any more info on the 01 remake rocs? Were these all supposed to be board flat? I found one that has a subtle dome and just has the * and weight penned on the back. Any other identifying factors? It's gummy, but not bend in half gummy.

Hey, thanks for that info! Any idea what the current going rate on these are?

I have a couple, the first ones were the dayglow super beef flat and gummy ones. I've got a few of the royal blue flat ones also, probably not quite as gummy or beefy but still very nice.

All of those were confirmed remakes...i know they came from dgu. I've snagged 2 others locally, another dayglow but low 170s that isn't as flat and gummy as my other remakes but marked as such. Definitely not your average hot garbage super dome star rancho. The other was a flat white one that isn't as gummy as my confirmed remakes but just as beefy and not marked like a remake.

From what i gather there wasn't one giant run that was dubbed the "remake run". I believe these are ones ran as usdgc star rocs over the years that were probably found and they decided to release them bit by bit as a limited release. The first ones i remember seeing were the dayglows, probably how they got called remakes...similar color and beefy.

Depends on what you've got color wise and stamp wise. The gummy dayglows get more typically because they're the beefiest, stock stamped ones won't fetch as much as like an Air Force or big bird stamped ones. Some of the other colors have some swirls to them and might get a few more bucks, or you might get lucky with a color somebody is after. I've paid 25 for an 8/10 used one and felt it was a pretty good deal. New you're looking probably in the 40-50 range maybe a bit more if it's something a bit more unique.

I've got a few of the stock stamped ones. Two pinks and a red. Both penned with just a *, pretty flat, and definitely beefy. They are really nice. The pinks I have are pretty swirly. I got them at Lavone Wolfe's shop, and I believe he got them when he visited the DGU warehouse.

The used one i mentioned getting is a red one. First red one I've owned, pretty much identical in feel to my blue ones. Haven't thrown it yet though. The oranges, pinks, and peaches seem to be the swirlies ones.

I've got a few of the stock stamped ones. Two pinks and a red. Both penned with just a *, pretty flat, and definitely beefy. They are really nice. The pinks I have are pretty swirly. I got them at Lavone Wolfe's shop, and I believe he got them when he visited the DGU warehouse.

Unpopular opinion, I don't love the roc. I do however, love a disc is the roc family so I'm not a total failure. That roc3 is so consistent where I could never get my rocs to do anything :(

I could not get them to do what I want. I just never loved mine. The mako3 and roc3 cover every shot. It was also uncomfortable in my hand

It's fine. I mean, I've watched guys tear up a course with a Buzzz. I can't get a Buzzz to do anything other than hit the ground. My Roc throws outdrive my Buzzz throws by a comical amount. For other throwers it's the other way around.

It's just that, well...this is the Roc thread. "The mythical Innova ROC" which means Rancho's, San Marino's and Ontario's. You have to, like, take your Roc 3 and get your own thread. :|

How long does it usually take to break in Rocs?

I purchased my first Roc (KC pro) about a month ago and I'm frustrated with it to the point that I'm not using it on the course at all and only give it some courtesy throws during field work hoping to break it in.

Every time I throw it, it immediately hyzers out of my hand, I don't think I've gotten it to fly straight a single time even in the field. I have no problem throwing my other mids and putters dead straight but it seems impossible with my Roc no matter what adjustments I make.

Seems the common opinion is these discs take time to break in but this seems over the top to me, is this the standard experience? I assumed "break in" meant going from a good disc to a great disc but currently I feel like my disc is unusable.

How long does it usually take to break in Rocs?

I purchased my first Roc (KC pro) about a month ago and I'm frustrated with it to the point that I'm not using it on the course at all and only give it some courtesy throws during field work hoping to break it in.

Every time I throw it, it immediately hyzers out of my hand, I don't think I've gotten it to fly straight a single time even in the field. I have no problem throwing my other mids and putters dead straight but it seems impossible with my Roc no matter what adjustments I make.

Seems the common opinion is these discs take time to break in but this seems over the top to me, is this the standard experience? I assumed "break in" meant going from a good disc to a great disc but currently I feel like my disc is unusable.

How far are you throwing mids, for real?

How far are you throwing mids, for real?

Assuming the signage at my local course is accurate, I can get my Compass out to 260-280.

I'm not going to pretend I'm a great player or anything, but feel I have reasonable control and consistency with my other mids and putters but with my Roc all bets are off. My control with the Roc is like night and day compared to my control with my other mids/putters.

You started with the wrong plastic for Rocs. DX is the best way to start. KCs start really beefy comparatively. People need to stop listening to those that say DX breaks with the first tree hit. DX Rocs can reside in your bag for years before they break. Unless, of course, you live in an area that's nothing but jagged rocks.

Latest posts