• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] The mythical Innova ROC

New find for me with Rocs, picked this up from PIAS online and didn't relaize it was a TFR stamped- bottom stamp. Guessing this is from 2012-2015 era. Any else run into these before?
294433aaabbae612fffffdb2c25b7905.jpg

1568b77c92094cd3436a4086174dcbd7.jpg

Not sure when they started using that bottom stamp but they're still using it right now. I have a small stack of them from about a year ago and I still see them on the shelves in my local shops. Not sure what that top stamp is but it's kind of cool.

Not sure when they started using that bottom stamp but they're still using it right now. I have a small stack of them from about a year ago and I still see them on the shelves in my local shops. Not sure what that top stamp is but it's kind of cool.
I have no idea when they started using that stamp. They have been using it for at least 15 years, though.

The original bottom stamped rocs were advertised as "Roc Bottoms", which I thought was cool. That had to have been '98-'99-ish; the stamp was just the Innova Barstamp that said "Roc" on it.

Probably not, but any difference in flight? I feel like Destroyers and Wraiths tend to be more OS. Might just be coincidence
I know some really good players (George Smith being the most notable) who swear by the bottom stamped Rocs and say they ARE more OS. I'm not going to say they are wrong. All I will say is I've never noticed anything about them that makes me think they are generally any better or worse than normal DX Rocs.

I know some really good players (George Smith being the most notable) who swear by the bottom stamped Rocs and say they ARE more OS. I'm not going to say they are wrong. All I will say is I've never noticed anything about them that makes me think they are generally any better or worse than normal DX Rocs.

I have thrown a couple of the bottom stamped Rocs, coincidentally bought at George's shop. I didn't notice them being more OS but George has thown way more Roc shots than I have with all my discs combined, so I defer to his knowledge/experience. I still have one of those Roc's, interestingly its probably my longest Roc, seems to have a bit more glide. The other one I had met an early demise into the creek at Harmony #18.

I have no idea when they started using that stamp. They have been using it for at least 15 years, though.

The original bottom stamped rocs were advertised as "Roc Bottoms", which I thought was cool. That had to have been '98-'99-ish; the stamp was just the Innova Barstamp that said "Roc" on it.

So the "thrower" bottom stamp for the Roc actually has changed, takes a keen eye to notice. The text of "Roc" is a different found and the text on the guys shirt changed from "Innova" to "Innova Discs". Guessing the timing of the change was 4-5 years ago, maybe even further back. But like most DX Rocs, most are good, some are great and some are bad. nothing exactly defining about them in particular.

Attachments

• 20211012_365897_o.jpg
    20211012_365897_o.jpg
    77.8 KB · Views: 42
Last edited:
Yeah hopefully you get one of the good ones, but if you get one that's too domey you can use the hot water method to knock down some of the dome.

Careful of the "PLUSness" - very domey+hot water=change.

In order for the dome to dissipate math n **** means the rim won't be in the same place it once was.

I got a Philo DX color glow tour series Roc. Nice, mild dome (not pop top) and the plastic feels like a really nice blend, stiff and a little tacky like it has a little Pro in it. I dig it.

I should really pick one of these up. Philo is one of my favorite players to watch and is such a good guy. Based on your description, that may be enough to get me to buy one.

I got 3 of the Philo tour series and consensus is they're a good OS DX Rancho based on a few throws, not big enough sample size to see how they age.
Small gripe- knowing that it's the run of the mill stock DX Rancho that he actually throws, I feel like it would have been more fitting for his tour series disc to be regular DX vs. DX Glow.

I for one love some of the bottom stamp dx that are really rubbery. I feel, with my dry hands, the go further because of improved grip.

I for one love some of the bottom stamp dx that are really rubbery. I feel, with my dry hands, the go further because of improved grip.

There are a lot of good runs of Roc out there. I agree on the grip. I have dry hands as well (until it gets to be this time of year and the rain won't stop and then my hands are constantly wet lol).

This is the prize in my DX Roc collection:

Anyone else remember this stamp?

Had an orange one 15+ years ago. Was thinking about that stamp/disc recently and wish I had held onto it or someone would print up some more. Btw, what's up Luke, been a while (it's Will, used to live in Greenville/Raleigh in the early 2000s).

Had an orange one 15+ years ago. Was thinking about that stamp/disc recently and wish I had held onto it or someone would print up some more. Btw, what's up Luke, been a while (it's Will, used to live in Greenville/Raleigh in the early 2000s).
I am in VA now too. I remember you from my first ever PDGA tournament: the 2002 Big Valley Challenge final round lead card with Chris Coquinot(sp?) and Paul Piper. Lol! That was a long time ago! I saw you played the Fly and are signed up for the Shag. I may try to skip out on work that Sunday and play myself if there are spots available. You ought to come hang with the Apple Valley crew sometime.

As an alternative to my full cart setup, I put together a small shoulder bag of all-DX Innova classics. Destroyer, Mamba, Valk, Teebird 3, TL, Leopard, Cobra and Roc. The exception being an MVP Anode putter which wasn't doing anything and was different than my usual Voodoos. Just like the Teebird 3, the Roc is really dependable for going where you intend it to.

Latest posts