• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] The mythical Innova ROC

I have only had 1 KC and 3 DX, but my KC developed turn before most of the fade beat out while the DX all lost fade first and then the got the slow drift to the right. It is a small sample size (I do not wear out discs quickly at all), but I prefer the DX flight and plastic feel enough that I never have bothered to check out more KC's. The KC also was a 165, while 175-180 for the different DX.

I also believe where the wearing occurs can impact the flight patterns, though I have not tried testing the theory to find out if true (wear on bead vs wear on the parting line).
+1 to this. While I haven't thrown Rocs in quite a while, my experience is the same. Also, per my anecdotal experience, DX wears more evenly, especially if you're in a rocky area like, say, Central Texas or Arizona. My KC Pro Rocs had a tendency to get big chunks taken out of them when hitting rocks or trees vs. just scuffs and nicks. More preferentially, I found the DX plastic easier to grip than KC Pro which felt a little more slick to me

I have only had 1 KC and 3 DX, but my KC developed turn before most of the fade beat out while the DX all lost fade first and then the got the slow drift to the right. It is a small sample size (I do not wear out discs quickly at all), but I prefer the DX flight and plastic feel enough that I never have bothered to check out more KC's. The KC also was a 165, while 175-180 for the different DX.

I also believe where the wearing occurs can impact the flight patterns, though I have not tried testing the theory to find out if true (wear on bead vs wear on the parting line).
I think it is safe to say your KC being 165 explains your experience. Any Roc, once you drop under ~170, does not maintain their Roc qualities. Every KC I've ever bagged does the Roc thing: loses the fade and is a laser beam for a long time, then the turn starts creeping in.

I've thrown many, many, Rocs--DX and KC--and from my experience the only noticeable difference in the two plastics is 1)feel/grip and 2)wear rate. DX will always be grippier, though beat up KC feels fantastic. And obviously KC takes exponentially longer to season.

There is truth to KC's having more of a plus rim compared to DX's. It is also is possible that the more rigid plastic makes it stand out more.
I have never clicked or held onto a KC long enough to see the stability change from fresh to thrashed. With DX, however, I have done it multiple times and it is wonderful. A few years back I switched to an all DX Roc lineup, minus a lone Z Wasp. I have a big enough stash I don't feel like I run through fresh Rocs too quickly. I will nab another freshie from time to time, doesn't hurt since they're only $9 a pop.

short answer is DX Rocs can get you the beat in flight faster. and nothing is more beautiful than lacing a super beat DX Rancho that turns so late you thought it was thrown on hyzer from the opposite hand.

Last edited:
I've cycled both KC and DX, been thru a handful a year for 10-plus years. For context, I throw Rocs when I need 200-260ft with a tight line. I've found that both plastics beat to that no fade flight but DX takes much less time to do so. I'm mostly cycling DX at this point because I enjoy the quick cycling. As for a plus rim, I haven't noticed that so I'll have to check it out.

Welcome to the Roc.

Last edited:
Appreciate all who responded!

As an update: I ended up finding a couple of KC pros with a matching wing (non-rounded) to my DX's. Both 180g max weight, complete twins, same color of a light turquoise. Both started out at a sturdy 4/5/0/2, absolutely zero turn and a stern sweeping push left at the end. After thrashing one for a week (forehand rollers when walking the dog, nailing trees, tomahawks to the next tee pad on every hole, putting practice) I got it to what I'd consider a "2.5 roc". 4/5/0/.5 would be my numbers for it, but when you really crank on it with a slight anhyzer it holds it all the way to the ground.

Couple notes: it did wear in exactly like my DX roc did flight wise, but not as quickly. Laser beam straight, doesn't want to turn, just helicopters down without much of any change to the roll angle as it loses speed. Holds hyzers, holds anhyzers. I throw my distance drivers non-internet golf line 450 and gave this one all I could and it just didn't turn and didn't fade, held the angle its whole flight.

The dome actually slightly lowered during the process; both started out with an identical large dome (if you look up KC Rocs on OTB's site and look at the ones with a "5" for dome, that's what they are) but the one that's beaten in has lost 10-15% of its total dome height. Still domey, but interesting that it happened. I looked at my DX that's also beaten in and the same thing happened to it.

The plastic gets to the really tasty "worked in KC" feeling with more FH rollers/flight plate slides on grass and a few leave-in-the-hot-car heat cycles within a week.

Latest posts