• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

The Newest Greatest thing you just figured out

Not sure if this has been mentioned on here yet, but I have recently learned to throw under stable plastic on a extreme heizer line. It is a fun and pretty shot to watch. I usually do it with my blizzard wraith or katana. It is a good shot for going over or around tress. And still get distance. The shot will slowly flip flat or close to flat and then penetrate forward. It eventually fades back to the center of the fairway if I am throwing it off to the right (RHBH).

JR said:
Where on the Leopard is your thumb relative to the wing/flight plate transition? Leo is not a hard but not the easiest driver to release cleanly. Normally slip issues tend to arise the closer the thumb is toward the outer edge of the disc so some get help from moving the thumb toward the center from the wing/flight plate transition. Much in means slower arm whip from too tight muscles slowing down the arm movement. Too much thumb in toward the center can be a problem for clean releases.

Before my guess is that it was about 45ish degrees from parallel. Parallel being in line (as possible) w the rim of the disc. Now it sits parallel w the rim, just barely inside of the inside edge of the rim. This seems like it just where it should be and I just wasn't paying any attention before.

45 degrees is severe but depending on the disc and hand size one or two thumb widths inside of the seam is ok. It reduces the nose down pushing chances.

I bought a bunch of golf towels at a resale shop, paid a buck or less each. Darn pleased with them.

A golf towel is just a hand towel (hand towel refers to a size). The cotton towels which work best are the oldest, most beat up and thread bare. I used to get new plush towels that looked and felt nice didn't absorb well. Now I let someone else buy them new and beat them up for me.

For many backhand players any towel is fine. Being forehand dominant, I have trouble with grip and need towels which dry completely. A shammy doesn't absorb well enough. The microfiber ones are decent but attract too many burs. A big stack of old cotton towels lets me change towels frequently and helps diminish exposure to poison ivy too.

The newest thing I have learned that has helped my game is a new philosophy for casual rounds. When playing casual focus on skills not scores. If you stop worrying about trying to PR and worry more about learning a new shot, you scores will start dropping without even noticing. This has played a big role in my putting. I used to miss short so in practice rounds I started focusing on accelerating my disc more while putting, and at the start I missed a lot of putts, but after a while I got more accurate, and it helped in the end. The main thing is to stick with it. It is easy to shoot a bad score and get discouraged and go back to your comfortable shots, but you will never get better practicing shots you already know. Branch out of your comfort zone, because you never know when that new shot will come in handy.

Last year I threw sidearm, then forgot it because of a shoulder breakdown. Tried to pick it up again this year with no success until I remembered what grip I had last year.

Slowing down on disc speed in drivers gives me way more control.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4

Rhbh. leaving my left leg on the ground longer gives it a chance to actually do some meaningful work which lead to a better understanding of the concept "separation" between legs, hips and torso. Combining this and focusing on the weight of the disc and active wrist extension resulted in more accurate distance in the woods.

Well this latest discovery is pretty darn small, close to inconsequential but nonetheless useful to me.

I have installed caribeeners (those little hook things) on my big floppy hats.

I actively dislike sunlight. I walk from shade to shade and wear big floppy hats. The fashion police have never been happy with me anyway. :shock:
When I throw a shot I take my hat off. On a drive there is no real choice. Either I take the hat off or it flings off my head and lands in the dirt. On a putt the hat bothers and distracts me and Lord knows I already have enough problems with putting.

So when I take off my hat I perch it on my bag (or cart, though of late I have reverted to the bag and camp chair combo). But how to attach it to the bag? Like for long walks down shady fairways or even for shots where the bag is on a sidehill and I don't want the hat sliding off and tumbling into the dirt?

I drilled a small hole on the back brim of the hat and attached a small caribeener which easily hooks and unhooks to the bag or cart. A small pleasure of life. But if you aren't going to get major pleasures then small pleasures are there to be appreciated. :D :D

While briefing over this thread I may have missed this suggestion, but anyway. In my return to disc golf, in Mi., in January, I have been using Blistex on the problem areas of my hands, and it has prevented cracking. It does take some rubbing it in, and of course you want to remove it from the grip areas of your hand (I never use it within a few hours of a round).

IthrowRocs said:
While briefing over this thread I may have missed this suggestion, but anyway. In my return to disc golf, in Mi., in January, I have been using Blistex on the problem areas of my hands, and it has prevented cracking. It does take some rubbing it in, and of course you want to remove it from the grip areas of your hand (I never use it within a few hours of a round).

Hmmm. The same Blistex meant for use on chapped lips? I'm slightly intrigued as I too experience frequent cracking in my hands, particularly during the winter months.

inthedrift said:
I've been using Working Hands cream, it does a pretty decent job.
Working hands is great stuff. Yes the same Blistex, medicated green tube. It holds up longer than the thinner lotions or creams. If I do have any cracking, a layer of Blistex and a bandaid will close it and soften the area in short order.

Big run ups only give a couple of dozen of feet for a 400' thrower. They are good for distance competitions strenghtening the legs and showing why gym work is needed for balance muscles. On open holes they are ok if you practice them a lot but they are desperation shots otherwise.