• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

The one term that doesn't belong in disc golf

'vibe(s)' is a oft used term used by commentary/interviews on the professional side of things that doesn't really belong. It seems to be the default description/interview question of the player's mindset/focus or the full card getting along well and supporting one another during the rounds. I don't think its out of place on the local course or in more non-professional casual disc golf environments.

Certainly some on course terminology borrowed from traditional golf doesn't apply directly to disc golf but I wouldn't say they "don't belong" with how long they have been in use - no need to try to make up unique to disc golf terminology when golf is in the name of the game. Its important that the official rules be written in the most technically correct way to describe disc golf but general discussions shouldn't be held to that standard.

I play disc golf 90% of the time but still enjoy traditional golf.
My parents refer to them as, " frisbee golf" and " real golf".

lotion-it.gif
This was my first thought also. Pretty sure from now on I'm going to be putting on my best Buffalo Bill voice, replacing lotion with disc and yelling it at least twice every time I play.

I despise the word "pin" being substituted for basket. We definitely do not use flag sticks.

To be honest I prefer not to use the word "greens" either to describe the area around the basket, but that is splitting hairs more than I care to. Disc golf doesn't technically even have "greens" that are substantially different from the fairway terrain in the same way that golf does.

Did not read the article, but it hurts my brain hearing commentators say "They just threw their second DRIVE from the fairway" or "It will take two great DRIVES to get near the basket".

DRIVE = from the TEE ONLY.

You sound like you might be in my camp regarding "field ace" - which I think could be the dumbest term in any sport.

I agree that the word stable is misused a lot.
I'd like to see "neutral" replace "stable" because players (mainly newer players) are always using it wrong.
I often hear someone say "that disc is so stable!" when they really mean overstable.

It would be easier if there were 3 flight characteristics for discs. 1. overstable 2. neutral 3. understable. Neutral being straight flying.

I agree with you about "ball golf" (it should realistically just be "golf") but what annoys you about "death putt"?
I play both so use 'ball golf' when talking about my ball golf rounds, experiences, etc. Disc golfers tend to describe their play as "golf" so there needs to be a differentiation. "Ball golf' works in that aspect. Seems lots of disc golfers really hate that 'ball golf" is the heritage of their own sport. I can say that if disc golf wasn't so anti-ball golf, the rules would make a bunch more sense.

I play both so use 'ball golf' when talking about my ball golf rounds, experiences, etc. Disc golfers tend to describe their play as "golf" so there needs to be a differentiation. "Ball golf' works in that aspect. Seems lots of disc golfers really hate that 'ball golf" is the heritage of their own sport. I can say that if disc golf wasn't so anti-ball golf, the rules would make a bunch more sense.
I sort of agree but tend to think of it as more driven by a sort of inferiority complex rather than hate of the heritage.

I agree that the word stable is misused a lot.
I'd like to see "neutral" replace "stable" because players (mainly newer players) are always using it wrong.
I often hear someone say "that disc is so stable!" when they really mean overstable.

It would be easier if there were 3 flight characteristics for discs. 1. overstable 2. neutral 3. understable. Neutral being straight flying.

I know many disc golfers would like the word stable to mean only a neutral flight, but when long time pros use it as synonymous with a flight that is more towards overstable, no matter what kind of flight they were expecting from the disc, I think that ship has sailed.

You will frequently hear pros comment "Man that disc is stable" meaning that it failed to flip, or started to hyzer earlier or harder than they expected. You won't ever hear them say that same phrase if they expected the disc to be overstable and it wasn't.

Noobs might use these phrases incorrectly, but "stable" is only rarely used to mean a neutral flight IME.

Last edited:
Jimi and Carl tried, but it never caught on
Funny thing, but in that video one announcer said (at the end) "Andrew keeps his 3 stroke lead..." I think that we should change "stroke" to "throw" because you stroke a ball with a club but we throw a disc.

Not directed at anyone in particular, more toward the conversation as a whole.
1691095256000.png

I know many disc golfers would like the word stable to mean only a neutral flight, but when long time pros use it as synonymous with a flight that is more towards overstable, no matter what kind of flight they were expecting from the disc, I think that ship has sailed.

You will frequently hear pros comment "Man that disc is stable" meaning that it failed to flip, or started to hyzer earlier or harder than they expected. You won't ever here them say that same phrase if they expected the disc to be overstable and it wasn't.

Noobs might use these phrases incorrectly, but "stable" is only rarely used to mean a neutral flight IME.

That is the truth.

So, unfortunately when someone says the so and so disc is "stable" you then have to ask if they mean it flies straight. (where's the Bang Head Against Wall emoji???)