• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

The one term that doesn't belong in disc golf

That is the truth.

So, unfortunately when someone says the so and so disc is "stable" you then have to ask if they mean it flies straight. (where's the Bang Head Against Wall emoji???)

"How stable is it?"

I think the phrase I most often hear to describe a straight disc is "neutral". Sometimes you will hear "straight stable" (I think Madison Walker sometimes will say that on commentary, but I could be wrong.

I have some locals that say 'over-turning a disc' and they mean not that the disc turned-over or flipped, but that it faded/stabled/hyzered out. I tried correcting them, but it's in their vocabulary now and I just do the conversion in my head when talking to them.

If discers are going to 'complain' about ball golf terms being used and wanting to do away with them and the comparison to ball golf....let's start with the word 'golf'. No more disc 'golf'. And then we can get down to the comparisons to ball golf and create all our own terms for our sport. I propose 'Discin'

I have some locals that say 'over-turning a disc' and they mean not that the disc turned-over or flipped, but that it faded/stabled/hyzered out. I tried correcting them, but it's in their vocabulary now and I just do the conversion in my head when talking to them.
Yep!...a lot of locals in my area will yell "turn!" when they want the disc to fade in order to miss a tree.

I know many disc golfers would like the word stable to mean only a neutral flight, but when long time pros use it as synonymous with a flight that is more towards overstable, no matter what kind of flight they were expecting from the disc, I think that ship has sailed.

You will frequently hear pros comment "Man that disc is stable" meaning that it failed to flip, or started to hyzer earlier or harder than they expected. You won't ever hear them say that same phrase if they expected the disc to be overstable and it wasn't.

Noobs might use these phrases incorrectly, but "stable" is only rarely used to mean a neutral flight IME.
If only players would use the word "Hyzer" correctly...

Hyzer is the downward angle of the disc at release, not during the flight.

RHBH. /

Hyzerflip means releasing the disc with hyzer ( / ) and turning to flat or flipping all the way over (turnover)

Anhyzer ( \ )is an upward angle of the disc at Release.

RHBH. \

Both of these terms are used at release of the disc.

While in flight, when thrown RHBH, a disc that goes left (meaning the left side of the is usually lower then the right side) is Helixing.

While in flight, when thrown RHBH, a disc that goes right (meaning the right side of the disc is usually lower then the left side) is turning-over.

^ This!

Discs don't "hyzer out." They fade.

You can throw a disc on a hyzer, and it can hold that hyzer angle, flip flat, or even turn. But the fade at the end of the flight is just that... fade. Strike "hyzer out" from your vocabulary.

Irritates me that even seasoned pros use that term.

I agree that the word stable is misused a lot.
I'd like to see "neutral" replace "stable" because players (mainly newer players) are always using it wrong.
I often hear someone say "that disc is so stable!" when they really mean overstable.

It would be easier if there were 3 flight characteristics for discs. 1. overstable 2. neutral 3. understable. Neutral being straight flying.

I know many disc golfers would like the word stable to mean only a neutral flight, but when long time pros use it as synonymous with a flight that is more towards overstable, no matter what kind of flight they were expecting from the disc, I think that ship has sailed.

You will frequently hear pros comment "Man that disc is stable" meaning that it failed to flip, or started to hyzer earlier or harder than they expected. You won't ever hear them say that same phrase if they expected the disc to be overstable and it wasn't.

Noobs might use these phrases incorrectly, but "stable" is only rarely used to mean a neutral flight IME.

That is the truth.

So, unfortunately when someone says the so and so disc is "stable" you then have to ask if they mean it flies straight. (where's the Bang Head Against Wall emoji???)

"How stable is it?"

I think the phrase I most often hear to describe a straight disc is "neutral". Sometimes you will hear "straight stable" (I think Madison Walker sometimes will say that on commentary, but I could be wrong.

:sigh:

Definition of the word Stable

Post #20 (158 total) in ^that thread from me 5/14/19 below (paraphrased):

Stable? Overstable?
overloaded terms: more stable
Pick the most stable disc
More Stable vs. More Stability
Stable vs Unstable
What does the term "more stable" mean?
"More Stable" Discussion

The only thing that will always occur when a disc holes out per the rules is to "hit the target", which is still how the game began. You can sometimes hole out with the disc landing in, on or wedged in the basket/tray/cage and you can sometimes hole out with the disc completely in the chains or hanging from the deflection assembly. But in every case, the disc hit or contacted the target to hole out.

My point is that our game started as a target sport and the only reason Ed added the basket was to confirm that your disc struck what had been a solid target (tree/post/pole). This pole morphed into a chain assembly but ironically, we lost the idea that you should score or complete the route by hitting these new-fangled chains even though they were noisier and easier to determine disc contact than a pole or post! We lost the idea of completing the route by striking the target (area), not specifically land in the newly created basket. Why? So the contraption could be patented.

There are potential future ramifications from this line of thinking but for now, suggest "targeting out" and 18-target course as alternatives to "holing out" or 18-hole course.

"Basket" is WAYYYY harder to say than "hole." Just look at how many more complicated mouth movements you have to make.

Language evolves to be lazier. It doesn't get much lazier than hole

"Basket" is WAYYYY harder to say than "hole." Just look at how many more complicated mouth movements you have to make.

Language evolves to be lazier. It doesn't get much lazier than hole
Even shorter would be "HO" for Holing Out. HO-HO-HO could be a turkey at Christmas.

Seems lots of disc golfers really hate that 'ball golf" is the heritage of their own sport.
I hate that bolf (or stolf) courses take up massive amounts of real estate and resources and only let the wealthy enjoy them. The sport of stolf is really fun and challenging, but the social baggage it carries is unacceptable.

To be honest I prefer not to use the word "greens" either to describe the area around the basket, but that is splitting hairs more than I care to. Disc golf doesn't technically even have "greens" that are substantially different from the fairway terrain in the same way that golf does.
i say "the circle"