• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Mids] The Piwakawaka is the best disc you’ve never thrown!

JKieb704

Bogey Member
I never would have found RPM discs if I didn't get the "Piwak" in a player's pack from a recent tournament. I put the disc aside for the tournament weekend, but told myself I would try it out afterwards. I have a few rounds in with it now, and my god... it's glorious.

Brand new - it flies like your 5 year old seasoned Roc. It's a very easy to throw midrange, and it glides for days. A couple times I literally stood on the tee pad just waiting for it to start falling. There is essentially no fade to this disc - just gentle forward push the entire time (for reference: I'm not a big arm - I'm throwing mids about 250' average). I definitely recommend trying it out; it's already got a spot in my bag. The plastic feels great too - I'm not sure what it's called, but it's firm and translucent (like champion plastic).

I'm sure there are others on DGCR who know a lot more about RPM and the Piwakawaka then me. I would love to know more about this disc.

Last edited:
Great mid, a lot like a Westside Warship. The one you got is the Cosmic plastic, I like the Atomic which is their usually swirly Star like plastic the best.

I got mine from a friend who went to NZ a few years ago and brought a couple back. He has a Straus which is their basic plastic, and a bit more understable.

RPM makes a very good set of discs, the Kahu will straight bomb.

RPM Cosmic plastic is amazing. I'm going to have to check one of these out if it's like a Warship.

I own two, one in Strata and one in Cosmic. Strata is very very flippy right out of the box, Cosmic is possibly the most magic understable mid I've ever thrown. Turns but never burns, everyone should try one.

I own two, one in Strata and one in Cosmic. Strata is very very flippy right out of the box, Cosmic is possibly the most magic understable mid I've ever thrown. Turns but never burns, everyone should try one.

I have to glow Atomic's that fly very nicely. You literally have to puff a waft of air at them and they glide forever.

I used to have a Cosmic, but I sold it off when I thought I didn't like them. More fool me. I'll replace it one day.

I have to glow Atomic's that fly very nicely. You literally have to puff a waft of air at them and they glide forever.

I used to have a Cosmic, but I sold it off when I thought I didn't like them. More fool me. I'll replace it one day.
You couldn't be more right, with my Strata Pwack if I almost barely flick it on hyzer it stands up and just glides forever and ever, I've overshot 250' holes with like 25% power because it just glides and glides forever, takes a little more power to do the same thing with Cosmic plastic but if you rip into the shot it goes almost as far as my Fairways, there is a 320' hole local to me that just barely bends to the right and I'm always reaching for the Cosmic Pwack, 60-70% throw with a teeny hyzer and it flips so slowly that it just finishes perfectly flat still moving right at the basket.

Everyone needs to try one, really a special mid.

I've been searching this year to find alternatives to my straightest and most workable mid: the MD in base plastic. In addition to wear issues, Discmania pretty much stopped producing the disc (and with the recent change to their business, it may be gone forever).

I'm new to the Piwak: strata arrived last week. Feels great in the hand: shallower than my other mids (Stari, Comet, MD2). The Strata plastic feels solid and a bit grippy, the first touch reminded me of the base plastic Prodigy uses in the P Model S.

It flies great, with little effort. As others have noted, Strata IS pretty flippy out of the box - so i'm still working to see how much hyzer I need on the release to maximize the flight. And it will turn and burn in any headwind, or when I throw it with OAT. So, it's not as forgiving to bad form as some mids. It's more like throwing a putter in that sense.

I like the disc so much that I've already ordered an Atomic. I didn't go straight to Cosmic because I feel like I've bought a million discs is some type of "Champion-like" plastic that have been too OS for me to get great distance out of. But given the flippy nature of Strata...who knows?

Can't wait to be asked by buddies The name of the disc that I just threw so beautifully...

I'm on board. My Comet and Stari might be living on borrowed time...

I did actually pick up a lovely golden orange Cosmic last week. It is slightly more overstable thank my glow Atomics but just barely. Lovely disc.

Update, after playing several rounds...

I cannot believe the glide on this thing! I overshot several baskets yesterday by a good 20+ feet. Dead straight. I agree that the Cosmic plastic is only slightly more stable than Atomic; although they're both noticeably more stable than Strata.

I have to relearn my upshot distances because of how far this thing glides!

I've been searching this year to find alternatives to my straightest and most workable mid: the MD in base plastic. In addition to wear issues, Discmania pretty much stopped producing the disc (and with the recent change to their business, it may be gone forever).

I'm new to the Piwak: strata arrived last week. Feels great in the hand: shallower than my other mids (Stari, Comet, MD2). The Strata plastic feels solid and a bit grippy, the first touch reminded me of the base plastic Prodigy uses in the P Model S.

It flies great, with little effort. As others have noted, Strata IS pretty flippy out of the box - so i'm still working to see how much hyzer I need on the release to maximize the flight. And it will turn and burn in any headwind, or when I throw it with OAT. So, it's not as forgiving to bad form as some mids. It's more like throwing a putter in that sense.

I like the disc so much that I've already ordered an Atomic. I didn't go straight to Cosmic because I feel like I've bought a million discs is some type of "Champion-like" plastic that have been too OS for me to get great distance out of. But given the flippy nature of Strata...who knows?

Can't wait to be asked by buddies The name of the disc that I just threw so beautifully...

I'm on board. My Comet and Stari might be living on borrowed time...
Today was my first day with a cosmic piwaka, I will agree it is not very forgiving to bad form. Almost all my forehand shots were flipping until I powered down and added more touch. Backhand I was getting some really nice straight shots. My first impressions are that the Piwakawaka is a touchy disk that shows you your bad form. Less forgiving than the Pekapeka. It could have also been the wind today. Interesting disc regardless. Will need to spend more time with it. I will say I am starting to love the Tui as a midrange approach disk.

Today was my first day with a cosmic piwaka, I will agree it is not very forgiving to bad form. Almost all my forehand shots were flipping until I powered down and added more touch. Backhand I was getting some really nice straight shots. My first impressions are that the Piwakawaka is a touchy disk that shows you your bad form. Less forgiving than the Pekapeka. It could have also been the wind today. Interesting disc regardless. Will need to spend more time with it. I will say I am starting to love the Tui as a midrange approach disk.
I find that I have to really exaggerate my palm up/hyzer forehand to keep from OATing the Pwack, for that reason I don't FH it much but I absolutely adore it for long straight flip to flat backhands.

I find that I have to really exaggerate my palm up/hyzer forehand to keep from OATing the Pwack, for that reason I don't FH it much but I absolutely adore it for long straight flip to flat backhands.
Its hard for me to describe how it felt, after only one day. The best way is to describe it is like a knife, not your cheap less than $30 kitchen knife but your high end +$100 German and Japanese knives. The Piwak is not a chefs, or sankto, all purpose knife. It feels like a specialty knife, except its not a one trick pony, its a trick pony for sure, but it has multiple tricks. Like a pairing, filet and butcher knife all in one. One must master each throw to get the best of it, but if you dont know what you are doing you will cut yourself. Hope that makes any sense.
Long story short, this disc feels complex in its abilities and needs practice, and even more practice to unlock its full potential.

The Peka on the other hand feels more like a forgiving Chefs (sankto) knife over a specialty knife. Still a high end knife though.

Its hard for me to describe how it felt, after only one day. The best way is to describe it is like a knife, not your cheap less than $30 kitchen knife but your high end +$100 German and Japanese knives. The Piwak is not a chefs, or sankto, all purpose knife. It feels like a specialty knife, except its not a one trick pony, its a trick pony for sure, but it has multiple tricks. Like a pairing, filet and butcher knife all in one. One must master each throw to get the best of it, but if you dont know what you are doing you will cut yourself. Hope that makes any sense.
Long story short, this disc feels complex in its abilities and needs practice, and even more practice to unlock its full potential.

The Peka on the other hand feels more like a forgiving Chefs (sankto) knife over a specialty knife. Still a high end knife though.
That's an absolutely excellent analogy with the knives! Honestly I love finicky discs, I throw a ton of neutral putters(0 fade 0 turn) and I tend towards more understable hyzer flip stuff for a lot of shots, I've got a serviceable FH inside 300' but anything over that I'm going backhand turnover instead, if I absolutely mash on the Pwack and I get the angle right it's 350 dead straight or even a little right finish all day but you're very right that if I get it wrong and it's just a little bit nose up I won't get the turn I need and if it's a little too turned over it won't ever fight back to flat.

Recently invested in a couple cosmics. First RPM disc. I generally use clear plastic (Z, Lucid, etc) discs for pretty much everything, and this sounded like a faster, more comfortable comet kind of disc.

Definitely doesn't need much juice to get up and ride straight. Needs a bit of hyzer to go straight unless powered down. It is very comfortable and pretty wuick, too. I like it. It's kind of what I need to help keep myself honest. Will serve well as an US mid for now!

So, I was caddying on some womens cards this weekend and there was a young woman playing in the rec division who was throwing these 250' laser beams all over the course. Obviously, I had to inquire what that red disc was that she was constantly going to for those dead straight shots. Turns out it was a Piwakawaka.

My wife has pretty decent distance but hasn't quite gotten that dead straight shot figured out yet. I might be picking up a Piwakawaka for her to try out because it looks like something she can power down on to hit that flat, straight shot but not have to sacrifice distance as the Piwakawaka seems to have a ton of glide.