• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

The Plateau

mattmunger

Seems like it is repeated frequently that most people, myself included, plateau around 350 feet for distance. While I have been slowly increasing that distance (seems like 1 foot a year), is there ever a point where you just punch through per se and suddenly you are crushing 400+ drives?
I know physical makeup has lots to do with that but I am curious on what might be possible I guess.

every healthy male has 450' potential. it may take every ounce of perfection to come together at once on a throw to hit that though.

most players make the "climb" up to about 380' from 350' over about 4 years, some of which is due to new discs unless they make a significant change.

about 20% of players just "get it" and are able to make the jump over 400' with relative ease. if you have a lot of snap, you are at an advantage. snap is where most people reach their limit.

for you, the 2 big things are probably going to be velocity and line/height...

So then what would you say would be the most important factor in generating velocity other than physical makeup?

Grip, arm speed, hip and trunk rotation, timing?

I know they all must come together as one thing, but which of these will rob the most velocity?

ah, this one slipped a bit without me answering it.

velocity = armspeed = quickness and utilizing the legs.

however, when adding D, you can't rely on just arm speed to do this if you wish to bump past the plateau.

the biggest factors that separate the 430' thrower from the 380' thrower are snap and follow through.

out of that list, timing will rob the most velocity. but arm speed will make snap more difficult to feel/utilize if you are not already getting it.

Latest posts