• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] The progression of my bag and the departure of innova

When I started my bag was all lat64. Then I found the Orc. After that I started buying whatever I thought would be good for my game insted of buying just lat64. As it turns out innova makes some discs that I mesh really well with. I'm happy I branched out a little.

all manufacturer's have good discs. It's amazing to me when i see threads like this and people talk about committing themselves to a brand. that's ridiculous, throw what works best.

After looking at your sig we have extremely similar taste in discs my friend. We apparently had our eyes opened by the same people lol.

Haha yeah man I don't doubt it. Glad it happened though... I had been throwing Innova for 10 years or so exclusively, then during my researching the Axis, I found not only DGR and DGCR but Mike C's youtube channel. It all started with a video he posted on Reddit actually. GOOD OL REDDIT.

Anyways, since then I have had more of an open mind to other manufacturers. For some reason I never trusted other manufacturers other than Innova... must have been something to do with disc availability in my region.

For some reason I never trusted other manufacturers other than Innova... must have been something to do with disc availability in my region.

This is an issue for quite a few DGers, I would suspect. If you are just getting into the sport and walk into your local big box sporting goods store, more than likely you'll find Innova.

I never would have explored other manufacturers if I hadn't gotten really into disc golf right off the bat. Now, though, I will throw whatever I can control, regardless of manufacturer. And, I like to try new stuff to see if it can replace Innova in my bag. Not because I have anything against Innova, but because trying something new can create something big.

I can understand getting rid of innova, sometimes it seems like every run they make are different than the last one. They change the xd every 6 months, OK maybe a slight overexaggeration but innova seems to have the most variation in their runs...they better keep their champ sidewinders the same!

Last edited:
I see so many discussions about why Innova is so successful/widespread, and most of them miss on a key point - The disc rating system. Innova's seemingly simple method of rating their discs makes a lot more sense to most new players and, without proper guidance otherwise, it's quite easy to assume you can fix any and all problems by getting a disc that is rated better for you. Other manufacturers use either a much more vague (and therefore more realistic) system (Discraft for example) or they simply use Innova's system (like Lat 64 does with most of their discs). Innova appeals to beginners because it is easier to understand, and once someone commits to a system, it can be difficult to switch to something else, especially if you can't tell what a particular disc is supposed to do.

I see so many discussions about why Innova is so successful/widespread, and most of them miss on a key point - The disc rating system. Innova's seemingly simple method of rating their discs makes a lot more sense to most new players and, without proper guidance otherwise, it's quite easy to assume you can fix any and all problems by getting a disc that is rated better for you. Other manufacturers use either a much more vague (and therefore more realistic) system (Discraft for example) or they simply use Innova's system (like Lat 64 does with most of their discs). Innova appeals to beginners because it is easier to understand, and once someone commits to a system, it can be difficult to switch to something else, especially if you can't tell what a particular disc is supposed to do.

Really??? The most common question I am asked by new and old players is what do these numbers mean. I didn't figure them out for a least 6 months. Plus if that was true, noobs wouldn't all get boss and grooves.

I always thought Innovas website made it pretty easy to understand what the numbers mean. Even the old site was easy to use when picking out plastic.

However it would be better if flight chart shows the disc's required cruising speed (and spin rate) to achieve the kind of flight as shown on chart.

Really??? The most common question I am asked by new and old players is what do these numbers mean. I didn't figure them out for a least 6 months. Plus if that was true, noobs wouldn't all get boss and grooves.

I'm not saying they understand what the numbers mean, but those noobs get bosses and grooves because what they think they understand indicates higher speed equals greater distance with less effort. What I'm saying is that aside from being everywhere, Innova has made itself popular with new players by overstating the importance of the numbers, and people love numbers. Think about it. Sports fans love discussing the players' and teams' statistics, gamers live by numbers on video games, CCG players are all about numbers on cards and on board games, etc. So it's not hard to envision a new player shopping and being drawn to a system with more stats to compare. As far as figuring them out, I'm surprised it took you 6 months (no offense meant). I bought a Banshee and was confused by the numbers so I went on Innova's website and read the explanation. When I was still confused about turn (not having the power to witness the phenomenon myself and having an overstable disc), I googled it and found DGCR.

I always thought Innovas website made it pretty easy to understand what the numbers mean. Even the old site was easy to use when picking out plastic.

Exactly, however, Innova's website is also set up to sell Innova Discs, so aside from a couple of highly overstable discs stating they are not recommended for beginners, the site gives the impression that you need all of their discs to cover every type of shot. Brilliant marketing but it takes away credibility when viewed by someone who knows whats up.

Every manufacturer makes good discs. A good disc is a good disc. If you don't like the disc from a certain run from a manufacturer, there are comparable discs from other manufacturers that will fill in nicely.

If you're disappointed with a new run, ask here and you'll get plenty of alternatives from the DGCR faithful. It's no biggie.

Exactly, however, Innova's website is also set up to sell Innova Discs, so aside from a couple of highly overstable discs stating they are not recommended for beginners, the site gives the impression that you need all of their discs to cover every type of shot. Brilliant marketing but it takes away credibility when viewed by someone who knows whats up.

I agree it worked like a charm with me. My bag was all Innova when I first started and that was for two reasons. First being the only place in town that had discs only carried Innova and the second online retail and forums werent around. Boy that last comment hurts a little. :|

I started out like most players I know with all Innova discs. The market in my area is all Innova. I've picked up a Discraft Z Glide and then a DGA Squall and haven't thrown a Innova mid since. I've been to broke to get any new discs lately, but when I get some new drivers they will be Lat 64 and Discraft.

Latest posts