• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

The real first course

jimbosprint

Double Eagle Member
Who knows where the "real" first disc golf course is located? Are we talking about the first course with baskets? tone poles? or targets of any kind?

I played a course called "Little Africa" last week (listed on this site as Albert Schweitzer Park). There were posters that said "Secret Disc Golf Recreation Area Since 1967". Seems to be the oldest I have heard of. The targets were a painted area about the height and size of a basket on telephone poles. The sad part is that the posters also said the park was in danger of closing due to noise and litter complaints from nearby neighbors.

This has been a debate for a long time. I say if there are no free standing targets, then there is no course. Trees with spray paint are not a course.

Last edited:
Why purposly throw your disc at a tree? Tacoed plastic is worthless. I would rather aim at a beachball hanging from a tree or someother silly target.

Why purposly throw your disc at a tree? Tacoed plastic is worthless. I would rather aim at a beachball hanging from a tree or someother silly target.

*1970's frisbee wants his tree back. 1970's frisbee says baskets are overrated.*

If you wanna play the world's first disc golf hole that had a tee and a basket, play #10 at Oak Grove.
As to what was the first course with tees and baskets, it's OG. There shouldn't even be an argument.... ;)

wasn't this the exact reason disc golf was invented?
what could be better than selling a product that the buyer
will take and then throw around into trees and
onto the ground beating it up essentially making them
"have" to buy more?

---
An excerpt from "revelation, "Frisbee Golf"by Ed Headrick

"Then an amazing revelation, all my buddies, all my staff at Wham-O, and most of my cult members and I were playing the game I was looking for. Frisbee Golf was right under my nose! Great marketing man right? A game where people would throw an expensive Frisbee into the ground every throw on purpose? Wow! What a market potential!It seems so easy, but what could possibly be better than walking through a beautiful park and throwing at trees, drinking fountains, open car windows and an occasional coed? Back to the drawing boards and 56 models later a contraption was born. Shazam! Chain! Like Moses and his cracked rules, chains without black leather and a whip. Chain, indestructible, flexible, a pleasant sound. I wish I had invented it, but chain was my answer. Hence the Mach I, II, III and twenty years of blood, sweat and tears."

snap got it right. first real course was oak grove. the first course was set up by the people from the jet propulsion lab adjacent to the present-day course.

my home course, huntington beach, was number 2.:)

Why purposly throw your disc at a tree? Tacoed plastic is worthless.

Another person that cannot appreciate the awesomeness that is a well beat disc.

You never know what all that damage will do... I had a roller turn stable on me, against all logic and reason. Now if that isn't cool, I dunno what is.

This has been a debate for a long time. I say if there are no free standing targets, then there is no course. Trees with spray paint are not a course.

I take it you're not a big fan of object golf? lol It seems to me that most things are invented in stages, with object golf being the initial version of DG. But it contained the essential idea of it, which is the main thing. Maybe there could be a distinction between the first object course and first regular course?

and where are they now?:|

temp courses dont count...i think youve been spending too much time with mongo and sloth if you think they do.

A temp course would only count if it was a seasonal course. It reappears every year for a few months, exactly as it did the year before.

I take it you're not a big fan of object golf? lol It seems to me that most things are invented in stages, with object golf being the initial version of DG. But it contained the essential idea of it, which is the main thing. Maybe there could be a distinction between the first object course and first regular course?

Actually I play target golf all of the time, but the targets are 5 gallon buckets on strings, pvs pipe, or on a tripod. It simulates the size of the basket and does not cause the damage that a tree does. I don't mind throwing at a stack of boxes, a milk crate sitting on an upsidedown trash can, but I just don't like throwing at trees with spray painted targets

Some of the first tourneys were on temp courses. Ellison started as a temp for one of the most well known tourneys in DG history

I don't think Little Africa was a temp course or seasonal course. I knew I should have taken a picture of the poster that was there.

Latest posts