• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

The recent surge of lame reviews.

Yeah I am noticing some good new ones out there as well, there just seems to be a LOT more crap in between them than before.
When a review looks like this (and I'm making this up):

PROS: Long holes, and lots of variety. Watch out for the trees!
CONS: Not DG Exclusive. The tee pads are natural.
OTHER THOUGHTS: A fun course in a public park that is close to my house and the bar. Great for beginners but challenging enough for somebody who has been playing for a while. I would bring my friends here.

I like that review.

snuck is most definitely a word. Albeit a relatively new one. it also sounds better.

If it is a word, then it's because so many people use poor grammar that it is just excepted now. It is still underlined when I typed it out. I sneaked into the ladies fitting room. I snuck into the ladies fitting room. No, sounds dumber to me.... IMO.:|

Which is correct: snuck or sneaked?

Snuck is used in American and Canadian English as the past tense and past participle of sneak, but it is considered non-standard, i.e., ol for dialectal and informal speech and writing. The standard past tense is sneaked. Snuck is relatively new, an Americanism introduced in the late 19th century. The opposite has occurred to the past form of slink. Slunk was long the standard form, but then slinked appeared and is encroaching on slunk. Slinked is considered non-standard. Style guides at some of the biggest newspapers in Canada and the United States - including the Globe and Mail (1998) and the New York Times (1999) - ban snuck. But snuck may tiptoe into more formal writing over the years.

http://dictionary.reference.com/help/faq/language/g08.html

I snuck a peek. I snuck around the corner. These seem more natural than sneaked. The better choice may just be what sounds best in the sentence. He sneaked a cookie from the jar is maybe better.

If it is a word, then it's because so many people use poor grammar that it is just excepted now. It is still underlined when I typed it out. I sneaked into the ladies fitting room. I snuck into the ladies fitting room. No, sounds dumber to me.... IMO.:|

accepted.

i lost the spelling bee in middle school 40 years ago for spelling "excepted" when they were looking for "accepted"

Amen! It's the exact same thing on Reddit with downvotes. People just use it as a "disagree" button instead of its intended purpose. It's like people aren't allowed to have differing opinions.

On Reddit. I primarily use downvotes on people whining about downvotes

I will continue to be aggressively prejudiced against any and all users of "snuck."

accepted.

i lost the spelling bee in middle school 40 years ago for spelling "excepted" when they were looking for "accepted"

Obviously, you would have bested me in a spelling, actually that was a brain spaz. I mistakenly combined expected and accepted. Words and their meanings have always changed through history. I just don't know about grammar changing. Yes Chuck, in America we have changed pronunciations of the Kings English so much that we should have our own language as far as the name..... like Americanish or something but sneaked never sounded funny until we created Snuck.

Last edited:
Eye halve a spelling chequer
It came with my pea sea
It plainly marques four my revue
Miss steaks eye kin knot sea.

Eye strike a key and type a word
And weight four it two say
Weather eye am wrong oar write
It shows me strait a weigh.

As soon as a mist ache is maid
It nose bee fore two long
And eye can put the error rite
Its rare lea ever wrong.

Eye have run this poem threw it
I am shore your pleased two no
Its letter perfect awl the weigh
My chequer tolled me sew.
:clap:

Just a note to reviewers, particularly those who are new to disc golf...

When you make disparaging claims about a course being too difficult due to the fact that you haven't learned to hit gaps and shape your shots and get around, over and under things yet, well you're not really reviewing the course as you are your lack of game. When people see 0.something years experience and a single digit number of courses bagged by your name, they're likely going to attribute your beef to pilot error and not the course, particularly if they've played that course and know better. Great way to rack up the red thumbs.

I would never want such enforced as a rule around here, but a lot of folks would be wise to get at least one year of experience and at least ten courses on their played list before they start reviewing them so they have some frame of reference of what 'great' whatever is compared to 'good', 'fair', 'poor' etc.

^ Agreed, to a point.

I think it's also important to play with players outside your skill level, both higher and lower skilled. If you're a natural, you might not get why some noobs/casual players might struggle mightily on a tough course you're able to handle. If you're newish, you can really benefit from watching how better players attack a course.

I know my review writing benefited greatly from playing with a group of guys and gals well beyond my experience and skill level...although I might not be able to hit a shot, I was able to see players that could do things I didn't even know were possible.

I think there's a certain amount of value in reviews from lower skilled/less experienced players. For a course to be truly a 5.0, it should really be accessible by players of all calibers, not just top players.

Bwahahahhaha

Oh,and...

I think there's a certain amount of value in reviews from lower skilled/less experienced players. For a course to be truly a 5.0, it should really be accessible by players of all calibers, not just top players.

TOTALLY disagree with bolded statement, but that's okay! :)

Beauty is, we all put our own $.02 in and it all comes out a wash in the end via the law of averages! :)

I will continue to be aggressively prejudiced against any and all users of "snuck."

One of our local players was an english teacher before he retired a few years ago. He is ALWAYS correcting other players during rounds when they use improper english, especially "snuck". Annoying as hell.

He was fighting the good fight. :|

Edit: FYI, I'm not going to correct people, I'm just going to assume they're ignorant and/or willfully stupid, and hold it against them forever. ;)

Heh... Juke you may know a few words but not how to say them properly... at least here you can get away with that :)