• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

The recent surge of lame reviews.

Amen! It's the exact same thing on Reddit with downvotes. People just use it as a "disagree" button instead of its intended purpose. It's like people aren't allowed to have differing opinions.

I also agree with this. Sorry, internets, but if you are over the age of 14 and don't know how to write properly (especially now since literally EVERYTHING has spellcheck) then you need to seriously re-evaluate your life. I feel that the internet age has dumbed-down language to the point that Idiocracy is soon approaching. If you are an adult and write like a child, which is VERY prevalent these days, then... yikes.

Anyway... I just wanted to admit that this thread has made me go back and edit my reviews :eek:. In retrospect, I really don't have much to say. It looks like I just list what I remember and say if it's good or bad. Eh, maybe that will change. But sorry, Simsbury, you REALLY need to thin out your rough-of-death that is nothing but thorns and hatred.

Also, incorrect grammar can happen because almost everyone does it. A current example is replacing the word sneaked with snuck, which is not really a word. I saw an episode of Elementary and Sherlock Holmes actually said snuck, while the rest of the time his grammar is usually perfect. Also almost everyone stopped putting ly at the end of adverbs, like "drive safe" instead of safely. We know what they mean, so I guess it isn't that big of a deal. Also, I noticed people think they must use the word "Well" instead of "Good" for almost every situation. On ESPN radio I heard an athlete say "We have very well fans" while he could have said great fans or dedicated fans. I guess a majority of the teams fans don't have chest colds or the like. As long as we get their meaning then it doesn't make an impact, I guess I am just nitpicking.

Last edited:
snuck is most definitely a word. Albeit a relatively new one. it also sounds better.

When reading reviews, you have to take into account that everyone has personal preferences. What you think is a great course, someone might consider mediocre. I read reviews with a grain of salt, but on here some users on here I trust more than others. I do tend to skip over reading reviews that are too short and vague.

For me personally, I write a review for every course I play. Even if I have played a course once, I still write a review about my first impressions. As I play a particular course more, I will update my review accordingly. I try to be as detailed and thorough as possible without sounding redundant. I think the longer one has played disc golf, the better understanding you have about course designs, pros, cons, etc.

I guess I defiantly get flustrated win are grammer and spelling get so confluted we misunderestimate witch words to use to.

...just being mischeevious hear, butt I seen some many of these arrows lately. :D

Eye halve a spelling chequer
It came with my pea sea
It plainly marques four my revue
Miss steaks eye kin knot sea.

Eye strike a key and type a word
And weight four it two say
Weather eye am wrong oar write
It shows me strait a weigh.

As soon as a mist ache is maid
It nose bee fore two long
And eye can put the error rite
Its rare lea ever wrong.

Eye have run this poem threw it
I am shore your pleased two no
Its letter perfect awl the weigh
My chequer tolled me sew.

Also almost everyone stopped putting ly at the end of adverbs, like "drive safe" instead of safely. We know what they mean, so I guess it isn't that big of a deal.

That also caught my attention. I even went so far as uttering a not-so-under-the-breath "ly" to my sister, a retired language arts teacher. She informed me (like only an older sister can do) that "flat averbs" are, in fact, proper grammar. Yep...flat adverbs...I guess I just learn slow...ly.

You must take into account the skill level of the reviewer, most reviews are worth a damn.

Too technical, for who?

Too many trees, for who?

No one. Those were poorly written reviews, EVEN if you are concerned with finding your way around... there are only a few holes on the new layout that are confusing. Gold never changed. Most of Renny's reviews are from travelers. Unlike many places very few players in Charlotte review courses on here. Also many of the reviews come from a time where there was NO, 0, nada, directional signage. Tee signs were totally inaccurate and mostly damaged. The course was still getting 4s and 5s. Most of the course is better than ever (signs) benches, etc...plus it has full signage for Gold, and Renske, The new pro players course changed so recently, updated signage is coming...but having 3-4 holes be different does not bring a course from 4.5 to 1. The jerks that reviewed recently...one of them reviewed both Renske AND Renny Gold/PPC in the same review. They are clearly listed as 2 separate courses on here. The whole review was junk and its a shame that Tim edits and evaluates photo's, removing ones that are just of baskets, but we cannot remove troll reviews. Almost every big DG area has had some troll go through and rate all the courses in the area 1 disc, because they played a bad tournament or they lost a disc somewhere. I wish we could get rid of those types of reviews on all courses. You need 15-20 thoughtful fair reviews to fix 1 emotional poor 1* rating. Thats not fair to the course, local community, or this site. It just drags averages all down and there is nothing anyone can do about it. I bet searching for reviews under 100 words will yield a lot of poor, not thought out, "emotional" reviews. I dont see why those are needed to clutter the site or skew ratings.

Most of the players you see at Renny are 2 disc weekend warriors so obviously it is appropriate for all skill levels.

Last edited:
You must take into account the skill level of the reviewer, most reviews are worth a damn.

Too technical, for who?

Too many trees, for who?

No one. Those were poorly written reviews, EVEN if you are concerned with finding your way around... there are only a few holes on the new layout that are confusing. Gold never changed. Most of Renny's reviews are from travelers. Unlike many places very few players in Charlotte review courses on here. Also many of the reviews come from a time where there was NO, 0, nada, directional signage. Tee signs were totally inaccurate and mostly damaged. The course was still getting 4s and 5s. Most of the course is better than ever (signs) benches, etc...plus it has full signage for Gold, and Renske, The new pro players course changed so recently, updated signage is coming...but having 3-4 holes be different does not bring a course from 4.5 to 1. The jerks that reviewed recently...one of them reviewed both Renske AND Renny Gold/PPC in the same review. They are clearly listed as 2 separate courses on here. The whole review was junk and its a shame that Tim edits and evaluates photo's, removing ones that are just of baskets, but we cannot remove troll reviews. Almost every big DG area has had some troll go through and rate all the courses in the area 1 disc, because they played a bad tournament or they lost a disc somewhere. I wish we could get rid of those types of reviews on all courses. You need 15-20 thoughtful fair reviews to fix 1 emotional poor 1* rating. Thats not fair to the course, local community, or this site. It just drags averages all down and there is nothing anyone can do about it. I bet searching for reviews under 100 words will yield a lot of poor, not thought out, "emotional" reviews. I dont see why those are needed to clutter the site or skew ratings.

Most of the players you see at Renny are 2 disc weekend warriors so obviously it is appropriate for all skill levels.

..that's exactly my point.

Re-read this. Didnt mean to call out Tim like that. Poorly written post...just think that if we are making sure we have integrity in pictures we should also have it in reviews. Especially those that are WAY above or WAY below the average. The reviewers should explain why in a detailed way they are reviewing the course this way. Not simply: "Course sucks, it was trashy, grass was tall, my disc landed in thorns."

Also many of the reviews come from a time where there was NO, 0, nada, directional signage. Tee signs were totally inaccurate and mostly damaged. The course was still getting 4s and 5s. Most of the course is better than ever (signs) benches, etc...plus it has full signage for Gold, and Renske, The new pro players course changed so recently, updated signage is coming...but having 3-4 holes be different does not bring a course from 4.5 to 1. The jerks that reviewed recently...one of them reviewed both Renske AND Renny Gold/PPC in the same review. They are clearly listed as 2 separate courses on here. The whole review was junk.

Couldn't agree anymore! Sad part is that he isn't a newbie player, this review came from a 928 rated advanced level player.

That also caught my attention. I even went so far as uttering a not-so-under-the-breath "ly" to my sister, a retired language arts teacher. She informed me (like only an older sister can do) that "flat averbs" are, in fact, proper grammar. Yep...flat adverbs...I guess I just learn slow...ly.

I don't know about that, but I just want to say that I really love your avatar.

Honestly, I keep most of my reviews on the shorter side, but I try to include a lot of information. Most of the time, I don't bother reading an insanely long review. I'd rather the review just hit the main points.

Also, it astonishes me that some people still get "too, to, and two" mixed up. When people say "The course is two open", it just bothers me :thmbdown:

Couldn't agree anymore! Sad part is that he isn't a newbie player, this review came from a 928 rated advanced level player.

Since this devolved into a grammar thread. Lol. What is preventing you from agreeing with me in the future? :p :p

Yea, what a pain.

wait.... flat adverbs? what does that even mean?

Adverbs are a big sticking point to me. I played poorly. The course was moving slowly. Ect.

Adverbs are a big sticking point to me. I played poorly. The course was moving slowly. Ect.

I have enough problems with courses that are still. I can't imagine how much of a pain a slowly moving one would be. BTW, is Ect your real name?

Not to steer away from the grammar discussion, but one thing that can bother me about reading reviews - even some that are long and are written by trusted reviewers - is that so much emphasis is placed on the amenities of the course rather than the style or atmosphere of the course. I try to give a pretty detailed picture of any unique characteristics of the course and describe what kind of holes it offers. I appreciate a listing of amenities (I list them myself) as they are important to those traveling out of town. I just think a little more emphasis can be placed on the actual style of holes and atmosphere of the course itself. If a course has a unique feel about it, I want to read about that. I think of Richmond Hill as a great example (not that I'm pointing out bad reviews for it, just talking about the course itself). Definitely a unique course in a unique setting that's worth reading about before you travel there. It's more than just a wooded course with a huge ravine in the middle of it, there's a special quality to the entire course.

On the other hand, I've been slightly disappointed while traveling to a highly-touted course in Texas that, while it had amazing amenities and upkeep, it wasn't exactly the style of golf that I love to play. Wasn't a huge deal, but it would have been nice to know more specifics about the style of golf it offered.

I get that it's a matter of opinion, a lot of people care more about amenities than anything else. I just would like to see a little more description about the style of golf a course offers, whether is rated a 4.94 or a 1.83.

Latest posts