• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] The Savant

Took the two Savants out to the field today and tested them with a 172g proto luster Savant, a seasoned 167g Champ Thunderbird, 2 170g S-PD's, a 171g Star Teebird3, and a 167g Star TL3.

Powerwise, I can put the fairways out about 400' flat and 450' if pushing their limits.
Out of the box, the Star Savants were flat to small fade. Full power flat, they were coming up about 30' shorter than the PD's and Thunderbird, 20' shorter than the TL3, and about 30' longer than the Teebird3 and Proto Savant. They feel great in the hand and were super easy to manage the angle on. They held over on flexes for a while just barely fighting out to a fade at the end.

Overall, I like the mold but not sure where it would fit in the bag. Currently bagging the PD's for stable fairways, TL3 for neutral shots and a Leopard3 for flippy/roller duties.
It's basically a slightly longer Teebird3 that still doesn't sniff Thunderbird distance.

Took the two Savants out to the field today and tested them with a 172g proto luster Savant, a seasoned 167g Champ Thunderbird, 2 170g S-PD's, a 171g Star Teebird3, and a 167g Star TL3.

Powerwise, I can put the fairways out about 400' flat and 450' if pushing their limits.
Out of the box, the Star Savants were flat to small fade. Full power flat, they were coming up about 30' shorter than the PD's and Thunderbird, 20' shorter than the TL3, and about 30' longer than the Teebird3 and Proto Savant. They feel great in the hand and were super easy to manage the angle on. They held over on flexes for a while just barely fighting out to a fade at the end.

Overall, I like the mold but not sure where it would fit in the bag. Currently bagging the PD's for stable fairways, TL3 for neutral shots and a Leopard3 for flippy/roller duties.
It's basically a slightly longer Teebird3 that still doesn't sniff Thunderbird distance.

What sort of turn were you getting out of the production Savants? By "flat to small fade" do you mean the flight pattern was just straight to fade like a fresh Thunderbird or Teebird? 30 feet shorter for a fresh disc versus a seasoned disc when throwing 400 - 450 doesn't seem unreasonable. I'd bet the Savants would have similar distance to your Thunderbird and PD's after some seasoning. The question is whether they would end up with the same flight pattern as well or if they would develop some turn or lose the fade. Thanks for the review!

What sort of turn were you getting out of the production Savants? By "flat to small fade" do you mean the flight pattern was just straight to fade like a fresh Thunderbird or Teebird? 30 feet shorter for a fresh disc versus a seasoned disc when throwing 400 - 450 doesn't seem unreasonable. I'd bet the Savants would have similar distance to your Thunderbird and PD's after some seasoning. The question is whether they would end up with the same flight pattern as well or if they would develop some turn or lose the fade. Thanks for the review!

The Savants had no turn out of the box unless put on a flex. Flat they would hold flat with no turn for roughly 95% of the flight then fade the last 5%. On the flex, it would hold the turn for about the same then settle to the ground flat. The PD's were still new and held the same line but had significantly more glide than the Savant.

My guess is as the Savants beat in, they'll pick up more glide and get to a place where they'll hyzerflip to flat but that's basically a thunderbird. A better feeling Thunderbird in the hand, but a Thunderbird. I don't imagine it'll get anywhere close to the PD as that beats in to a similar place as well.

Adding to my earlier review, we did have the wind pick up later in the round. The Savant excelled in the wind, keeping its stability even in a 15mph headwind.

I agree the Savant is shorter than a Thunderbird. For me it was MUCH shorter. Like 50'. Thunderbird just glides and penetrates much better for a speed 9 driver.

For me the Savant flew like a shorter Destroyer. Almost an identical flight path to a slightly OS Destroyer. Just about the same distance as a Thunderbird for me, maybe a little shorter. I don't see this replacing my Thunderbirds any time soon.

REVIVE

So I'm always on the search for a nice straight-ish control driver. I have heard of this one but never saw one in person. Just yesterday at the pro shop I checked it out. Felt really nice. The regular star feel was smooth on it. I contemplated getting one but I knew nothing of the reivews so asking if anyone is throwing stock SAVANTS and what are you thinking? I'm currently using a couple vultures for control drives in that speed 9-10 range. but I try a bunch of stuff, I also have some undertakers in that 9/5/-1/2 range - also Discmania CD. Innova Starfires (not as OS as # say they are more -1/2 and feel nice)

So looking to compare. I would need a disc longer than a Volt/Teebird3 but a overall very straight flight with minimal turn /fade ratio - Its a type of disc I'm always hunting for. So far all the ones I list are good so im happy but curious if the SAVANT has been working well for people or not ---- Also, I like discs that are easily replaceable - I never wanted a disc that was only a fundraiser and not easy to find, I see now they have stock runs of these so...are they easy to find? What plastics/weights do what? Is it worth to try yet another control driver? IDK it felt really nice I kinda should have bought it haha

I'd just buy a champion Thunderbird. Longer than a Savant, with better glide. I thought the Savant was clunky and short. No clue why Innova even released it. Flight numbers are very similar to the Thunderbird. Difference is, the Thunderbird is actually a good disc.

I'm looking for that buttery straight disc that still has enough stability to handle power. Ie: I've been searching for a 10/5/-1/2 disc for a LONG time - I found the Discmania CD in S line and I loved it but I guess they are OOP and hard to find. I didn't love the CD2 as it wasn't much different than Volts I throw. I've tried a lot of discs to find this flight - a control drver for decent distance that will flip flat and ride a long straight line (maybe SLIGHT turnover) then stable out. For long tunnel drives. So far the Volt does that well but not AS long as other discs. I have a Millenium Orion that's beat up and flies GREAT but I know they tweaked the mold and idk if its any different than an ORC which I tried also and nice star orcs were hard to find, the last one I got was domey as F and sharp flashing. I really like the Innova Starfire in Star Plastic. its not as OS as described in star and at 167-170g so it flies close to what I want plus I like the feel of the rim. I also use a Vulture and that's decent but the ESP feels weird in the hand to me. So I'm still on the search. from what I gather the Savant is clunky and dumpy and not quite a 9/5/-1/2..... I picked up a couple mcbeth undertakers and they are actually really nice - about the flight I want but not AS long/fast and the rim is kinda sharp in the Ti plastic.

Thanks for the heads up on this disc. I MAYYYYYY give it a try but from what I gather it was a mini-fail on the flight/control and glide.

I'm looking for that buttery straight disc that still has enough stability to handle power. Ie: I've been searching for a 10/5/-1/2 disc for a LONG time - I found the Discmania CD in S line and I loved it but I guess they are OOP and hard to find. I didn't love the CD2 as it wasn't much different than Volts I throw. I've tried a lot of discs to find this flight - a control drver for decent distance that will flip flat and ride a long straight line (maybe SLIGHT turnover) then stable out. For long tunnel drives. So far the Volt does that well but not AS long as other discs. I have a Millenium Orion that's beat up and flies GREAT but I know they tweaked the mold and idk if its any different than an ORC which I tried also and nice star orcs were hard to find, the last one I got was domey as F and sharp flashing. I really like the Innova Starfire in Star Plastic. its not as OS as described in star and at 167-170g so it flies close to what I want plus I like the feel of the rim. I also use a Vulture and that's decent but the ESP feels weird in the hand to me. So I'm still on the search. from what I gather the Savant is clunky and dumpy and not quite a 9/5/-1/2..... I picked up a couple mcbeth undertakers and they are actually really nice - about the flight I want but not AS long/fast and the rim is kinda sharp in the Ti plastic.

Thanks for the heads up on this disc. I MAYYYYYY give it a try but from what I gather it was a mini-fail on the flight/control and glide.

Have you ever tried a Mint Alpha? It feels similar to the Savant but longer and more workable. The Alpha is marketed as a fairway but actually has a thicker rim than the Savant (2.0 and 1.9).

Have you ever tried a Mint Alpha? It feels similar to the Savant but longer and more workable. The Alpha is marketed as a fairway but actually has a thicker rim than the Savant (2.0 and 1.9).

I haven't but I'm an MVP fan and the alpha is using MVP plastics - I heard they vary a LOT by run. I'll look into it, definitely a disc I've been wanting to try. I heard it was really Teebird3 ish, and the Volts I have and thunderbird kinda overlap that already. But, ehhh ill give it a shot many people have recommended it.

It almost sounds like you need an Orc or a PD. Both of those are speed 10 and have a pretty neutral flight.

The Savant is clunky. I thought it flew way worse than a Thunderbird. It had a harder late fade. I thought the Savant was more like 9, 4, 0, 3. Not quite as hooky as a Firebird, but the same general flight.

It almost sounds like you need an Orc or a PD. Both of those are speed 10 and have a pretty neutral flight.

The Savant is clunky. I thought it flew way worse than a Thunderbird. It had a harder late fade. I thought the Savant was more like 9, 4, 0, 3. Not quite as hooky as a Firebird, but the same general flight.

thanks yeah I think ill pass on it. It felt great in the hand but I didn't want to bust out $18 for it right there - wanted to research. yeah I used Cd's and TD's and really like them, I want a beat S-PD like, right away - im also looking at the millennium Orion, I have an old one that is beat but flies EXACTLY like I want - I had the best shot ever on a hole this past weekend with it, its my water disc but its a great one. So I may try to find a nice S-PD in like 170 and just work it. same with a Millenium S-Orion LF and get one like 168-170 and beat it up. I think that's what I need and just cycle them, I just prefer to be able to but a new disc to have the flight I want instead of having to let it wear in first. oh well. some day they'll put out that true 10/5/-1/2 disc that I need

Mine Isn't that stable, but it is kind of clunky. it doesn't seem to have much glide though.
Mine flies like a shorter Pro Starfire/(SL).

Not sure what I'm going to do with it.

The Starfire-L (SL) is 10, 5, -1, 2 and is an awesome disc. :thmbup: :popcorn:

I Agree, I wish they still made it. I actually have one but its signed by Barry Schultz. So I don't throw it.....though I did a couple rounds haha. I'm carrying a couple Star Starfires right now. They work in pretty quick. But yeah I think this is one disc type most companies are missing I think mainly because most players will use a slightly more OS disc that beats into that sweet spot, they do it with PD's, Thunderbirds, etc. But alas it IS the Archer not the arrow ---usually, but I sure could use a nice arrow.

I Agree, I wish they still made it. I actually have one but its signed by Barry Schultz. So I don't throw it.....though I did a couple rounds haha. I'm carrying a couple Star Starfires right now. They work in pretty quick. But yeah I think this is one disc type most companies are missing I think mainly because most players will use a slightly more OS disc that beats into that sweet spot, they do it with PD's, Thunderbirds, etc. But alas it IS the Archer not the arrow ---usually, but I sure could use a nice arrow.

They do still make them: Pro Starfires are SLs, unless they made a change very recently. You might still find Star SLs, particularly the Valarie Jenkings Commemorative ones that were made after Val won her fourth World title, and there are a bunch of F2 SLs in Pro and Star out there (I know, because I have a few of them :) ).

They do still make them: Pro Starfires are SLs, unless they made a change very recently. You might still find Star SLs, particularly the Valarie Jenkings Commemorative ones that were made after Val won her fourth World title, and there are a bunch of F2 SLs in Pro and Star out there (I know, because I have a few of them :) ).

I want a disc that is regularly made and easy to find/replace. I would totally use PD's but I want S-line in white and I swear they never have those. I went the route of getting a 'special' disc and when I want to get some its a pain. So I decided to hold out for a disc that is easy to find in premium white plastic or premium blue plastic. Blue being easier than most to find. the Streamline Trace is actually really nice but its almost TOO fast (more 11 speed) for what I want it for. I loved Valkyries for the longest time, still do. I have a few I pop in the bag from time to time. Champ Glow Valks are nice.

I want a disc that is regularly made and easy to find/replace. I would totally use PD's but I want S-line in white and I swear they never have those. I went the route of getting a 'special' disc and when I want to get some its a pain. So I decided to hold out for a disc that is easy to find in premium white plastic or premium blue plastic. Blue being easier than most to find. the Streamline Trace is actually really nice but its almost TOO fast (more 11 speed) for what I want it for. I loved Valkyries for the longest time, still do. I have a few I pop in the bag from time to time. Champ Glow Valks are nice.

I definitely understand wanting production discs. I stocked up on SLs and F2 SLs after Val's Worlds win because I knew I would likely not have another chance to do so. I also stocked up on Green Hornets when Discraft took the Hornet OOP. It is a pain having to deal with a disc one loves going OOP.

As to color: I understand wanting white and blue, especially light blue, as they are easier to find. I would add light, bright, not-too-red, not-too-purple Pink to those that are easy to find, as well, and I try to get pink or light blue whenever I can. But if yellow or orange are all they have in the mold and weight I want, I'll go ahead and get the disc.

What I will NOT buy are discs the color of Georgia pine straw, and those blah swirly colors that resemble earth tones and dog vomit. Ti Buzzzes used to be very bad about being hard-to-find colors (except blue); they're a llittle better now.

I definitely understand wanting production discs. I stocked up on SLs and F2 SLs after Val's Worlds win because I knew I would likely not have another chance to do so. I also stocked up on Green Hornets when Discraft took the Hornet OOP. It is a pain having to deal with a disc one loves going OOP.

As to color: I understand wanting white and blue, especially light blue, as they are easier to find. I would add light, bright, not-too-red, not-too-purple Pink to those that are easy to find, as well, and I try to get pink or light blue whenever I can. But if yellow or orange are all they have in the mold and weight I want, I'll go ahead and get the disc.

What I will NOT buy are discs the color of Georgia pine straw, and those blah swirly colors that resemble earth tones and dog vomit. Ti Buzzzes used to be very bad about being hard-to-find colors (except blue); they're a llittle better now.

haha all the swirly ESP and Swirly Star discs (more-so the Discmania and Innova ones) come out looking like mud and would be terrible to find in those conditions. I am a bit OCD and for the summer, all my discs are white - my putters/approach discs are black (or gray) and that's just how I roll, SO easy for me to always know im looking for a white one. Also it makes the bag look clean without that one random mis-colored disc in there. In the winter I use All blue with the same black/gray putters. I'm liking it so I'll stick with it. I'm looking into the Millenium Orion as its a lot like an Orc and that was always a good disc.