• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Gateway] the Shaman

I'm loving my Chief. To me, it's the perfect disc for forehand 'flick' putts and fast, short approach shots. The lower profile of the disc is what's doing it for me in this use, as I've always found it a bit sloppy to flick a putter because of the tall rim. It's just fantastic.

I threw th chielf and shaman today. Really low profile. They both feel very similar to the pa2 in hand...but better. Best throwing putters so far and you get the awesome stiff grippy gateway goodness. And yes I was also getting these passed 300

I was under the impression th chief was a new disc though, I guess it's really old.

Hmm... My guess is that there's no reason for me to pick up a Chief since I drive with an Envy, but the Shaman might be useful as a driving putter with more turn.

So..... any new info on the Shaman?
I just realized it will be available in a players pack in one of my wifes' all female tourneys.
We use magics and you can't have too many of those around.
So this might be a tough choice.

My buddy had a couple yesterday & they seem like..........................a smashed Magic! I didn't have a Spike with me to compare but that's what it reminded me of. As a putter it's definitely fast. I've putted with Magics for a couple years & these things are quick. Putting both the same (as best I could putt the same twice in a row) the Shaman got to the basket quicker & definitely felt "faster" out of the hand. Basically seemed to cover the same amount of ground quicker than the Magic.

As a thrower it flew like a fast Magic, really reminded me of a seasoned Spike. On a full rip it started straight & then had a slow turn all the way to the ground. I could get an easier release than I could from a regular putter because of how much slimmer it was.

I really like low profile putters so I'm definitely going to pick up a few. If you're a fan of the deeper putters then you probably won't be a fan of these. If you're a Spike fan, which I am, I'd pick up a few & give them a shot

He also had a Chief. I've never been a huge Wizard fan but these were nice. It seemed, from limited throws, to be what I always wanted Latitude to make- A very stable Spike

I love Soft Magics for putting, hyzer flips, short ups, and downhill shots that don't fade hard. I tried the Chief and it's almost too shallow for me. I used it for some forehand ups with good results but not much else. They seem to warp really easily and it's hard to keep a putter just for forehand in the bag (plus if I kept a disc for that shot I'd chose an Envy). I've picked up a Shaman many times and would like to try one but I fear it's just going to sit in my trunk for the remainder of it's life. I'm taking the "if it ain't broke" approach to this disc. Magics have been doing me right for years. I'm already considering ditching the Wizard for the P2 and having an all bead-less putter setup.

I wouldn't buy/not buy a Shaman because of my feelings about Magics (Magics are my main putters also). The flights for me were similar & I know these are squished Magics but that's where the similarities ended for me.

The Shaman is a COMPLETELY different feel. If you like/dislike how Magics feel you may be 100% opposite on these. And these are definitely faster which for me made it seem like a completely different disc even more.

As I said earlier, to me, IMHO, these compare MUCH better to a Spike than a Magic. Maybe not the profile but the flight & feel in the hand yes

**DISCLAIMER**
Just my opinion, your results & mileage may differ

I've been tossing the Shaman around in the yard a bit. I'm not falling in love too quickly. It's shallow and flat, flies understable out of the hand but has a surprising fade at the end. The SSS plastic feels nice, though.

They don't get used a whole lot on my home course but i threw my shaman a lot this weekend at the tournament. Very long putter great for right turning holes.

i got one in a players pack, it's flippy. could be useful, ive never really carried a disc like this.

Latest posts