• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Discraft] The Sol

I am really liking the Sol. I have tried a number of discs for something that will hold a slower turnover without wanting to fade out of it. Some were too much turn (Stratus), some would turn and fade back too much (Relay). The Sol seems just right as long as I don't try to overpower it or throw it too high. Nice smooth turn then flat at the end 180 to 250 feet. Maybe once my forehand gets better I won't need it, but for now I will stick with it.

Still rocking my Z Sol heavily on wooded courses. It's a consistent straight to gentle turn after 200 feet, and finishes around 250-280 feet. It's the perfect slot between my Star Mirage (straight to turn after 100 feet), and Opto X Fuse (straight to slight right drift after 230 feet.) I found so many shots where it was the first thing I grabbed out of my bag when playing Roy G today.

The best thing about the Sol is that it's consistent. Its slower speed means that when it turns, it turns softly, and you guaranteed won't get any fade. Understable fairways you always have to worry about the potential of the disc flattening out and fading back late, and the same to be true for neutral mids like the Mako, Buzzz etc (unless thrown with anhyzer, but then they can turn too rapidly.)

I actually just de-bagged my sol. It's funny, the sol is the disc that really taught me the most about my game and it's the first disc that I bought a stack of to practice with, and I just never thought I'd take it out of my bag, but I did. Where I had such great success with the sol before, I just didn't need it anymore. It became an outlier in my bag; a disc that was taken out for specialty shots only: the low tunnel relatively short range hyzerflip flick or a slightly longer one to turnover.
I can bend a buzzz on an anny flick further on the arc than I can my sol. And it ends cleaner, whereas the sol will roll.
And there it is.
The buzzz- the fabled buzzz- has that rep for a reason. It does almost anything you need it to. In every shot where I'd use a sol, I can use a buzzz and get more consistent results. The effortless flick hyzerflip is the only shot I can't pull off with the buzzz, but with a little effort, I can get the ground hugging straight flick without the flip with my zflx buzzz that would cover the same distance as the sol. Short range backhand turnover? I can use my jawbreaker ringer GT to ride an anny line.

I hated doing it. Maybe I'll put it up on the wall to enshrine it in my personal disc HoF haha

This same thing (well, the backhand version anyhow) has happened to me with the Buzzz, a year-old ESP that is really broken in. I find that the Sol is kinda obsolete for me. Especially the beefier PP run. I tried a Tursas as well, and while it's a cool disc, it's too touchy for me and again the Buzzz takes care of this slot.

Sol is reaaaaaally close to being that "speed 4, not touchy, reliably understable for finesse shots in the woods that end to the right, even with a little nose up or height"

If they put it out in like, X or ESP, I might be into it. It's little too stable for me unfortunately, to where I would rather just throw a flippy mid.

Revisited this disc for a couple of rounds this weekend.

It is still too touchy for me to use in the open, I was able to use a big anny angle and throw some flexy floaty 50-100 foot approaches around trees and have a chance to touch metal, whereas I would normally just slide something faster within 15 feet.

Probably worth a spot in my bag for that alone.

Sol is reaaaaaally close to being that "speed 4, not touchy, reliably understable for finesse shots in the woods that end to the right, even with a little nose up or height"

If they put it out in like, X or ESP, I might be into it. It's little too stable for me unfortunately, to where I would rather just throw a flippy mid.

You might be able to find an Ace Race version out there which is the only version I use(d). That said, even though I find the AR sol to be super easy to flip, getting it to ride a slow right turn proves way trickier than I had hoped. It's great for a medium power turnover or hyzerflip to turnover, but at low speeds, my lack of finesse is amplified by this disc's tendencies. At low speeds, it floats straight and even fades. With a touch of anny, it will hold the line fairly well. With anything more than a touch, it collapses and rolls. I find something like a roach or a mako3 on anny to be way more predictable than the sol in this capacity. But to your point, if you like the sol but don't like it in z, see if you can get an ace race version. I'm sure there's a lot still out there.

I'm intrigued by that mirage you mentioned in another post. I just didn't want to get a brand new mold haha. But now I really want to try it, and until I started throwing my mako3 again, I forgot how much I really like star plastic.

Revisited this disc for a couple of rounds this weekend.

It is still too touchy for me to use in the open, I was able to use a big anny angle and throw some flexy floaty 50-100 foot approaches around trees and have a chance to touch metal, whereas I would normally just slide something faster within 15 feet.

Probably worth a spot in my bag for that alone.

I put this back in my bag and have had some success with it playing conservative on some wooded holes. I think this is more valuable to me than a 2nd understable fairway because I can do some different things with it closer to the basket.

I'm back to liking it. I just have to remember to never use it on super open holes.

I'm back on the Sol Train.
After loving this disc so much since the Ace Race, I was shocked at my decision to de-bag it last summer. But over the winter several things seem to happen to me: I stiffen up (partly because I'm wearing a lot more), I have worse grip, and my form generally craps out. And in these moments, I revisit old friends like the sol and wonder why I ever gave up on it. I forgot just how effortless it is to flick. It's so easy to throw and control as long as you aren't trying to overpower it. Glad I didn't do something dumb like give them all away haha.

Welp... Tried one of these for the first time yesterday. I was looking for a disc that is faster than a putter but slower than a Buzzz, and also will turn at slower speeds.
Plus, feels comfortable in the hand.

Iam not surprised by many discs. I have been in the frisbee game a long long time. The Sol is a disc you throw and it does the work for you.

I'm not SOLd on the SOL yet. I'm gonna bag it a while and see what happens but I'm pretty excited about the possible lines it opens up for me

I'm back on the Sol Train.
After loving this disc so much since the Ace Race, I was shocked at my decision to de-bag it last summer. But over the winter several things seem to happen to me: I stiffen up (partly because I'm wearing a lot more), I have worse grip, and my form generally craps out. And in these moments, I revisit old friends like the sol and wonder why I ever gave up on it. I forgot just how effortless it is to flick. It's so easy to throw and control as long as you aren't trying to overpower it. Glad I didn't do something dumb like give them all away haha.

I've had mine in and out of the bag also. My only issue is that it encroaches up on my midranges too much. It could be a little flippier as well for what I want. More of a 250-260 turnover disc, where this disc is more of a 290 slightly drift right. It's a great disc I just don't know if I have a spot for it.

Mine might be my absolutely favorite disc to throw for the sake of throwing. ...but it is too sensitive to angle and too sensitive to wind for me to really bag.

It would be my go to disc if I ever needed a putter/mid-range thrown to a general distance without regard to finish, but that shot is pretty much non-existent.

Like others are saying I'm on the fence about bagging the Sol. I think I just need to spend more time with it. I find myself overpowering it but if I threw it more I think I could dial it in. An esp Sol would be special.

Like others are saying I'm on the fence about bagging the Sol. I think I just need to spend more time with it. I find myself overpowering it but if I threw it more I think I could dial it in. An esp Sol would be special.
I have an ESP Ace Race and a Z Sol in the bag; the Z gets all the throws. It's weird, but to me the Z is more predictable (stable) and longer (more glide). Usually if something is flipper it will also have more glide, but for me the Ace Race Sol is flipper with less glide than the Z Sol. I don't know why and it might just be me, but the Z Sol is the special one IMO.

I have an ESP Ace Race and a Z Sol in the bag; the Z gets all the throws. It's weird, but to me the Z is more predictable (stable) and longer (more glide). Usually if something is flipper it will also have more glide, but for me the Ace Race Sol is flipper with less glide than the Z Sol. I don't know why and it might just be me, but the Z Sol is the special one IMO.

Yes. I will only bag this disc in Z plastic. It already has major turn. If it beats in quickly, it will become useless quickly.

I wouldnt mind having this in the swirl Z tour series plastic. Curious how that would fly. If it adds a tic more stability...it would be a major win

Is infinite wrong about the rim width? It shows 1.8 CM but that's like driver width.

Is infinite wrong about the rim width? It shows 1.8 CM but that's like driver width.

I got 1.16 with the Z-SOL.

Star Mirage 1.0

RPM Tui Base Hard 1.0

So I guess I can see why the SOL is a little faster and longer then those. The SOL is more midrange then the other two competitors which are truer putter width.

Latest posts