• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

the south will rise

Both the Hopi and Navajo use it as a symbol of well wishing.

FWIW Last week I took a pic of a swastika that was made on a canyon wall in the 1500s. Last year I purchased a Navajo storm pattern rug that IIRC has two swastikas on it. And lastly, in Mountainair NM there is an old hotel that has two swastikas on the front of the building.

As with the Stars and Bars, it's all a matter of perspective.

As for the War of Northern Agression, it's a matter fact coupled with perspective. It wasn't about slavery. Read some real history if you want to know why the South seceded. My perspective is they were right in doing so.

Hey if the south wants to succeed, I say by all means we should let them

If ya'll solve this, let me know.

I'm in Columbia, SC ("Confederate flag on the State House grounds"), and this argument's being going on non-stop for at least as long as my ears have been working.

Let's see: In 1860 we saw no protection for Southern products, the Federal government imposing its will upon the states and citizens, and slavery.

In 2009 we have NAFTA and the Chinese dominating our entire economy, the Feds are still imposing their will upon the states and citizens, and economic slavery of the poor and shrinking middle class.

We've come a long way, baby!! :>)

In 2009 we have NAFTA and the Chinese dominating our entire economy, the Feds are still imposing their will upon the states and citizens, and economic slavery of the poor and shrinking middle class.

Couldn't have said that better myself.

Just out of curiosity do southerners refer to the civil war as the war of northern aggression?

As a generalization....generalizations don't apply. Southerners are varied, just as anyone else.

"The Recent Unpleasantness" is my favorite.

"The War of Northern Aggression" is always nice when talking to Yankees.

Some may be surprised to know that many of us don't refer to the Civil War much at all, by any name.

I didn't quote you... Please read my posts at least twice so I don't have to go back and re-say what I've already said because you hurriedly read through and take offense to everything.

I take offense to nothing.

The only person i see here tying out long responses is you.

leave it at the flag means nothing

i just hate to see people like you that further the notion that the flag = racist.

Last edited:
If ya'll solve this, let me know.

It won't be solved here, and probably never will be. People are taught different things in different areas of the world. Northern cities teach the civil war differently than the southern cities. The world wars are taught differently in the US than in Mexico, or any European country. The WaffenSS was even blamed with war crimes by the UN, and is often blamed for the holocaust when in fact they had nothing to do with the deaths of all the Jews and others that were killed in genocide. Areas of the world have their views, they teach them differently to their children. It's very hard to break years and generations of teachings...

Somewhere, William Tecumseh Sherman just threw that disc into a tree at 100% power. Nice dye job, though.

Let's see: In 1860 we saw no protection for Southern products, the Federal government imposing its will upon the states and citizens, and slavery.

well put

the perfect picture for words.

20000119edhan-a.gif

haha, if I had had this picture it would've saved at least a sentence of descriptive writing. I also agree that the Civil War was not about rascism or slavery. It was about standing ground against a government that wasn't and still isn't 'by the people and for the people". There will always be too many people with too many opinions for this government to work. More like, for the people as dictated by the government.

Northern cities teach the civil war differently than the southern cities

I think I have a very open mind, so this isnt the REASON I say the flag represents slavery & racism. But I specifically remember my 8th grade U.S. History teacher calling the civil War, "The war on slavery"

Last edited:
I think I have a very open mind, so this isnt the REASON I say the flag represents slavery & racism. But I specifically remember my 8th grade U.S. History teacher calling the civil War, "The war on slavery"

A flag is a symbol. Do symbols represent

* What they originally meant?
* What the person using them intends?
* What the viewer infers?
* What the public consensus has become?

I think there's a distinction between the Confederacy and the "confederate flag"; the flag has taken on all kinds of meanings since its use, mainly as a battle flag for part of the Confederate army, over 150 years ago.

Just out of curiosity do southerners refer to the civil war as the war of northern aggression?

I was just teasing a little.

Just as a side note, I work for a company that is dominated by people from the south. (TX, LA, AR.) I live and work in Missouri. It tickles me how often I get kidded about being a Yankee. (MO. was part of the Confederacy.)

Yankee is pretty loosely used. Pretty much anyone above Kansas City would be considered "Yankees". However, in my mind, it's a derrogatory term and can be offensive. Unless you're talking baseball, in which case it's even more offensive. lol

Latest posts