• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

The Technique Chat Thread

ive been told that more snap makes discs more high speed stable but less low speed stable, which makes sense bucuase the little bit of turn im getting is at the very end of the flight. and im releasing them relatively flat, 5-10 degrees of hyzer at the most.

I am not a master of physics by any means but that doesn't seen 100% right to me. I am not saying you are wrong because I really don't know the answer.

I know for me the more spin/snap the more turn.

its a 167 x comet and i can get out to about 260-270ish
That sounds to me like how a Comet should act. It's not acting understable at that distance because you're throwing it relatively clean. It's a good thing.

As for how to throw it farther, follow the advice from the technique sticky. Or you can post a video and get the same response that almost everyone else that posts one gets. ;) Chances are you have the exact same problems.

ive been told that more snap makes discs more high speed stable but less low speed stable, which makes sense bucuase the little bit of turn im getting is at the very end of the flight. and im releasing them relatively flat, 5-10 degrees of hyzer at the most.

Thats how a comet should fly. They're really not understable. I have a 170ish ESP and when I'm throwing good it doesn't turn or fade at all. It'll definitely hold an anhyzer though.

I'm recently adding fh back into my game after more than a decade of strictly bh so I have a couple questions.

First, how much power (percentage) is generated from the legs and core muscles?
I'm up to the point where I can get a pretty clean 150'-175' fh with my soft anode, nice and flat and generally on target. That's mostly arm with a little assistance from the core muscles, feet planted throughout.

Second, what sort of distance potential is there in a fh? I realize there's too many variables in this to give a definitive answer, but a rough idea is all I'm looking for. Oh and I should add that I'm looking for golf lines distance not some huge flex shot that requires a 300' wide fairway.

I can get my Z Surge consistently to 350 ft. That's a straight, controlled line with a nice fade at the end. If you see someone doing a big, flex shot for 300 ft, there's something wrong.

I'm not sure how much I use my legs (besides a little skip into at as my routine). But, I do use my core muscle as I rotate my body into the shot. It puts less stress on my arm and I don't get the elbow pain that's commonly associated with sidearm.

Thats how a comet should fly. They're really not understable. I have a 170ish ESP and when I'm throwing good it doesn't turn or fade at all. It'll definitely hold an anhyzer though.

Agreed... maybe beat up X comets can be hyzer flipped thrown cleanly, but Z and ESPs will hold whatever angle you put on them if done right.

My suggestion to learn hyzerflips would be throwing light DX stingrays or light DX leopards.

I'm recently adding fh back into my game after more than a decade of strictly bh so I have a couple questions.

First, how much power (percentage) is generated from the legs and core muscles?
I'm up to the point where I can get a pretty clean 150'-175' fh with my soft anode, nice and flat and generally on target. That's mostly arm with a little assistance from the core muscles, feet planted throughout.

Second, what sort of distance potential is there in a fh? I realize there's too many variables in this to give a definitive answer, but a rough idea is all I'm looking for. Oh and I should add that I'm looking for golf lines distance not some huge flex shot that requires a 300' wide fairway.
1. Power from legs and core... more and more the further I throw. My abs get sore. My arm only gets sore from shorter throws.

2. Average male 350' on golf lines, most top guys around 450'. FH can typically go further on lower lines.

so what do you guys think about a 3 finger grip vs a traditional power grip? i went 3 finger grip for drives for about 7 holes today and realized the disc came out cleaner and more accurate. i also got some added distance too. are there any drawbacks to this grip? who else here uses it?

Edit: this is all RHBH by the way.

^^ drawbacks could be loss of accuracy, but if works for you, keep tryin it out and see if it works well with you. if you wanna switch to 3 finger grip, i would use it in all your practice rounds so u get into the habit of doin it. when i switched to fan grip on putters, it took me a while to do the grip without thinking about it before i threw.and sometimes i would do 4 finger power grip on mistake

Closed shoulder snap drill, does it matter what type of discs I'm using?
I'm assuming because I'm just working on the arm/wrist motions it doesn't but figured I'd ask.

For the closed shoulder drill I would recommend putters or mids. Anything faster than that you will have a hard time getting up to speed. The only benefit I could think of would be throwing overstable drivers and trying to make sure you're getting the nose down (not seeing the flight plate during the flight).

For the closed shoulder drill I would recommend putters or mids. Anything faster than that you will have a hard time getting up to speed. The only benefit I could think of would be throwing overstable drivers and trying to make sure you're getting the nose down (not seeing the flight plate during the flight).

Cool, I've been using putters because I have more of the same mold than any other discs :)

I'm sorry, but this is completely wrong.

Eh, snap generates speed/lift/turn and spin/stability, and good wrist extension/disc ejection/disc pivot/whatever you want to call it also forces the nose angle down. All those things are tied together for backhand throwers. Forehand is probably similar in some respects, but I'm not as clear on good grip/wrist mechanics for sidearm. It's not completely wrong.

Eh, snap generates speed/lift/turn and spin/stability, and good wrist extension/disc ejection/disc pivot/whatever you want to call it also forces the nose angle down. All those things are tied together for backhand throwers. Forehand is probably similar in some respects, but I'm not as clear on good grip/wrist mechanics for sidearm. It's not completely wrong.

Thanks... I didn't think I was 100% wrong. lol

It seems the more spin I get on the disc the better nose angle it will hold. I still have to throw it nose down to start with but more spin seems to help keep it down on higher flight lines.

I am not a physicist by any means that is just what I have noticed.

Thanks... I didn't think I was 100% wrong. lol

It seems the more spin I get on the disc the better nose angle it will hold. I still have to throw it nose down to start with but more spin seems to help keep it down on higher flight lines.

I am not a physicist by any means that is just what I have noticed.

This part makes it right. The way you phrased it the first time was almost to say with good spin/snap the disc will just fly nose down, which is untrue. The throw mechanics still play into it regardless of how fast the disc is spinning.

The correlation also could work the other way though, by having good mechanics to achieve a solid nose down throw, you also have good enough mechanics to provide more spin/snap. I'm not sure there's been any/enough actual research to say which one causes the other.

Is there a "nose down " drill? Or perhaps some kind of routine or habit that those of you that "have it" do to maintain nose down?

This part makes it right. The way you phrased it the first time was almost to say with good spin/snap the disc will just fly nose down, which is untrue. The throw mechanics still play into it regardless of how fast the disc is spinning.

The correlation also could work the other way though, by having good mechanics to achieve a solid nose down throw, you also have good enough mechanics to provide more spin/snap. I'm not sure there's been any/enough actual research to say which one causes the other.
He said it will hold nose down which would mean it was nose down. The more the disc pivots around the finger/thumb pinch, the more the nose of the disc comes around down, so in essence more disc pivot(snap) means more nose down at least relative to less disc pivot anyways. More spin is typically a byproduct of the disc pivot, and more spin holds the angle of attack longer.

Is there a "nose down " drill? Or perhaps some kind of routine or habit that those of you that "have it" do to maintain nose down?
There is a drill using overstable discs and skipping them, but I never did them. The biggest things to nose down is a good disc pivot(snap) with a good pinch between the thumb and index finger, keeping the disc parallel to the forearm or wing below the forearm with planes aligned, and getting your weight forward balanced on the front foot.

Latest posts