• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

The Three Disc Challenge

Driver: Star TL 169gr
Upshot disc: Champ Leopard 160gr
Putt: Pro D Magnet 169gr (Soft Magnet in winter)

Sidenote: Ive really enjoyed seeing each players post. I think players with similar throwing styles and approach to the game have some of the very similar choices.

175 FLX challenger decent approach disc and putter would take place of a buzzz allowing 2 drivers
168 Champ Orc great forehand disc
171 Star Roadrunner backhand control drives

Driver: Beat-up DX Eagle
Midrange: Z Breeze
Midrange/Putter: DX Birdie

It's a tough call, since I'm one of those over-dependent 16-disc guys. I can't live without all of 'em!

i just looked at my answer from 2 months ago on this thread and my opinion has completely changed... interesting. I first said, XL, Optimizer, Soft Magnet. One would stay the soft magnet, still a great putter but I would bring a 150gram beast and a classic roc.

1) 1st Run 175g SOLS - most versatile distance driver I've ever used. The 1st runs are the most stable run, so it's good for everything except a strong headwind. Currently use this disc for a lot of long, straight drives, anhyzers, and rollers. Can easily be "dialed down" for shorter skip shots too. Star Orc is my go-to distance driver, but if I could only pick one it'd be this one.

2) 176g Ching Roc - I've got 4-5 of these in the bag at any given time. I'd probably go with a lightly used one if I could only have one mid-range disc. After a month or two of use, the Ching (aka-"Flat top") Roc loses a bit of it's high-speed stability and can hit all kinds of lines.

3) 175g 11x KC Pro Aviar - My go-to putter and approach disc. I use it almost exclusively on shots within 200' and it's good on all lines. I've got several that have been in and out of my bag over the past 2 years, and after a while the flight plate starts to droop a little giving it what is almost like a thumb-track (like on the Banger GT)...excellent-feeling plastic too.

If I want to play with a small set, I just bring my Star Eagle-X and my E-Series Wizard and it works out great. But if I have to add one more, I'll bring my DX Roc along too.

I usually carry 3 discs on my home course anyway... they are:

Soft Magnet -- sticks landings, drops dead when it hits trees instead of ricocheting 40 yards into deep woods.

Star Shark -- control and accuracy. Can step in as a putter in brisk headwinds. Can be thrown off the tee for a soft fade.

Pro Leopard -- Drives, annies, and emergency recovery from when trees jump in front of my drive.

No question for me my driver would be a 167g Champion Beast. My putter would be a 171g Elite X Soft APX. Probably would go with my 175g Champion Coyote over my Star Skeeter or DX Roc.

depends on the course, but if I had to pick three discs for ANY course, it would be:

167g Star Destroyer (pretty fresh)
175g Star Firebird (slightly beat)
175g medium-stiff Wizard (well worn)

However, if I had to go with two discs, I'd trade out the Destroyer/Firebird for a lightly used 170s Champion Teebird, and keep the Wizard in there.

For me, with the three disc thing, I throw both FH and BH pretty equally (slight preference to FH), so I don't need something neutral any farther out than a Wizard (which will go great up to ~250', or up to 350' with some downhill elevation). the firebird is perfect for skip shots, hammers, FH rollers, hyzers, etc... The destroyer is worth having just for the advantage you can get on a lot of holes with a max-D shot, and is great for big, sweeping anhyzers as well as big-sweeping hyzers.

I'm thinking back on recent tournaments, and these were the three discs I used most often. Destroyer left my hand on long teeboxes; Firebird on shorter tees or roller shots, and most of my upshots were with firebirds or wizards.

Latest posts