• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] The Viper!!!

waynewf

Double Eagle Member
So after reading a bunch of posts on here, and getting on a bit of an old school disc kick, I decided to buy a Viper...man that disc is awesome!!!! It's the perfect disc I've been looking for on those shots where you need a big hyzer and/or roll. I played with it for the first time last night and it really saved my *ss a couple of times when I got myself in trouble.

My only disappointment is that it's in DX plastic....any recommendations on a similar disc in a higher quality plastic? (Champ/Z are my favorite types...)

So after reading a bunch of posts on here, and getting on a bit of an old school disc kick, I decided to buy a Viper...man that disc is awesome!!!! It's the perfect disc I've been looking for on those shots where you need a big hyzer and/or roll. I played with it for the first time last night and it really saved my *ss a couple of times when I got myself in trouble.

My only disappointment is that it's in DX plastic....any recommendations on a similar disc in a higher quality plastic? (Champ/Z are my favorite types...)

You can find some CFR (champion) Vipers around if you look... I am sure someone on here has one too sell.

I will be watching this thread. I have tried the star whippet, but I can't throw it as far as the viper. I have also tried severel different types of plastic Drones. The Drones the flight seemed much more predictable and consistant, but also couldn't get the distance i can out of the viper. Two people told me to try the Gator, but I haven't yet.

i've got some cfr vipers for sale- they are all heavy, i'd have to check on the colors, most overstable disc i've ever thrown. pm for info.

biscoe - I pm'd you.
McMarkD - I have a Gator as well...I got a CFR edition...and it's a sweet disc, no doubt. There's just something about the wide rimmed feel of the Viper. I have this old Moray that I like as well with the same type of wide rim. I also just picked up a Cobra, but haven't thrown it yet.
I've never thrown a Drone, so I can't make a comparrison.
Note that the main shot I've been throwing this for is for short to mid shots where I need a lot of backhand hyzer....it's weird because I'm a forehand driver and didn't forehand this disc yet...

I really like my champ banshee for shots where I want a really overstable disc, or am looking for a skip. It hasn't lost any of it's fade yet, and it's hit a ton of trees.

I really like my champ banshee for shots where I want a really overstable disc, or am looking for a skip. It hasn't lost any of it's fade yet, and it's hit a ton of trees.

I've got two Champ Banshees and I love them. A 150 and 175...I'll tell you what I love way more are my Discraft Z-Reapers. I can't throw super heavy discs, so I have to keep it 170 and under...but personally the Reaper is one of my favorite discs and it replaced the Banshees I swore by for a while.

I've got two Champ Banshees and I love them. A 150 and 175...I'll tell you what I love way more are my Discraft Z-Reapers. I can't throw super heavy discs, so I have to keep it 170 and under...but personally the Reaper is one of my favorite discs and it replaced the Banshees I swore by for a while.

Hmm, maybe I'll try one as a backup to my banshee next time I get new discs.

Look for the CFRs if you like the disc. Why try something else if you have something that works.
The CFR Viper flies like a brick compared to the DX. A for a premium disc with similar speed and stability to a DX Viper I'll echo E Blaze or Champ Banshee. They are both faster, but they will fly more like a DX Viper than the CFR Viper.

Reapers are awesome and I agree that they are better than Banshees. Banshees aren't overstable enough for my forehand shot.

Latest posts