• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Westside] The WestSide 'King'

Pro plastic is pretty flippy. Also Katanas can be all over the place.

I can't think of many distance drivers that are as consistently pop-top as the Shryke. Goldline Ballista Pros in the 160s are fun as hell to smash down the field, but they're not usually a huge domey top like Shrykes. Relativities are usually fairly domey in my experience. Corvettes are essentially a faster and thus more stable Shryke, and can also get pretty domey as well.

I throw lightweight Kings. 155-158 gm. They can bomb. Hyzer to flat and they just crush......IF, there is no wind and you get enough hyzer angle to start with. I don't get much more than around 325 golf distance though.

Like you, I also prefer domey heartbeat drivers. Have you had more luck with Katanas in Champ or Star? Also, are Pro Katanas even worth trying or are they flippy hot garbage?

I like both champ and star, as long as they're domey. For sheer distance sake I'd say stars are a little longer.

I don't mess with pro plastic anymore. It flies OK for a while, but then goes wildly flippy. I'd imagine a pro Katana would start out really nice, but start flipping bad in a hurry.

I haven't had great luck with G* Katanas either. For some reason they always seem flat and glideless.

My best Katana ever, and it was long, was a Star I found in a used bin. I bought a Pro thinking I could short cut the break in. It sucked. Similar to Pro Terns, it had none of the Star Katana glide.

My best Katana ever, and it was long, was a Star I found in a used bin. I bought a Pro thinking I could short cut the break in. It sucked. Similar to Pro Terns, it had none of the Star Katana glide.

Agreed. I've thrown 1 pro Tern, and I just didn't love it. It wasn't terrible, but it wasn't as good as a star.

Good star Katanas are staggeringly long bombers.