• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

The Whole "Discing Down" Phenomena

I can tell you with absolute certainty that if I threw a cyclone and a surge with the same snap, form, power and released both flat, that the cyclone would turn over into the ground every time.
If this is true then something is very very wrong. It could be your form, it could be the disc. Cyclones held the distance record just under 600' IIRC. Yes that had to have been hyzer flipped, and yes it probably had a tailwind. I have the feeling you probably aren't throwing your Cyclone more than 400'.

Assuming your form is what is driving the Cyclone into the ground (which I doubt since you get your Buzzz out to 350') then you are an ideal candidate for discing down.

What happened to the Halo bro?

It only tags along with me when I'm playing an open course.
If this is true then something is very very wrong. It could be your form, it could be the disc.

I was thinking the same thing, a Cyclone thrown with some cleanness and height will sail. But I can't throw a Buzzz 350' so I'll stay out of it. :D

Once you learn to throw your teebird 400 you will not care about high speed drivers any more.

Last edited:
I am a proponent of "discing down." I have gone to a football field and measured quite accurately my throws with a large number of discs. Repeatedly.

And I discovered that the slower speed discs I throw farther. So to the person who started this thread, who thought that discing down would reduce my chance of birdies, the answer for me is no. It will increase the chance. Not only do I throw straighter and more controlled, I throw farther.

The main reason for this is that higher speed drivers (say 11, 12, 13 speed using Innova's numbers) hyzer for me very quickly. They fade very quickly. If I throw slower speed drivers, they don't fade nearly as soon, and thus they go farther.

I've done a lot of studying on this. I've played with weights and speeds. If I lower the weight of a high speed driver, I can eventually get it to really perform. But it always remains very sensitive. In contrast, if I just throw a leopard, it's almost always picture perfect, right down the middle.

I still keep a couple of light-weight high speed R-Pro Boss drivers in my bag. When I'm in a wide open fairway, I try and throw them. I enjoy throwing them. But I'll throw a leopard farther.

Once you learn to throw your teebird 400 you will not care about high speed drivers any more.

How ironic...yet true.

When I first thought I was getting good, I added faster drivers to the bag to help get the distance. You know, to get to 320. Learned bad habits and was really inconsistent. So I did the mold reduction disc down thing.

I still use my Rocs and Comets more than anything else to work on hard drives. I mean full cranked up drives, as hard as I would throw a Destroyer. If I screw up, I'll be the first to know.

As my form has improved and so has my distance across all discs. Of course, there are grip adjustment for the wider rims and the nose of fast drivers must be down.

Now I carry Destroyers as I can get them near 400ft. Took a little time getting used to the wide rim, but I definately am getting the add'l footage. But my Rocs now cover every single hole that my fast drivers did last year. And Teebird and Eagles are my first choice for ANY distance drive that requires an element of control.

So I've done all this work to improve so that I can use the fast drivers that I hardly throw because my mids go as far as my drivers did last year...Hmmm...

Not bragging, but the disc down program works. I still do it...

How ironic...yet true.

When I first thought I was getting good, I added faster drivers to the bag to help get the distance. You know, to get to 320. Learned bad habits and was really inconsistent. So I did the mold reduction disc down thing.

I still use my Rocs and Comets more than anything else to work on hard drives. I mean full cranked up drives, as hard as I would throw a Destroyer. If I screw up, I'll be the first to know.

As my form has improved and so has my distance across all discs. Of course, there are grip adjustment for the wider rims and the nose of fast drivers must be down.

Now I carry Destroyers as I can get them near 400ft. Took a little time getting used to the wide rim, but I definately am getting the add'l footage. But my Rocs now cover every single hole that my fast drivers did last year. And Teebird and Eagles are my first choice for ANY distance drive that requires an element of control.

So I've done all this work to improve so that I can use the fast drivers that I hardly throw because my mids go as far as my drivers did last year...Hmmm...

Not bragging, but the disc down program works. I still do it...

quoted for truth

i read his words and thought was typing my story.....

1 year ago I was throwing Firebirds and Valks on holes I now throw the Buzz. For specific holes I could watch myself gradually discing down more and more. Hole 16 at Arboretum I'd use a Leopard at first, then a Roc, then a Wizard. The result is I'm much more accurate, because I can rely on a mid and putter for the vast majority of my game. It's generally gotta be 350' or more before I think about pulling out a fairway driver, and last year I couldn't even get distance drivers out that far. I feel like it helped me immensely. I also enjoyed using a Star Teebird as my distance driver for a few months, and I really enjoyed out-throwing friends Wraiths, Nukes, Katanas and Bosses with it.

Birdie oppertunities have nothing to do with learning to throw correctly. The purpose of discing down isn't to shave strokes off your score immedately, so arguing that it won't do that doesn't make sense.

The idea isn't to do it forever. The idea is to do it to gain a certain level of competence to make all discs fly better for you. Once you're getting those slower drivers out to 320'-350' with control then it's probably benefitial to add a faster disc in there to help work on getting the nose down even more. Before that they'll probably do more harm than good.

My understanding is that Dan Beto learned to throw that far using mostly Wizards, Rocs, Cyclones and Teebirds.

Birdie opportunities do factor into it...when you've master slower discs. The slower a disc, the more predictable it is. If you're throwing a BuZzz on a 257' slight hyzer line...you're going to be able to hit the bird more often than somebody throwing a Destroyer. I'm not saying DON'T throw the destroyer, throw what WORKS. But a slower disc thrown correctly will improve your game in the long run, hands down.

I shot my personal BEST yesterday. Let me break down my tee throws:

Meteor
CryZtal BuZzz
CryZtal BuZzz
Avenger SS
Stalker
CryZtal BuZzz
Avenger SS
CryZtal BuZzz

Z BuZzz
Surge SS
Ion
Z BuZzz
Avenger SS
Surge SS
Meteor
Avenger SS
Avenger SS

The more overstable, fastest disc i threw off the tee...was a Surge SS...not that fast, not very overstable. But I threw good lines, and focused on precision over distance.

I'm not saying don't throw faster discs, just saying that working on the slow stuff helps EVERYTHING out. I had a Z Nuke and a Champ Wraith in the bag, but I didn't need them.

\/\/

1 year ago I was throwing Firebirds and Valks on holes I now throw the Buzz. For specific holes I could watch myself gradually discing down more and more. Hole 16 at Arboretum I'd use a Leopard at first, then a Roc, then a Wizard. The result is I'm much more accurate, because I can rely on a mid and putter for the vast majority of my game. It's generally gotta be 350' or more before I think about pulling out a fairway driver, and last year I couldn't even get distance drivers out that far. I feel like it helped me immensely. I also enjoyed using a Star Teebird as my distance driver for a few months, and I really enjoyed out-throwing friends Wraiths, Nukes, Katanas and Bosses with it.

This. To give some perspective my friends and I were throwing Wraiths, Orcs, and Destroyers 290'-310', my Fairways were 270' I threw my Rocs about 250', and my putters about 150'. In May I disced down and now I put my TBird and Leopard past their Boss's (350'), Mids 300', and putters 250'.
I use my putters on holes others use Valks on and I just recently realized I'm not including snap into my throw and when I did pushed everything about 30 feet extra but I want to do it some more to see.

Discing down works because you have to learn to put Mids where you are more than likely throwing your driver (at least most people around here). And frankly I like how much more reliable my throw is now. Instead of thinking "My driver will land around such and such an area" I know my putter will go exactly where I want it to be.

Latest posts