• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

the1DiscChallenge ITB

the1discChallenge

Eagle Member
Vitals:
Years playing/experience: About 10
Right/left-handed/ambidextrous: Right handed
Throwing Style: RHBH, RHFH, OH, trick shots
Golf Distance (avg/max*) for putter/mid/driver: Putter-230/280 (will push 310 in calm/tailwind) Mid- 280/330 Fairway- 320/370 Distance- 370/460 (max distance is with something understable)

I'm mostly just posting an ITB to keep myself from changing too much....gotta have some accountability, right? The two spots I'm working on are my driving putters and distance drivers, but I think I'm narrowing those down. My mids-speed 10 drivers are pretty set.

Max distance drivers-
173g RPM Kahu - open field max distance. Fast and slightly understable
174g DGA Hurricane - this thing is b e e f y
167g Discraft Force - it may as well be a Hurricane. Controllable overstable driver.
173g DGA Hurricane - main distance driver, good amount of flex, but will always fade back
**working on the understable speed 12 range, thinking a Discraft Thrasher?)

Hybrid drivers-
173g Axiom Wrath - Straight flight that will push left for me
170g Axiom Wrath - Straighter for longer than the above Wrath with a little less fade
172g Axiom Wrath - I can get flex out of this one. It's the workhorse Wrath for sure
175g Axiom Insanity - hyzerflips and anything I need to go right. Perfectly workable.

Fairway drivers-
175g MVP Resistor - This is my OS utility disc. I find myself reaching for it for shots up to
320 or as little as 200. It's unbelievably controllable and OS at many
different speeds. Love this disc.
174g RPM Huia - the Teebird slot, new to the bag, but it's very workable. Holds up to power
and will flip up to flat when thrown hard. Great for fighting winds
175g Axiom Crave - very straight. this will hold pretty straight to the ground on high
powered shots, or have a slow reliable push to the left on 70% power
shots.
174g Axiom Crave - the disc I've had in the bag the longest. It's the money broken in flight
everybody aspires to have in their bag. Perfect slow flips and extremely
controllable.
174g Streamline Drift - similar to the Crave, but a bit more understable. Very controllable.

Midranges-
174g Discraft Buzzz OS - OS mid, pretty self explainatory
178g Discraft Buzzz - Surprisingly OS for a Buzzz, but straighter than the OS mold
178g Discraft Buzzz - The workhorse Buzzz
178g Axiom Theory - dead straight to understable mid. Stupidly workable

Putters-
**I have a Scale on the way for overstable utility shots**
175g Gateway Wizard - everyone knows what a Wizard does by now. I use it a ton.
168g Millenium Omega - The straightest, easiest throwing putter I've every used...seriously
174g Discraft Roach - The main putting putters, glidey and straight

I'm finally reviving this thread just because...the funny thing is that the first post was about a year and a half ago and I wanted "accountability so I didn't change too much" and here we are with an almost entirely different bag....anyway:

3x Destroyers (2 star, 1 gstar) in various stages of wear
1x Champ Teedevil for understable duties
1x Proton Trace. I'm figuring out exactly what my driver set up is, and I want to play around with more 11 speed drivers

1x C-line Scepter for overstable utility
2x Wraths (1 proton, 1 neutron) for overstable workhorse control drivers
1x Neutron Lift for straight-US duties

2x Volts (1 proton, 1 electron) as my go-to fairways
1x Cosmic Pekapeka for understable fairway shots
1x Neutron Resistor for OS Utility
1x Star Leopard, trying out some speed 6 utility discs

2x Kotuku (1 cosmic, 1 strata) for cycling mids
1x Atomic Piwakawaka for straight-US

1x C-blend Ruin for os utility
4x Wizards in all stages of wear and for putting
1x Magic for outside the circle putts

forgot the teedevil ever existed

do you have a stockpile of them

how did you get turned onto that mold

forgot the teedevil ever existed

do you have a stockpile of them

how did you get turned onto that mold

It's kind of a trial right now, but my brick and mortar store had some x-out Teedevils so I picked one up. It's a weird blend of champ– the plastic is a little cloudy and kind of slick. I picked up a Viking discs Odin because I heard it's a little less stable than the Destroyer and I'm looking for a Halo Tern to try out as well. But for now the Teedevil is working fairly well for me.

It's kind of a trial right now, but my brick and mortar store had some x-out Teedevils so I picked one up. It's a weird blend of champ– the plastic is a little cloudy and kind of slick. I picked up a Viking discs Odin because I heard it's a little less stable than the Destroyer and I'm looking for a Halo Tern to try out as well. But for now the Teedevil is working fairly well for me.

love x outs

is it fingerprinty

is it that half champ half star type blend

My constant struggle with finding the right putter set up is back....I thought I settled on Wizards, but I found an EMac Judge on the course (no name or number...the snow consumes discs this time of year...) and realized that I wasn't releasing my Wizards cleanly. The Judge fits in my hand better and flies more like what I was hoping for in my Wizards.

I'm not quite giving up on Wizards yet since I don't want to change over everything right away, but I'm wondering if a premium Judge would do what my wizards do for a more OS flight...Are lucid Judges about as overstable as a sure grip Wizard? I might look into that option.

Hmm I thought you were looking for an envy? I don't know how stable a judge is but I know an envy is.

I use a Plasma Envy as a premium plastic bookend to my Wizards for more stability off the tee. I don't have any experience with Judges first hand but I was under the impression they were straighter than a Wizard out of the box.

Hmm I thought you were looking for an envy? I don't know how stable a judge is but I know an envy is.

I do this thing where I very quickly change my mind lol I quite like the Emac Judge, but I went out for a couple rounds after I made this post and realized it's too straight for a go-to putter. Very very straight flier and easy to throw, but I miss the slight overstability of the Envy. I want to pair down my putter molds, and the Envy will do more across all the plastics than the Judge will for me.

I use a Plasma Envy as a premium plastic bookend to my Wizards for more stability off the tee. I don't have any experience with Judges first hand but I was under the impression they were straighter than a Wizard out of the box.

My response to ThrowaEnvy ties into this one– I realized that I really really wanted to like the Wizard, but I just can't get a clean release with them. I'm glad you mentioned the plas Envy bookending your Wizards. It's been a few years since I've thrown a plasma Envy, but I remember really liking it. I'll try to track one down and give it a shot.

I do this thing where I very quickly change my mind lol I quite like the Emac Judge, but I went out for a couple rounds after I made this post and realized it's too straight for a go-to putter. Very very straight flier and easy to throw, but I miss the slight overstability of the Envy. I want to pair down my putter molds, and the Envy will do more across all the plastics than the Judge will for me.

My response to ThrowaEnvy ties into this one– I realized that I really really wanted to like the Wizard, but I just can't get a clean release with them. I'm glad you mentioned the plas Envy bookending your Wizards. It's been a few years since I've thrown a plasma Envy, but I remember really liking it. I'll try to track one down and give it a shot.

Well fwiw I throw 167 plasmas all the time it's my putter too. I use a 174 cosmic electron soft as a driver and control disc, it will double as a putter, it matches well with the 165 plasmas. Pretty much zero fade with the electron lots of good rounds and aces on it. If I'm feeling it I will throw in a 174 neutron or eclipse for a worn but more stable flight.

Well fwiw I throw 167 plasmas all the time it's my putter too. I use a 174 cosmic electron soft as a driver and control disc, it will double as a putter, it matches well with the 165 plasmas. Pretty much zero fade with the electron lots of good rounds and aces on it. If I'm feeling it I will throw in a 174 neutron or eclipse for a worn but more stable flight.

Since it's been a few years since I threw an Envy, this is very helpful. Thank you! I'm going to pick one up tomorrow actually-- I'm thinking about getting a heavy electron to start seasoning

Some slight tweaks to the bag after a few rounds and some field work:

3x Destroyers (2 star, 1 gstar) in various stages of wear
1x Storm Odin. Got one to try out and it's more understable than I wanted, but still has a nice controlled flight
1x Proton Trace

1x C-line Scepter for overstable utility
2x Volts (1 proton, 1 electron) as stable-overstable control drivers
1x Cosmic Pekapeka for straight-understable control shots
1x Champ Gazelle, overstable go-to fairway
2x Star Leopard, one beat in, one new

2x Kotuku (1 atomic, 1 strata) for cycling mids
1x Atomic Piwakawaka for straight-US

1x C-blend Ruin for os utility
Envies and Proxies. I haven't gotten many yet, but I got one of each and I'm much more confident with them than the Wizards I was using.

I'm playing around with fairway and control slots and for now, I really like the speed 6 and speed 8 set up. Volts go a long ways and work nicely with the Trace I have.

I don't understand the people who say Leopards are more beginner discs and that they're not as useful for advanced players. Mine handle a lot of power and have a beautifully slow controlled flip up and will ride dead straight-slight right. The hand feel and control is just amazing. I like speed 6 discs since I have a gap between my mids (300ish max) and my Volts (330 minimum without being too OS). That 300-330 range is so important to have and the Gazelle and Leopard fill it perfectly for me.

My local brick and mortar didn't have any premium plastic, so I got a 175g medium electron. I was surprised how much I liked it for putting too

Who is your local brick & mortar? CJ's? Holen's? The Throw Shop? Just curious. I used to spend a lot of time in the Novi area for work, so I got around to the disc golf courses & shops.

Who is your local brick & mortar? CJ's? Holen's? The Throw Shop? Just curious. I used to spend a lot of time in the Novi area for work, so I got around to the disc golf courses & shops.

The Throw Shop is a little closer for me so I usually go there. Ben mentioned that he'd get some premium plastic back soon. They have pretty stocked shelves which was nice to see for a change. Lots of molds that I haven't seen in stock for a long time!

I'm not sure if anyone really reads these or cares, but it helps me to write out some thoughts about my bag and round, so here it is :hfive: Played a snowy round at Independence Lake West and brought out the whole bag. I didn't need a lot of the distance drivers, but most of my trials have been in my fairway and putter line up anyway. Some thoughts:

–The Leopard is crazy underrated. I'm not an open player by any means, but I can control my angles fairly well and have a 400+ golf shot and I love how versatile it is. I've seen so many posts about how the Leopard is only a beginner disc that people grow out of it, but for that 300-350 range, it's amazingly controllable for anything straight to slightly US.

–I didn't get a chance to throw the Gazelle very much, but the few times I did, I think I like it. It's definitely a little finicky. I haven't quite gotten the angles down yet, but I'm going to keep working at it.

–I stopped by the other local shop near me that's about 3min from the course and their shelves were FULLY stocked. I hadn't seen Atoms on the shelf for a long long time, so I picked one up as I've thrown them before and really like them. I think I'm going to try the Envy/Atom combo for a bit. I have one that's a little beat in that is perfect for slow turning shots. I really want to get one in premium plastic, but for now, the Atom is in.

–The friend I played with today just started playing at the beginning of this past summer and is hooked. He's trying multiple shots, so I also threw a few on each hole. The second throw on 18 (after I completely shanked the first) was with my Pekapeka on a 330ft anhyzer shot, and it went in! I don't like to count 2nd-throw aces, but it was still a really good "ace" to hit even though I can't count it :thmbup:

Latest posts