• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

There's more dirtbag news.....

DannyM

Eagle Member
:mad:
Since our home course is missing two holes right now because of school expansion next to the park, a few of us in our league will put in alternate holes to equal it out to 18, this also adds a bit of "variety". Well yesterday I took my travel baskets, and set one up near a softball field, in an area where we had set one up before. After our first round, we played a 2nd round of random doubles, and again played the alternate holes. After we finished up, we broke off for lunch, and I went to go pick up my basket....it was gone! some dirtbag went and picked it up and left with it. Don't know if it was some kids, or a disc golfer that had seen it there, or what. It was tucked away a good bit and not too noticeable. Just really ticks me off. The park is in an area that is "nicer" neighborhoods, and there were hardly any people out at the park as it was, it was a day after Christmas, early in the am, and VERY wet, since we had about 3-4 inches of rain on Christmas. Glad that I only set up one of my temps, hate to have both stolen in 1 day:thmbdown:

That sucks. I worry about that also because I have let a buddy use 3 of mine for his tourneys but knock on wood they havent disappeared yet.

a little off topic, last year i was at my parents in small town PA and had just gotten a new mp3 player for xmas. I left it in my car parked in my parents driveway... parked as close to the house as i could get it. And i was sleeping in the room with the window right above where it was parked. Woke up the next morning to go skiing and it was gone. I guess i left the doors unlocked. Funny part is, i would leave my doors unlocked in DC suburbs frequently and never had anything missing.

Lesson learned: no matter how safe you think your stuff is, never leave it unattended/unsecured.

So I was playing at a park here in florida (north watertower) yesterday teaching my girlfriends sisters how to play. A sketchy 3some came up behind us and sat at the same park bench we were at. The lady grabs me and my girls bag and starts rummaging through the thing asked what we have. I politely took the bag from her and showed her. But i knew then that i could not leave anything unattended.

When we used temporary baskets for pro tournaments, after the day was over instead of carrying all the baskets back to a secure area we would bury them some where close to the pin placement. We never lost a basket doing this and saved a lot of time and effort.

When we used temporary baskets for pro tournaments, after the day was over instead of carrying all the baskets back to a secure area we would bury them some where close to the pin placement. We never lost a basket doing this and saved a lot of time and effort.

Seriously? It was less effort to bury them and dig them out than to just put them in the back of a pick-up and take them home overnight? Seriously?

Seriously? It was less effort to bury them and dig them out than to just put them in the back of a pick-up and take them home overnight? Seriously?
Yes, seriously.
We didn't have to dig any holes, there were bushes or fallen debris to bury them under. They were well camouflaged and we couldn't get a truck to some of the spots so we would have to carry those back and forth. Much easier and a great time saver.

That's really a shame, it's too bad people are such dirtbags. My gf, her dad and I were making our own holes with my temp basket around the elementary school by his house and I had just set up a longer hole (~500'). As I was jogging back to where they were to throw, they started waving and pointing behind me. I turned around, and two kids were in the process of picking up the basket and about to walk off with it. I ran them down and took it back and asked them what they were doing. Turns out they didn't even know what it was, it just looked cool so they thought they would take it. Pretty sad.

As I has stated in the past, in the times we live in, you can't leave anything unattended, or in plain sight in your car. If I am in the car, I keep all discs in the trunk, and if I am in the truck, I bring a jacket and cover my discs in the floor board. I also never keep anything in my bag I can't replace like my wallet , keys or cell phone. You gotta use your head.

Do you live by WarEagle? :)

That must be it...he did it! I didn't pay anything for the basket, it was a prize for taking 2nd in the points series, it was just the principle. I've got a feeling it was a situation like Mashnut...it was some kids who saw it and thought it was "cool'....but had no clue as to what it was.

I guess i left the doors unlocked. Funny part is, i would leave my doors unlocked in DC suburbs frequently and never had anything missing.

Lesson learned: no matter how safe you think your stuff is, never leave it unattended/unsecured.

Locking your car only helps so much. I had my car window broken so some crack addict could steal my change tray once in Pittsburgh. From now on, I tend to leave the car unlocked. If people want something that's in my car that bad, they can take it. I'd rather not deal with the insurance company.

I do what Midnight suggested, though, and try to obscure valuables.

Here is what i do with my dga basket, First, it has my name number and address written on it in permanent marker, second i have a 6' cable lock, similar to those used for bicycles, i drive a 3' stake into the ground and lock it down, yea, they can pull the stake if the really want it but it will take some time, this also helps if the wind happens to pick up. Oh, and my 'stake' is 3/4" rebar that i heated up with a torch and made an eye on the end with.

Latest posts