• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Vibram] Thinking about trying out these new Vibram Five Fingers!

Dave Walters

Double Eagle Member
http://www.vibramfivefingers.com/

They look pretty awesome.
I am not sure how they would feel.

But I am really considering getting a pair.
Even if I don't play in them they look interesting.

Whats your opinion?

large.jpg

I think that would irritate me having material between the toes but imagine what people would think if they saw your footprint.

I have a pair of KSO's, awesome shoes. I have hiked and run in them, they are awesome for kayaking. I wear them around town a get weird looks They take a little while to strengthen your feet so don't push too hard. I don't like them for DG because the stick too well on concrete teepads and won't allow the ball of my foot to rotate on drives.
I wanted to get a pair of those, but couldn't find them to try on, fit is extremely important for comfort.

I have a buddy that loves the five fingers approach. He sold shoes for REI for a while so I really should trust his opinion. They just look too weird to me. I know I should give them a shot though. My buddy did play DG in his at least once and they seemed to work well.

I've been reading a lot recently about these and some other minimalist shoes. There seems to be a strong movement that claims barefoot walking/running can actually be better for you and reduce injuries. I've dealt with running injuries for awhile now, so I'm pretty tempted to give it a try.

There are some reviews of these and other minimalist shoes here:

http://www.barefootrunner.com/

I think that would irritate me having material between the toes but imagine what people would think if they saw your footprint.

Agree completely...I was actually thinking that pretty much. Very redonculous looking

i'de have to try on a pair i've made the mistake of buyin shoes n not trying em on first and really wish i had. but it'de give me a reason to buy some more toe socks that match lol

You would be incredibly surprised. They are very comfortable.
I did some trail running in arkansas this last weekend after getting out of a kayak, worked great for both. I set a personal best 5k time within 2 weeks of wearing them without training for close to 6 months. My wife ran 2 miles for the first time in her life, has no more knee pain while running. I'm on the minimalist bandwagon, but caution it takes a while to strengthen the feet to be able to handle long distances. I overdid it and tore my calves up so I couldn't run for over a week because they were so sore. Don't knock them until you try them.

I've been thinking about picking up a pair of these for a while. I hadnt seen these ones yet. They look way more rugged than the other ones they have. How are they during the winter months? Is there any sort of insulation, or waterproof barrier available with any of the models?

I have read a little about how walking and running barefoot or with minimalist shoes is great for the body in general. I would like to pick up a pair of these but with winter coming up I think I might wait until spring.

They are defininitly not waterproof, but they do dry quickly. Haven't had them during the winter so far. If you visit the minimalist shoe website mentioned previously they probably talk about winter running.

I have a pair of the KSO's also, they are great. I too am a big fan of minimal footwear. I use them for running mostly, but I will also occasionally just wear them out to the grocery store or the mall (if you do, be prepared to get some interesting looks and perhaps a few questions).

The KSO's are not very good in the winter. The upper is made of a thin mesh-like material and the sole is a thin (but durable) rubber sole, so you feet get pretty cold both from the cold air over the top of your feet, and from the cold ground under your feet. Vibram does make a model called the Flow which have a neoprene (wetsuit material) upper; these might be better for the cold.

I have (and highly recommend) the KSO's (keep stuff out!). I wear them all the time for disc golf but they are especially comfortable on grassy courses. Courses with gravel teepads (and gravel in general) are going to be your biggest nightmare. The vibram soles are strong enough to keep you safe from just about anything (glass, rocks, sticks) except a direct knife stab maybe but thin enough to give you great comfort and flexibility. One of my biggest qualms when trying them on in the store was that they would be too grippy on the concrete pads (they are super grippy) but this has not been an issue at all. Another great thing about these shoes is that they are machine washable and smell and look like new!

I shot my second highest round in these, a 998 after shooting a 931 rated round earlier in the day in my bite disc golf shoes (which I wear a lot as well).

lol those things just look weird. I don't think I could bring my self to wear them. I trip enough on the course I don't need to add extra places on the front of my shoe for things to catch me.

as others have said, everyone i know that sports these swears by them. yet to try some myself.

I am super stoked to be reading all these good reviews.

I am definitely going to give them a try.

Even if I do not use them for disc golf I am an avid camper/backpacker and I would love these on the trail.