• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

This is Higher Ground

ShannonHG

Hello, I'm here to introduce my course properly.

I'm Shannon Neely and I designed and built Higher Ground back in '94. Actually the course used to be called "Up The Creek", but in '96 we had hurricane Fran come through here and wreak havoc on the all the local courses, including mine, and destroyed my house. So we bought the house and property next door and slightly up the hill...and expanded. I added some more holes to the course and it was fittingly renamed Higher Ground.
(It's funny every time I hear them say it on the weather channel if a storm is approaching..."Head to higher ground"...lol.

I've sponsored events here on three different popular disc golf tours since '99. The Homegrown Tour, my favorite, along with many others in NC, is a tour that covers the whole state of NC, and exclusively plays private courses. Each of these courses was carefully and painstakingly built from scratch by devoted and very enthusiastic disc golfers who wanted to create and share their own course with the rest of the community. They may not all be championship course material, but each one is unique and was built for the love of the game by people's own hands...not bought and paid for by the state and stuck in some park full of constant traffic. You go to a private course and you get the privilege of playing in a quiet, clean, serene, environment. We screen our guests. It's a place where you don't have to worry about some new guy who just stopped at the store, picked up a disc and headed to the nearest park with it....then rushes all over the course with no etiquette, and hits someone in the head because they don't know to yell FORE if they have an errant shot. There are no beer cans, cigarrette butts, even condoms, on the ground and no loiterers or thieves who will pick up your disc and stick it in their bag and walk off.
Private courses rock! Support your local private course owners please. They are all great people.

Now for a few pics of my little slice of heaven. All the baskets on the course, except 4 that were donated, are hand made by myself. I've built the same type and installed them on a few local courses, one at a church in Durham, which I designed and built myself.
I have three 18 hole courses setup here, using the same baskets but playing from different tees, and in different directions around a 4.5 acre pond, along the creek, and winding through the woods and open fields.

Come see us! You can look me up in the PDGA Disc Golf Directory, or just send me a PM or email and I'll be happy to give you directions.

Now for some pics!

Attachments

• red tees.JPG
    red tees.JPG
    56.6 KB · Views: 36
Here's all three courses.

The original (black) course is mixed in there with the Red and Blue in the last pic. I need to find where I put the separate pic of those holes and print up some of those maps again. That's just too congested. But you can tell which ones by the colors for now.

Hey could I please get a moderator to remove that pic in my previous post? I'm still getting used to the software here. I couldn't get all three to post the first time and found a better one of the Red tees. Thanks:)

Attachments

• 2007 Blue Course.jpg
    2007 Blue Course.jpg
    100.2 KB · Views: 26
  • 2007 Homegrown Red Tees.jpg
    2007 Homegrown Red Tees.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 14
  • all tees (jpg).JPG
    all tees (jpg).JPG
    81.2 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:
Some actual course pics....

This is me putting on hole #9 Red...

A friend putting on Red #2...

Followed by my friend "Boston J" putting on #2 Blue (or 16 red?)...

Attachments

• Copy of Copy of Copy of Copy of Copy of Eric's Higher Ground disc golf pics 031.jpg
    Copy of Copy of Copy of Copy of Copy of Eric's Higher Ground disc golf pics 031.jpg
    100.9 KB · Views: 51
  • Copy (3) of Copy of Eric's Higher Ground disc golf pics 058.jpg
    Copy (3) of Copy of Eric's Higher Ground disc golf pics 058.jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 45
  • Copy (2) of Copy of Eric's Higher Ground disc golf pics 063.jpg
    Copy (2) of Copy of Eric's Higher Ground disc golf pics 063.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 41
I'm gonna post some more pics. Got some friends coming out soon to help on a course workday so I'll come back later and post some more stuff. We've got a huge tournament coming up in two weeks and are expecting over a hundred people. I always do an overhaul on the course in August to prepare for this one. It will be in tip top shape if the weather cooperates.

For now though...here's a few more.

L to Rt...
Me on #2 (or #1 black)...

Rich on #6 Red...

Coming down Red 14's fairway...

Attachments

• Copy (3) of Copy of Eric's Higher Ground disc golf pics 056.jpg
    Copy (3) of Copy of Eric's Higher Ground disc golf pics 056.jpg
    101.5 KB · Views: 27
  • Copy of Copy of Copy of Copy of Copy of Eric's Higher Ground disc golf pics 028.jpg
    Copy of Copy of Copy of Copy of Copy of Eric's Higher Ground disc golf pics 028.jpg
    101.7 KB · Views: 23
  • Copy (4) of Copy of Eric's Higher Ground disc golf pics 060.jpg
    Copy (4) of Copy of Eric's Higher Ground disc golf pics 060.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 29
Me on #6 Red...

Rich about to birdie #7 Red...

And a good shot of #9 Red...(the basket is tucked around to the left just over the dam). This is one of the coolest holes on the course.

Attachments

• Eric's Higher Ground disc golf pics 068.jpg
    Eric's Higher Ground disc golf pics 068.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 24
  • Eric's Higher Ground disc golf pics 049.jpg
    Eric's Higher Ground disc golf pics 049.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 26
  • Eric's Higher Ground disc golf pics 070.jpg
    Eric's Higher Ground disc golf pics 070.jpg
    83 KB · Views: 28
Dean on #9....

Gray sinking a putt on #3...

And a classic shot of one of the most unique baskets on any course! The 'Joe Who' "Broken disc basket"! Hated by some...but loved by all who know Joe and can appreciate it. There's a story behind this one....

Attachments

• Eric's Higher Ground disc golf pics 091.jpg
    Eric's Higher Ground disc golf pics 091.jpg
    84.7 KB · Views: 25
  • Eric's Higher Ground disc golf pics 020.jpg
    Eric's Higher Ground disc golf pics 020.jpg
    87.6 KB · Views: 24
  • Eric's Higher Ground disc golf pics 021.jpg
    Eric's Higher Ground disc golf pics 021.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 31
This is my friend Brent grunting one out one of the 300' holes....#18 Red

Boston J with another fine grunt on #6...

And me floating an air biscuit on #15...lol....ooops!

Attachments

• Eric's Higher Ground disc golf pics 034.jpg
    Eric's Higher Ground disc golf pics 034.jpg
    101.6 KB · Views: 18
  • Eric's Higher Ground disc golf pics 067.jpg
    Eric's Higher Ground disc golf pics 067.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 19
  • Eric's Higher Ground disc golf pics 077.jpg
    Eric's Higher Ground disc golf pics 077.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 27
Dave saving one from near disaster....

Gray Drilling one on #18...

Stretch missing the CTP but making his birdie on #15...

Attachments

• Eric's Higher Ground disc golf pics 095.jpg
    Eric's Higher Ground disc golf pics 095.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 14
  • Eric's Higher Ground disc golf pics 118.jpg
    Eric's Higher Ground disc golf pics 118.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 11
  • Eric's Higher Ground disc golf pics 014.jpg
    Eric's Higher Ground disc golf pics 014.jpg
    81 KB · Views: 21
Some shots from up around the house...

Original #1 Tee...

View from the deck....

Looking down original #18 (also 18 Blue) from the top of the hill...

Attachments

• Hole #1.jpg
    Hole #1.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 31
  • View from deck.jpg
    View from deck.jpg
    83.9 KB · Views: 29
  • Hole #18.jpg
    Hole #18.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 22
Gotta run now...It's mowing time...:D

Be back later with some more....

Eventually I'll have a website with a pic of each hole from the tee.

Thanks for lookin'!

wow man, course looks great! I'm new to the area, moved from St. Louis not too long ago...can't wait to get down and play your course...just played Middle Creek today for the first time and next time i make it down there i'm gonna hit you up and try out your course if you don't mind...i've played Sunshine Acres and Tar River on the HGT and both of those are very entertaining and interesting courses! from the pics, yours looks similar...can't wait to find out for myself

Bring it on anytime Tom. Sounds like you know some good friends of mine...Ann A., Hawk, D Silva, lots more I'm sure....

yeah I played MC for the first time last week. Looks like they have a nice thing going there. I look forward to watching it, and helping it grow in.

There's certainly plenty of variety at Higher Ground. With 3 layouts you can play the same baskets a number of different ways. The course is very scenic with many of the holes playing around the lake and creeks. There's risk vs. reward all over the place.

Hole 3 Black layout (Red 9) is one of the top 5 best and most beautiful holes of the >200 courses I've played. At 237 ft. it's not long, but your drive has to hyzer out over the lake, then land on a peninsula with a creek behind, so you have to have just the right touch. Go too short, too long, or too far left and you've found water, but it sure is satisfying to park it for a deuce!

Thanks, Shannon, for all of your hard work out there and the events that you run!

(I'm re-posting Shannon's picture of hole 3. The hole is even better than the picture, but this gives you some idea of it.)

Attachments

• NC-Fuquay-HigherGround-Black3tee.jpg
    NC-Fuquay-HigherGround-Black3tee.jpg
    84.7 KB · Views: 18
Shannon,

How many baskets are there in all out at HG?

Also, I uploaded some maps, score cards, and pictures (the pictures are copies of a couple of yours).

[I'd love to see a better picture of Black 3/ Red 9 where you can see more of the lake and where you have to land.]

Take care,
Olorin

Thank You!

I'm glad someone who is known and trusted here, and has actually met me and played my course numerous times, decided to post about it.

It was Olorin who led me to this forum to begin with. It was also him who helped me out with my scorecard design. Thanks L!

I'll try and get a better pic for you of your favorite hole here.
To answer your question, there are 19 pin placements in all, which give the visiting golfer a choice of three totally different 18 hole courses to play.

Two of the courses are set up for tournament play, with mutiple groups on the front and the back, and the "old course" is designed for smaller groups, and plays the front nine around to the clubhouse, then back around on the same 9 baskets in a classic double loop, only using the same baskets twice (from totally opposite directions, therefore totally different holes).

I'm thinking about setting up a course of my own as well. Love the blue homemade baskets. They look pretty solid. How did you make them (& for how much $$)?

I like the basket hanging from a tree. That has to be a lot of fun in a stiff breeze with the branches swinging back and forth. Looks like a neat course that I have to check out if I am ever in the area.

-Dave

They are pretty labor intensive but the material cost isn't that much. I get the barrels for free from my local car wash, and the poles, chain, and hardware from the local farm supply. That one probably cost me around 20 bucks because I already had the chain.
Chain has gone up a lot in the past few years though. I used to pay about 48 cents a foot for galvanized 3/16" coil chain, but now it's at least twice that. With around 30 feet per basket (mach two design), it adds up.
They are very solid though. That blue one was the first one I ever built, and it's still just as solid as ever, after almost 14 years now. It also collapses into itself for easy storage and portability, with a steel base that fits inside. The pole is separate of course.

I like the basket hanging from a tree. That has to be a lot of fun in a stiff breeze with the branches swinging back and forth. Looks like a neat course that I have to check out if I am ever in the area.

-Dave

That one used to be in a local city park (Kentwood) before a tree landed on it during a hurricane that came through here. It was bent up pretty bad so the course pro there donated it to the course after the city replaced it. I managed to straighten it mostly back out but it could only sit straight if hung like that from a tree. There's a length of chain inside the PVC pipe supporting the weight.

I have another older Innova basket that suffered much worse damage in hurrican Fran in '96. That one's REALLY scary to putt at...lol....but it catches puts just fine if you drill it in the middle. It's actually one of the most aced baskets on the course. You'd never believe it though if you saw it.

That's something that some people, who are too serious about the game, can't seem to grasp. When some of these courses were built, it was on a shoestring budget, and different people made or donated different targets for the holes til there were finally 18 holes. They evolved slowly and very uniquely. My goal when I first set out to build my course was to have 18 totally different baskets so each hole was a different challenge and a piece of local history. Different people make them different ways. My original layout consisted of 9 totally different baskets that we played around one way, then back the other, and it was just as fun as any public course. To some, it's all about FUN... not who has the most perfect scores or the most courses or reviews under their belt.

Yes those hanging baskets can be really fun in a breeze. One of our local private courses is called "Swingin' DB's" and before they raised enough money to buy some nice new baskets, they were all hanging baskets, either supported by big metal frames made of conduit, or from trees, and even cables strung between trees (hence the course name...DB is the owner). THOSE are really wild to putt at when the wind is in the trees. They bob up and down, and side to side simultaniously. It's mind blowing but pretty damned fun.

I'll share this with you, you get used to putting most of the time on homemade baskets, and you are flat out deadly when you get on a course full of Mach 3's or the like!

Black layout

Personally, I like the Black (original) layout the best. I love water holes and that layout has the most holes that play over or near water. With the pond in the middle Higher Ground is very scenic and peaceful. Shannon and Joy are also very friendly and hospitable folks.

Overall, coming up with 3 layouts in that amount of space was very creative.

P.S.- I also have good memories from the one Piedmont Random Doubles Tour event that I played there. I was paired with Leslie Herndon (former U.S. Woman's Champion), who was touring with Cameron Todd at the time. Leslie even gave my young daughter a quick lesson!