• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

This Is Why I Play

KenCo12

I played for the 2nd time this year, and 2nd time in two years yesterday, and rekindled why I love the game. I used to play more than once a week from 2005-2010 including cold and snowy days in Michigan. It took me almost 4 years to hit 'par' at Firefighters in Troy, but it was more the fact that I just enjoyed the relaxing part of the game, and now the how well (or bad) I did.

I played in the league because just like any other casual sport (Bowling, Darts, ball golf) you play on the same card as friends who also enjoy the game. I played on nearly the same card (adding and losing people here and there) for those 6 years, and it was always a pleasure playing. Getting outside, walking the course, enjoying nature, and enjoying a game where almost 100 people are out there weekly at the league enjoying it with you is just a great feeling, especially when everyone is friendly and willing to lend a helping hand.

The outdoors allows me to grab a nice cigar to enjoy while on the course, and I think my card-mates would agree that it helps me balance myself while I play (at least because I typically start to do bad when it's gone). Due to work, I don't get to play too much, but playing this past Labor Day weekend really makes me want to go back. Not to buy the latest plastic, to update my 'disc bag', or try to score my first Ace... but to see those people who are fun to play with, who enjoy the game as much as I do, and who don't mind the smell of a nice cigar!

I guess what I'm getting to, is that I'm back, and ready to throw my Z Tracker, DX Shark, KC Pro Avair, and Gateway Sabre.

See you guys on the courses in Troy!

some good guys and gals play out at firefighters. im not there too often but always have fun when im able to make it. maybe ill see ya out that way.

Im currently in college and do not look forward to the day that I graduate and have to get a real job, because I know it will cut into my disc golf playing time. I do not mind work but I love to play disc golf.

Im currently in college and do not look forward to the day that I graduate and have to get a real job, because I know it will cut into my disc golf playing time. I do not mind work but I love to play disc golf.

It doesn't have to get in the way too much. I still play after work almost every day!

Get a job where you work nights! I work nights, and get to play on the way home from work at 7 a.m. :hfive:

[QUOTEsome good guys and gals play out at firefighters. im not there too often but always have fun when im able to make it. maybe ill see ya out that way.
][/QUOTE]

There are some good firefighters that play too. I'm with ya. I play just to unwind after a long shift. Some of the traumatic calls we run and dealing with death on a daily basis gets to ya in some way or another. DG is my time. Being a FF, I seem to have plenty of it too. Great thread

I began playing when I was in grad school with most of my classes at night. You get pretty spoiled going to courses in the late morning on a weekday. I remember thinking, "Why do people say Borderland is busy? I never see more than two or three people there!"

Welcome back, sir! May you find lifelong fulfillment and bliss from this amazing sport that we all love. What you are looking for in the game is what I believe we should all be looking for from it at least in some respect.

I play nearly every day after work. Granted, I am off by 3:30 so I have plenty of free time until my wife gets home at 6:00.

You will be making a mistake if you get a job outside of college that eats up all of your free time. Not just because you can't play disc golf, but because life is not about sitting behind a desk for 60 hours a week. Enjoy your youth, it is very limited.

Walking the course is almost like meditating. It's relaxing, allowing you to just forget about real life issues, and allows you to focus the disc itself.

Everyone knows I'm on the course though with my patented "AWWWW KEN" scream whenever I over turn or hold on to the disc for too long. It's interesting to adapt back from playing GUTS Frisbee this past weekend, as you're going from a 110g large lip mold to a heavier driver.

Two words. Night job.

Latest posts