• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

This is why we yell, "Fore!"

A part of my rant from last week was just to avoid such a thing. And that woman I was ranting about definitely knew what was going on , but almost assuredly she had no clue on the harm she was potentially getting herself and her 3 clueless dogs into. I like the yellow and black warning signs and think they should be posted at every public multi use park. And theose types of signs are a must as the sports continue to grow. I think injuries like this or even worse injuries are more likely to get courses pulled than any other reason. Insurance costs and park liability means $$$ And money is always the thing that gets action.

Here is the map:
http://www.dgcoursereview.com/course_files/899/33da34b3.pdf

Unless it was on hole 9 which seems to be the only one with a blind throw then both the victim and perps were idiots.

Now...and this would be my bias and "experience" showing through, there is a good chance that several people commented to her that day or the people she was with and they probably shot them the "this is a public park" crap...if that is the case, enjoy the shiner.

If the incident went down with "hey look theres people in the fairway, 10 points for the lady" then WE were the dicks and we suck and should do better.

Yelling "Fore!" Just won't help much. Other disc golfers will know, understand and be on the alert if they hear it. Others clueless to the sport or the potential danger would be just as clueless to someone yelling in a park.

Most of us are very prudent. And we all have our own ways of dealing with clueless folks from trying to educate, to waiting patiently, to going around them. But the real danger here is the blind holes. And folks appearing out of nowhere from the woods.

Warning signs are the way to go.

I think I'm gonna make a copy of that pic and keep it with me. I saw that same D-bag woman again this past Monday although she was never in harms way. She waved to me. I waved back. But armed with the picture I might have a friendly chat with her and show her why I didn't want to throw. And why she is foolishly and needlessly endangering herself and her doggies by walking arrogantly and ignorantly walking thru blind spots in the course when there is several hundred acres of "safe" park to walk her dogs..

This is why course designers and park personel need to think about how close dg gets to the other things in the park. We have this issue at one of the parks near where I live (Jehrico Lake) that has Soccer fields about 10 ft off the fairway. I don't know about people being hit, but I have been there before and there are small children climbing on the basket. I end up skipping the hole while the games are going, but I can't speak for everyone who goes out there. Andn since all of the people there are spanish speaking, WTF do I yell? "QUATRO!"

As you the lady in the story, she said that there were no warning signs in the park, not that she wasn't warned of the incoming disc. That is evident in the way she got hit in the face. She obviously heard them yell, was confused and turned to see what was up. Then it smashed her face in. I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that people there are going to be more aware in the future after this, which is the only good to come of the situation.

As you the lady in the story, she said that there were no warning signs in the park, not that she wasn't warned of the incoming disc. That is evident in the way she got hit in the face. She obviously heard them yell, was confused and turned to see what was up. Then it smashed her face in.

Was just thinking the same thing..........she HAD to be looking at the tee or the thrower let loose a meat-hook hyzer shot. Either way that pic should be included next to the black/yellow sign.

Craigd, check you PMs

Last edited:
This was unfortunate. I truly feel sorry for this lady. Hopefully she was a martyr or sorts...her getting hit got the signs installed and hopefully that will prevent other from getting hit.

I yell "DUCK"!

"Fore" doesn't work for nonDGer's and "Head's Up" usually ends up with someone getting hit in the head.

Here is the map:
http://www.dgcoursereview.com/course_files/899/33da34b3.pdf

Unless it was on hole 9 which seems to be the only one with a blind throw then both the victim and perps were idiots.

Now...and this would be my bias and "experience" showing through, there is a good chance that several people commented to her that day or the people she was with and they probably shot them the "this is a public park" crap...if that is the case, enjoy the shiner.

If the incident went down with "hey look theres people in the fairway, 10 points for the lady" then WE were the dicks and we suck and should do better.

I have played that course there is no blind hole. if the thrower didn't care she was there and threw anyway, shame on them. I think I will print up some signs for my home course for good measure

I have played that course there is no blind hole. if the thrower didn't care she was there and threw anyway, shame on them. I think I will print up some signs for my home course for good measure

agreed, i have played it a number of times over the years and there is nowhere on it a disc can actually get where you can't see.

OK DG Course Review detectives, find out who did this, what type of disc it was, and whether or not the thrower got it back???
Seriously, this is like my worst nightmare and a reason why I don't like playing courses unless they are dedicated to DG. I'll never forget 2 summers ago, the old course at Paco, in Denver...there was this big fgamily having a picnic in these sparse trees right between 2 fairways on a fiarly popular course on a day when a lot of folks were out playing...I teed off last, didn't want to tee off for fear I would turn my wrist over and shank it into the woods...I didn't though, I threw a freaking perfect drive...and as soon as it left my hand, this little 3 year old boy comes running out of the "woods"....We all yelled "Fore" and "Watch out!!!" as loud as we could which just made the little boy stop, turn, look, and BAM!!! Right in the forehead....250 feet with a 169 Reaper. We ran up and my friends and I were all repeating "Lo siento!" over and over...the little boy was crying and his parents were very gracious...but that little guy already had a huge welt forming and I could see a cut made by the disc....
To this day I still feel terrible and am super paranoid about hitting people on the course....

It is bad PR but there are so many people who just disregard their own safety because all we are throwing are "Stupid Frisbees".

These same idiots wouldn't picnic on a horseshoe pit would they?

Sorry about the chick and all but for some reason I doubt this was the first disc that flew that day and she probably watched a dozen golfers go by and didn't even give a thought to it.

Shame on the thrower, but I doubt that there was no sign. I'm with you bill. At the very least a basket was probably in sight.

I've thrown at a local course when there was a car parked on the fairway. The hole went along the outfield of a softball field and the car parked behind right field. There were numerous signs that said no parking on the grass and a parking lot 100 feet away, so I went ahead and threw my XCal. The tree they were under probably saved a window. Not the smartest thing to do, but the people weren't there, and there were several warnings not to park your car on the grass. It is also a fairly highly used course and they parked dead center of hole 1's fairway.

I mean, I hate to be heartless about this kind of stuff but our sport seems to be the only one where people simply do not give a crap to understand that they are on our "field".

Nobody would picnic in center field, nobody would picnic on the 50 yardline and nobody would let their kid make sand castles in a golf bunker...yet, here we are, constantly being encroached on and then people get outraged when they get hurt...seriously...go have a candlelight dinner in a racquetball court...sheesh.

Hopefully the fact that the signs were put up so quick the community will see there are people that care about the sport and don't want the course taken away because of something like someone getting hit.

OK DG Course Review detectives, find out who did this, what type of disc it was, and whether or not the thrower got it back???
Seriously, this is like my worst nightmare and a reason why I don't like playing courses unless they are dedicated to DG. I'll never forget 2 summers ago, the old course at Paco, in Denver...there was this big fgamily having a picnic in these sparse trees right between 2 fairways on a fiarly popular course on a day when a lot of folks were out playing...I teed off last, didn't want to tee off for fear I would turn my wrist over and shank it into the woods...I didn't though, I threw a freaking perfect drive...and as soon as it left my hand, this little 3 year old boy comes running out of the "woods"....We all yelled "Fore" and "Watch out!!!" as loud as we could which just made the little boy stop, turn, look, and BAM!!! Right in the forehead....250 feet with a 169 Reaper. We ran up and my friends and I were all repeating "Lo siento!" over and over...the little boy was crying and his parents were very gracious...but that little guy already had a huge welt forming and I could see a cut made by the disc....
To this day I still feel terrible and am super paranoid about hitting people on the course....

I've never actually hit someone, but I've had some close calls at my home course. Holes 2-4 play across (and up) a big hill that usually has people jogging, biking, or just hanging out. I was about to tee off on #2 and there was a group of people sitting right where my drives usually land. I yelled and waved a disc to try to tell them what's up, but they just waved back. I did this a couple times until they yelled "Go ahead, throw."

Well I did, but I aimed way off to the left. My forehand hyzered more than I expected and came crashing down about three feet away from them. They asked what I was doing and I explained it to them. They moved quickly afterward.

Shame on the thrower, but I doubt that there was no sign. I'm with you bill. At the very least a basket was probably in sight.

I've thrown at a local course when there was a car parked on the fairway. The hole went along the outfield of a softball field and the car parked behind right field. There were numerous signs that said no parking on the grass and a parking lot 100 feet away, so I went ahead and threw my XCal. The tree they were under probably saved a window. Not the smartest thing to do, but the people weren't there, and there were several warnings not to park your car on the grass. It is also a fairly highly used course and they parked dead center of hole 1's fairway.

I've seen the parked car thing several times at Joseph Davis and once on an obviously condemmed road used as a fairway at Emery. Anytime I've seen the owners/drivers I've tried to educate them. Most folks were gracious and thankful. One was knowledgeable of the potential damage, but arrogantly kept his car in the way (Emery) and the other an older geezer than myself became confrontational. In both cases there were several other safe places to park very close by where they did park. In both arrogant cases I hope they get get a cracked window or a nice dent. There is just no helping some people.

I mean, I hate to be heartless about this kind of stuff but our sport seems to be the only one where people simply do not give a crap to understand that they are on our "field".

Nobody would picnic in center field, nobody would picnic on the 50 yardline and nobody would let their kid make sand castles in a golf bunker...yet, here we are, constantly being encroached on and then people get outraged when they get hurt...seriously...go have a candlelight dinner in a racquetball court...sheesh.

problems with this:
dg is not as readily recognized as the other sports
dg courses are all different and rarely have defined perimeters
dg'ers can sometimes make some wickedly errant throws

While I agree with that sentiment, I would hate to have that be a requirement. I've played a lot of courses that share certain portions with other park amenities. The Pease Park course is squeezed into a narrow park and many parts of the course meander quite close to the hike and bike trail. I'd hate to not have half the holes at Pease because their fairways traverse too close to the jogging trail.

Even when parks have space dedicated only to DG, non-DGers still manage to find their way there. For example, the back 9 at Hornets Nest in Charlotte is disc golf only - No walking trails, ball fields, nothing. Yet, several times a year, I'll come across a person/people walking fairways, thinking the fairways and paths are trails.

Also, some people are just plain clueless/stupid. I was playing with a friend at another course in Charlotte (Sugaw Creek) over the weekend. We get to the teepad at one hole, and while we set our bags down and get ready to throw, some guy walks over. He stops about 15 - 20 feet from the front right of the teepad, at about a 45 degree angle, to watch us throw. Now, it would have taken a flukish shot for a disc to go his direction, but what kind of genius essentially walks right in front of people throwing discs to watch them throw, especially after one person has just throw that direction?