• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Recommend] Thoughts on OS mid-ranges

Hmm very interesting, thank you for the reccomendations . What do you mean by "actually overstable" discs that would be too beefy for throwers of my distance?

There are VERY OS midrange discs vs ones which are stable to OS and much more workable (straight with a little fade at the end)

check out this: http://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13546 for more background on OS vs stable mids and how they work for peoples games. Persoanlly I would stay away from anything "Very" overstable or "actually" as the other person said.

If your issue is that the discs are not fading enough well then I wouldn't worry at all which mold you are throwing but leanring how to make them fly the line you want. Any midrange can be manipulated to fly different lines due to its slower speed.

Star Mako
X Comet
Buzz SS
DX Roc (beat)

all of these should be capable of the same shots.

i dont think i would suggest a drone or gator for you just yet. you would be better served going with a Hornet, Verdict, or M2.

What you go with should really depend what you choose to go with out of the ones above. a Z Buzzz and Buzzz SS compliment each other well. a M2 and comet would do well. or you could couple the M2 with the two Rocs.

I carry:

FLX Drone (mega overstable)
400s M2 (slightly overstable)
Z Buzzz (stable)
Z Buzzz-SS (slightly understable)
ESP Comet (understable)

I'd recommend X Comet, BuzzzSS and M2 as a good threesome for your power level.

Mids I have thrown that seemed less stable than advertised: Obex, Pain.

Mids I have thrown that are definitely stable to OS: Hornet, Suspect, Roc.

Mids I have thrown that seemed less stable than advertised: Obex, Pain.

Mids I have thrown that are definitely stable to OS: Hornet, Suspect, Roc.

first time i threw an Obex I was like "yay it flies like an old roc" then i threw it about 50 more times and never got it to fly overstable again. i actually found the Ridge to be more reliably overstable.....

Thank you so much for all your recommendations and resources. I should've listed the weights in the 1st post my bad, and I'm sure (actually I can feel it) that many of my mids are overlapping. I feel that I am still in the stage of trying to find what works best for my, and I have not settled on any particular mold, plastic, or brand. Here's the weights:

Star Mako: 180
X Comet: 170
Buzzz SS: 168
DX Roc (Beat): 172
DX Roc: 180

I use a GL Mace, a RGL Mace and a Z Zone for my O/S mid shots.................

Thank you so much for all your recommendations and resources. I should've listed the weights in the 1st post my bad, and I'm sure (actually I can feel it) that many of my mids are overlapping. I feel that I am still in the stage of trying to find what works best for my, and I have not settled on any particular mold, plastic, or brand. Here's the weights:

Star Mako: 180
X Comet: 170
Buzzz SS: 168
DX Roc (Beat): 172
DX Roc: 180

do you notice yourself being more confident when throwing a particular one of these mids?

I have a lucid verdict that I use for my overstable mid. Workable an not way too overstable. For comparison purposes my average golf driving distance is around 330ish.

Lucid verdict has been great to me. Not so OS its not useable. Great in the wind too.

If you're throwing 300, then the verdict well fly straight with a very nice fade at the end. Not a hook out of the hand that is unable except for utility. Before I used the hornet which was a tad bit more OS, but since I started with the verdict, I use it for more and more shots just because of the shots it can cover from stable to OS. You can also try a suspect...while not truly OS, it has great HSS. If you want truly OS look into a gator or trident.

I say since you are already familiar with the feel of the roc go with a max weight roc3

Most Roc throwers I know just power down on a Stalker for the overstable mid-range distance shots. Fairway drivers are pretty much always better in the wind, and a headwind tends to cut down the distance anyways. Personally, I just use a Cryztal Z Zone and an Opto Trident for anything the Zone can't reach.

Z Zones are money! I like the glo-z. Really comfortable for FH throws. Sometimes wonder if I really need it with a Predator and Roc already in the bag. A great mold though!

Latest posts