• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Thoughts on standardizing baskets for tournaments?

The clear answer is to standardize entire courses. Have the same holes, same trees, same OB, same baskets, same teepads. Then we'll never be surprised...

The clear answer is to standardize entire courses. Have the same holes, same trees, same OB, same baskets, same teepads. Then we'll never be surprised...

I do get the impression some of the whinier Pro players want exactly that, and even the reasonable Pros are generally against unorthodox design. Don't blame them at all because they are struggling to make a middle class, at best, income on tour, and suprizes on the course tend to favor the locals.

BUT I don't give a crap about touring pro wants and needs. I think homogenized courses would lessen the experience for the over 99.99% of players not trying to make a living wage off of disc golf.

Only if I were professionally competing and was expecting a consistent color mix for perfect nutrient balance and good karma.

If you were getting paid to eat candy professionally, you'd better be willing, happy, and eager to take whatever colors they want to feed you.

Standards evolve. If everyone was adamant enough in the early 1980s, we'd all have single chain Mach-Is.
Which would be preferable over some of the rock-hard chain assemblies we have now (which virtually mandate the "throw hard, putt harder" game we have now).

I always get a kick out of watching the hard putters' look on their faces when have to do a short, soft putt and the disc bounces back out off those designed-to-be-impenetrable chain systems.

They act like they've been betrayed.

Which would be preferable over some of the rock-hard chain assemblies we have now (which virtually mandate the "throw hard, putt harder" game we have now).

Ya know you make a decent point.

I do get the impression some of the whinier Pro players want exactly that, and even the reasonable Pros are generally against unorthodox design. Don't blame them at all because they are struggling to make a middle class, at best, income on tour, and suprizes on the course tend to favor the locals.

BUT I don't give a crap about touring pro wants and needs. I think homogenized courses would lessen the experience for the over 99.99% of players not trying to make a living wage off of disc golf.

I'm curious if we fast forward 20 years from now if there will simply be tournament courses that are only used for professional tournaments where specific guidelines are met leaving the everyday parks/courses for the local players.. Although the more I think about it, wavering from some of the flagship courses that are in major tournaments would be crushing to the industry I would think.

I'm curious if we fast forward 20 years from now if there will simply be tournament courses that are only used for professional tournaments where specific guidelines are met leaving the everyday parks/courses for the local players.. Although the more I think about it, wavering from some of the flagship courses that are in major tournaments would be crushing to the industry I would think.

Divergence is inevitable. There is ping-pong and table tennis, pool and billiards, American League pitching and National League pitching; the question is what will the distinctions be and when will it happen.

Thankfully it WON'T be superclass. . .

You oldens are so cute!

I'm very in favor of making the vast majority of disc golfers miserable with rule and/or technology changes, but lids fly like sick animals and seeing them makes me just a little queasy.
When the olden is on the Tech Standards Committee, the remarks have some traction. Super Class will never become THE standard but continue to be AN option that potentially increases in popularity for certain specific recreational applications that haven't been tapped yet.

I'm not saying super class will die, im just saying almost no one will ever care it's alive.

A significance divergence of the sport and/or game will inevitably occur but for the vast majority superclass will not be that divergence and therefore not significant.

I'm not saying super class will die, im just saying almost no one will ever care it's alive.

A significance divergence of the sport and/or game will inevitably occur but for the vast majority superclass will not be that divergence and therefore not significant.
Your opinion. I think mine's more likely. Not that it matters. I have no stake in them.

You oldens are so cute!

I'm very in favor of making the vast majority of disc golfers miserable with rule and/or technology changes, but lids fly like sick animals and seeing them makes me just a little queasy.

Can I just say these are two of my favorite quotes, ever. Rock on, brother: tell it like it is.

And there in lies the problem. Time for some new blood at the top that isn't still living in 1982.
If only there were younger folks willing to volunteer that were qualified. We've had open invitations at various times but few takers and those that did have bailed. It's not an exciting committee, just a grind primarily processing new disc and target submissions. I'm the youngster disc golfer on the team starting in 1989 and the only one without a Doctorate, just Masters. Sure, let's get some new blood. Who's qualified and volunteering?

If only there were younger folks willing to volunteer that were qualified. We've had open invitations at various times but few takers and those that did have bailed. It's not an exciting committee, just a grind primarily processing new disc and target submissions. I'm the youngster disc golfer on the team starting in 1989 and the only one without a Doctorate, just Masters. Sure, let's get some new blood. Who's qualified and volunteering?

With Brian Graham apparently entrenched for life, any new blood will be quickly whitewashed away, I'm sure. Change needs to be wanted for it to happen.

Maybe try a classified ad in Discgolfer magazine, I hear that's the best way to recruit youngsters these days...

Superclass>sharp discs

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    66.5 KB · Views: 13
And there in lies the problem. Time for some new blood at the top that isn't still living in 1982.

This is pretty laughable in my area. Grandmasters continue to pull the majority of the weight. They petition the powers that be for courses, design, build and maintain them. They run the tournaments and leagues. They amazingly focus their energies on making sure the game is giving back to the community and charity. I spend a lot of time listening to "youngun" whine, complain, and spend a lot of energy, telling anyone who will listen, how they would do things differently. I realize this is not exclusive, but sure is the rule of thumb here. Step up, man. I am sure the olduns would love to turn over the reins. We get tired easier than we used to.

Superclass is not about nostalgia, it is about safety and space considerations.

Latest posts