• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

three or four finger power grip?

ToneBone69

I have always used a three finger power grip (tucking my pinky in, not touching the disc) for all of my drives and most of my shots with my mid ranges to get the most out of the disc. If I use all four fingers will it really change my distance all that much?

Cheers

I used to use all 4 but had to alter my grip to a 3 finger power grip due to a finger injury. It seems more comfortable for me and I have stuck with it. I think the difference to distance is negligible when compared to some other things (reachback, snap, speed, grip strength, etc.).

I have always used a three finger power grip (tucking my pinky in, not touching the disc) for all of my drives and most of my shots with my mid ranges to get the most out of the disc. If I use all four fingers will it really change my distance all that much?

Cheers

Yes. It will *definitely* increase your distance to switch to a four-finger grip. I was in exactly your circumstances.. I started playing using a three-finger grip, with the pinky tucked under. From someone's recommendation, I tried switching to a four-finger grip.. and immediately gained almost precisely 20ft. of distance on every throw. I did have a few extra grip-locked drives right after switching, though.. it took a little getting used to. But afterwards I've found a four-finger grip is considerably more accurate than my old three-finger one, as well.

So yes, make the switch. Once you get used to it, you won't regret it. :)

Yes. It will *definitely* increase your distance to switch to a four-finger grip. I was in exactly your circumstances.. I started playing using a three-finger grip, with the pinky tucked under. From someone's recommendation, I tried switching to a four-finger grip.. and immediately gained almost precisely 20ft. of distance on every throw. I did have a few extra grip-locked drives right after switching, though.. it took a little getting used to. But afterwards I've found a four-finger grip is considerably more accurate than my old three-finger one, as well.

So yes, make the switch. Once you get used to it, you won't regret it. :)

Thanks! yeah I was worried about grip lock, because that happens to me every once in a while anyways, but I think I'll try it out after work. Thanks for the help guys.

The term Griplock like many other terms in disc golf is rather missleading. It really doesn't have anything to do with the grip it's self. It's all abot the timing of your mechanics, it was a common misconception it was caused by the grip by the older guys till they realized. The timing of your throw mechanics is what determines the majority of your release point.

I switched from a three to a two finger grip, and picked up distance and accuracy. Go figure.

The term Griplock like many other terms in disc golf is rather missleading. It really doesn't have anything to do with the grip it's self. It's all abot the timing of your mechanics, it was a common misconception it was caused by the grip by the older guys till they realized. The timing of your throw mechanics is what determines the majority of your release point.

THANK YOU!!! ...

Nope. All better! No more cheatin' for me!;)

We gotta throw a round again. I see you have a travel tag. Tim won't come out and play. Something about being away from the interwebz too long!

Totally man, Going to check out Churchville in about an hour or so, Got all day Saturday to play too.

Tim actually Texted me about a week ago, I'd like to play with everyone again soon.

I throw most discs with a four-finger grip, but switch to a 3-finger or even a 2-finger grip when throwing the big-rimmed drivers. I do it more for comfort than anything else, and if I had bigger hands I would probably use a four-finger grip on all discs.

i switched from a 3 to four finger powergrip 4 years ago or so- one of the biggest jumps in distance ive had, thanks to a local pro.

It was playing around with a two finger grip, that I realized what was wrong with my four finger grip. Whatever works, Bratten uses a two finger grip and bombs with the best of them.

I switched from a 4 finger to a 3 finger and it removed almost all the wobble (oat) from my throws. I figured this out after watching a bunch of videos on youtube and several trips to my local open field. Turns out big hands are bad for a four finger grip. I also started consciously increasing my reach back and my distance and accuracy are improving with every outing.

I tried 3 finger and its not for me. 4 finger grip helps me get more snap and a better line

Latest posts